i wanna learn how to program

POTATODRAG
4 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

How many people can really know what something is like?For example finding information about what infosec is really like and how to get into it is impossible.

well i just ean that in retrospect something with a bit more contact with people would have been the healthier choicee i think. 

also i feel like doing it s a job they never let you do the things you want so without wanting to inflate my own ego here but it feels like if davinci was hired to just repaint a graden fence white if you get what i mean.

i feel like i could create something truly awesome in my own free time on my private projects but then at work im stuck fixing mondane problems in software structures way to old and outdated but obviously theres no money in reworking the whole thing. pretty much daily i get shot down for suggestinng to rework some mechanic or another but all i get is "youre assigned this task. we need this feature and only this. make it work in the system we have." which is fine i get it but still the lost potential is real. 

shouldve become a chiropracter or something :D 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

well i just ean that in retrospect something with a bit more contact with people would have been the healthier choicee i think. 

also i feel like doing it s a job they never let you do the things you want so without wanting to inflate my own ego here but it feels like if davinci was hired to just repaint a graden fence white if you get what i mean.

i feel like i could create something truly awesome in my own free time on my private projects but then at work im stuck fixing mondane problems in software structures way to old and outdated but obviously theres no money in reworking the whole thing. pretty much daily i get shot down for suggestinng to rework some mechanic or another but all i get is "youre assigned this task. we need this feature and only this. make it work in the system we have." which is fine i get it but still the lost potential is real. 

shouldve become a chiropracter or something :D 

I think having your hobby as a profession, especially early on, is a great way to at least learn more about your hobby, be it things that you should do or shouldn't do. Then use what you've learned to do your own things. I'm using the practical aspects I've learned from my career to develop things on the side with a clear path in mind rather than slap something together and hope it works.

But as for doing more interesting things at work rather than mundane tasks, you need to build up a level of respect and prove your worth before your leads will be comfortable giving you more interesting tasks. I wasn't given my first "interesting" task until I I hammered out a bunch of other mundane tasks. And even then, a lot of them was just to get familiar with the system. Some systems I've worked on have a steep learning curve, and these basic tasks help when getting understanding.

Regarding reworking things, the problem is that if the system is old enough, the customer is fine with the way the software performs, and depending on your customer, then there are cases where you shouldn't touch it. In my case, I work on software that's critical it just works. Yes there are things I would like to rework, but the it's likely it already has thousands of hours of use and the customer deems its reliable. Therefore, any changes adds risk to that reliability, regardless of how much of an improvement it may or may not bring. And if the customer didn't ask for it, it's usually not a good idea to do it.

So I guess the question I have for you is what were you expecting when you decided to take up software development as a career path?

EDIT: Since it's only fair I answer my own question, to be honest, I was sort of expecting something out of that scene in the Matrix when Neo shows up late for work. Imagine my surprise when I get my first job and everyone is chill, suits and ties were a thing of the past, and every other Friday is off because they do this different sort of schedule.

But what about the work itself? I honestly had no idea. At best all I could expect was the same level of work I did at school and programming was one of my best subjects. And it was daunting at first, but like college before, I just had to go in with the same tenacity: either I work hard at this, or I crash and burn.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:17 AM, POTATODRAG said:

i dont really know anything about programing and i wanna know it looks like its a lot of fun can someone help me learn :D

Programming ain't fun. Building cool things are fun. 

Do you like building things? 

Sudo make me a sandwich