i need help with getting 144hz

Retr0_C0brA
2 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

Ok so memory bandwidth is not important here as it basically is to do with the processing of frames within the GPU not about the outputs.

you need an HDMI bandwidth of about 32bits=4 bytes (colour)*1920*1080*120 = 995,328,000 bytes roughly 1GB/s of cable/HMDI connector bandwidth.

im seeing something fishy whenever i go onto the disply setting in the control panel it says under my monitor and laptop display (Display Connected to intel (R) HD Graphics 630) and btw whenever i drag thing over to my monitor they are not hd plus when i go in PhysX configuration in the nivida control panel it says that bot of my screens are connected to Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 rather than GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

8 minutes ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

btw i couldn't change the refresh rate from the control panel because i had the the displays duplicated but when i split them and took the control panel to the monitors side i could actually change it but only to 60hz

OK recommend having them "extended" so that your laptop monitor has task manager or whatever show 1050ti usage and your external monitor with the game on it that way the GPU that is outputting to the external monitor SHOULD be the one with significant usage (although the iGPU should have pretty high usage no matter what it's doing so look for if the 1050ti is 1-5% or if it's significantly higher - I reccomend setting your settings in game to max also to make sure the usage is as high as possible.

But I also just thought as I believe forza horizon is a console game? It might be locked @ 60fps and also might be poorly optimized for PC so might just get very poor performance so I would try another easy to run game like minecraft.

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

52 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

OK so firstly does your GPU monitor AND your cable support HDMI 2.0 because if it isn't supported at just one link in the chain you won't get 144hz

Also what game are you playing? Because a) bethseda games like fallout 4 tend to lock you to 60fps and b) v sync can be enabled at many different places be it your drivers your game etc.

But even if you had vsync it should only enable itself at 144hz?

3rd question: have you actually set your monitor to 144hz? does it specifically say 144 in your nVidia control panel or AMD equivalent?

4th question have you enabled it in windows? (Via your display adapter?) In display adapter properties you may need to set it to 144hz.

That should do it but your driver or frame counter could be locking you to 60 fps or even your game could just be running really steadily at 60fps.

Many things could be going on I need more information.

HDMI 2.0 is not required for 144 Hz. Whether you'll be able to get 1080p 120/144 Hz over HDMI has basically nothing to do with HDMI versions, since nearly every PC monitor and source in the last decade uses a "version" high enough to potentially support it.

42 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Don't get me wrong, but you might be out of luck then.

If your laptop's output doesn't offer the right standard/enough bandwidth, you might not be able to use the 144 hz that your monitor supports.

42 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

So whats your setup is your monitor external and you're running off of a laptop?

in which case the hdmi output from your laptop might not support 144hz because again it needs to have the bandwidth at every link in the chain.

24 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

OK well ngl that isn't very helpful. My best guess would be that your monitor is communicating to your laptop that it can run @ 120hz but it can't be set to that refresh rate because of the graphics card in your laptop not having a high enough bandwidth HDMI connection.

So basically it again lands at it's probably the laptop not being capable of 120hz not the cable or the monitor but if i had the laptop specs/model number I could tell you more.

Unless he's using Intel HD Graphics from a few generations ago, it's not a matter of output bandwidth. The laptop should be able to handle 120+ Hz just fine.

The limitation is the monitor. The OP has a BenQ XL2411 according to his profile at least, which is limited to 60 Hz at 1080p over HDMI, that's all there is to it.

I suggest everyone read this:

1 minute ago, TechMasterMind said:

OK recommend having them "extended" so that your laptop monitor has task manager or whatever show 1050ti usage and your external monitor with the game on it that way the GPU that is outputting to the external monitor SHOULD be the one with significant usage (although the iGPU should have pretty high usage no matter what it's doing so look for if the 1050ti is 1-5% or if it's significantly higher - I reccomend setting your settings in game to max also to make sure the usage is as high as possible.

But I also just thought as I believe forza horizon is a console game? It might be locked @ 60fps and also might be poorly optimized for PC so might just get very poor performance so I would try another easy to run game like minecraft.

yeah sure alright

1 minute ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

im seeing something fishy whenever i go onto the disply setting in the control panel it says under my monitor and laptop display (Display Connected to intel (R) HD Graphics 630) and btw whenever i drag thing over to my monitor they are not hd plus when i go in PhysX configuration in the nivida control panel it says that bot of my screens are connected to Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 rather than GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Aha! Eureka! Now I have a gt 930 laptop so I've actually done this before! In nVidia control panel in manage 3d settings - global settings you should be able to change your defalt GPU to the 1050ti form intel hd graphics.

If even this dosn't work you might wanna just straight up disable your iGPU (which I would do anyway) but BE CAREFUL if that goes wrong you might have to reinstall windows.

10 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

HDMI 2.0 is not required for 144 Hz. Whether you'll be able to get 1080p 120/144 Hz over HDMI has basically nothing to do with HDMI versions, since nearly every PC monitor and source in the last decade uses a "version" high enough to potentially support it.

Unless he's using Intel HD Graphics from a few generations ago, it's not a matter of output bandwidth. The laptop should be able to handle 120+ Hz just fine.

The limitation is the monitor. The OP has a BenQ XL2411 according to his profile at least, which is limited to 60 Hz at 1080p over HDMI, that's all there is to it.

I suggest everyone read this:

Here lies the issue though we simply don't know if intel hd graphics support 120hz even on 7th gen on my 5th gen it certainly dosn't and even just 2 graphics generations ago I believe either some AMD or nVidia cards were hounded for not supporting HDMI 2.0 and hense 4k (although I would have to look into that. The point is this IS HDMI and do you really expect on whats probably a  60hz laptop for the user to be gaming on an external 120hz screen? Well they probably should but it WOULD NOT be the first time a manufacturer has made a silly decision like this.

P.S. also the eventual goal is 144hz and only hdmi 2.0 supports that.

Just now, TechMasterMind said:

Here lies the issue though we simply don't know if intel hd graphics support 120hz even on 7th gen on my 5th gen it certainly dosn't and even just 2 graphics generations ago I believe either some AMD or nVidia cards were hounded for not supporting HDMI 2.0 and hense 4k (although I would have to look into that. The point is this IS HDMI and do you really expect on whats probably a  60hz laptop for the user to be gaming on an external 120hz screen? Well they probably should but it WOULD NOT be the first time a manufacturer has made a silly decision like this.

11 minutes ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

yeah sure alright

Cool tell me when you've tried it.

Cool tell me when you've tried it.

im trying rainbow six siege right now give me a second let me check

3 minutes ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

im trying rainbow six siege right now give me a second let me check

Okie dokie, let me guess free weekend?

1 minute ago, TechMasterMind said:

still stuck at 60fps and i know why because im still on intel graphics how do i disable them?

5 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

P.S. also the eventual goal is 144hz and only hdmi 2.0 supports that.

Refresh rates aren't something you support or don't support as an output device. You just have a total amount of bandwidth, and anything that fits within that bandwidth is possible.

Yes, I do expect almost any laptop to be capable of driving a 1080p 120 Hz monitor, it only has to do with the output capabilities of the GPU driving the video ports.

Intel HD graphics used to be limited to 225 Mpx/s back in the Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge days. I'm not sure exactly when it was changed, but as soon as they started supporting enough bandwidth for 4K 30 Hz over HDMI, this also meant 1080p 120 Hz was supported. Regardless, the laptop also has an NVIDIA chip which should be capable of 1080p 120 Hz over HDMI if he can disable NVIDIA Optimus.

But anyway, neither of these things will help in this case, because the monitor itself is limited to 60 Hz at 1080p over HDMI. Maybe can get it up to 85 Hz with custom resolutions.

9 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Refresh rates aren't something you support or don't support as an output device. You just have a total amount of bandwidth, and anything that fits within that bandwidth is possible.

Yes, I do expect almost any laptop to be capable of driving a 1080p 120 Hz monitor, it only has to do with the output capabilities of the GPU driving the video ports.

Intel HD graphics used to be limited to 225 Mpx/s back in the Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge days. I'm not sure exactly when it was changed, but as soon as they started supporting enough bandwidth for 4K 30 Hz over HDMI, this also meant 1080p 120 Hz was supported. Regardless, the laptop also has an NVIDIA chip which should be capable of 1080p 120 Hz over HDMI if he can disable NVIDIA Optimus.

But anyway, neither of these things will help in this case, because the monitor itself is limited to 60 Hz at 1080p over HDMI. Maybe can get it up to 85 Hz with custom resolutions.

i disabled the intel graphics but now my monitor wont connect

2 minutes ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

still stuck at 60fps and i know why because im still on intel graphics how do i disable them?

Did you see one of my many replies? I recommended firstly go to nvidia control panel --> Manage 3D settings ---> Global settings ---> Preferred graphics processor --> High performance nVidia processor.

i disabled the intel graphics but now my monitor wont connect

I did say in that reply DO NOT DO THAT unless you know what you're doing or you might have to reinstall windows!

4 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

I did say in that reply DO NOT DO THAT unless you know what you're doing or you might have to reinstall windows!

yeah i enabled it dont worry

7 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

I do realise that it is a matter f bandwidths as I have said throughout this thread don't worry but I doubt this guy would be happy with 16 bit colour or a non native resolution ignoring the fact I don't want to confuse anyone while throwing around potentially new concepts. Also although colour compression might be an option but again i doubt intel hd graphics support that and even if it did and we could get more than 60hz I doubt you could make very much use out of it with intel hd graphics and the RAM in the laptop.

5 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

alright now how do i switch from intel graphics to my gtx 1050ti

yeah i enabled it dont worry

Phew OK firstly on that note is the nVidia graphics processor enabled?

alright now how do i switch from intel graphics to my gtx 1050ti

I said go to ----> nvidia control panel ---> manage 3D settings ----> Global settings ----> Preffered Graphics processor ----> And it should have a drop down option saying "High performance nvidia processor".

3 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

Phew OK firstly on that note is the nVidia graphics processor enabled?

yup

yup

OK now just go to nvidia control panel ---> manage 3D settings ----> Global settings ----> Preffered Graphics processor ----> And it should have a drop down option saying "High performance nvidia processor".

And try running the games again and see if the 1050ti is being used.

I said go to ----> nvidia control panel ---> manage 3D settings ----> Global settings ----> Preffered Graphics processor ----> And it should have a drop down option saying "High performance nvidia processor".

dosent work when i go over to display settings it still says that im on intel graphics

Just now, Retr0_C0brA said:

dosent work when i go over to display settings it still says that im on intel graphics

What menu are you in? Because I can't see any "display settings menu in my nvidia control panel?!?

Just now, TechMasterMind said:

What menu are you in? Because I can't see any "display settings menu in my nvidia control panel?!?

no in the normal settings menu