Budget DAC(/Amp?)

BluJay614

Okay, so lately I've been having some issues with the headphone jack on my laptop, and it isn't wanting to feed audio. While I do have Bluetooth, I'd rather not have to constantly be concerned about the battery of the headphones and all the other issues that can present. So, I've thought about getting a USB DAC, possibly a DAC/AMP combo. Right now, I have a Kraken Pro v2(the Bass on them is a disappointment in my mind.), so I understand that an amp isn't needed. I would, however appreciate the additional functionality for the future should I decide to buy higher impedance headphones (something I have been eyeing). Budget is ~$50-60 USD, and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Something portable would be nice, though not entirely necessary.

I would absolutely love to help you! Well your dealing with audio, it is important to have vacuum tubes in both systems, You could use solid state but you will never get the sweetness of a tube amp/dac also you can't just have "a" dac you have to have a dac and a amp at the least. My system consisted of a preamp which is basically a control center to switch between outputs and inputs. I am going to give you a cheap dac and amp combination and also i would like to tell you right now upgrade to a vacuum tube amp and dac in the future it gives MUCH better sound. And also since you don't like your current headphones a perfect one would be the Grado sr80e's I've had these since I was 16 and they sound still today amazing. Absolute pinnacle of headphones for there price point. Also, a standard headphone jack is nowhere as nice as the setup I am about to present you. 

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com

Now assuming that you care about my message I will assume that your connecting you headphones too a digital output aka your laptop. Therefore we will need a USB A to USB B adapter that way you can connect your dac to your laptop. 

My current code projects

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

• working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

2 minutes ago, InMiseryWeSeekPancakes said:

Now assuming that you care about my message I will assume that your connecting you headphones too a digital output aka your laptop. Therefore we will need a USB A to USB B adapter that way you can connect your dac to your laptop. 

Can we please cut to the chase? I understand that you are very ecstatic about this, and I love good audio. I'm also not looking to replace my headset right now, but I do plan on that coming sometime down the road. I was already planning to be plugging it into my laptop via USB, and I understand what a digital output would be. I'm not intending to be rude, just not wanting to be lead through a wild goose chase.

My current code projects

Current repair projects

Its alright I just want to help Im sorry for being inconvenience here is the setup I'm sorry its a little over your price point. 

My current code projects

Current repair projects

2 minutes ago, InMiseryWeSeekPancakes said:

The DAC alone is outside the budget. I'm genuinely not interested in going outside of that price range either. I'm fine with needing to upgrade down the road or buy used, just not blowing more then what I can spend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F7120TQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Im sorry but you can't afford a dac that can connect to a laptop/pc so instead just use this. You'll be able to at least listen to sound I hope I helped this time.

My current code projects

Current repair projects

Hate to be a buzzkill here but you're just not going to get anything in that price range that's worth your money, you'll only wind up (at best) getting something that's going to disappoint you and make you wish you'd spent a bit more 

I've got no idea why "InMiseryWeSeekPancakes" is rambling on like a drunk person and posting weird (and flat-out incorrect) responses that seem more suited for a back-and-forth conversation via instant messaging or e-Mail than a forum...clueless here, really.  

OP, what's wrong with the headphones jack on your laptop? I would get that looked at if you have the means to do so, it's among the more rare components that I see fail on a laptop, regardless of the brand.  Assuming you haven't potentially mangled it by accident through either repetitive use and/or physical wear on the port.  Have you checked to make sure that it's not a system settings issue?  I assume you have, just asking as a force of habit.   I guess more importantly, my question to you would be - are you simply looking for a method to get decent sounding audio for the time being, until you presumably upgrade or fix your machine?  Because if that's the case, you'd be best served (IMO) at that price range by getting an external USB sound card and going from there.  You could always get a budget/entry level headphone pre-amp but for that to really be worthwhile you'll need a decent set of headphones to get any appreciable results.

yeah i said to give him an external sound card 

My current code projects

Current repair projects

14 minutes ago, ntlx said:

Hate to be a buzzkill here but you're just not going to get anything in that price range that's worth your money, you'll only wind up (at best) getting something that's going to disappoint you and make you wish you'd spent a bit more 

I've got no idea why "InMiseryWeSeekPancakes" is rambling on like a drunk person and posting weird (and flat-out incorrect) responses that seem more suited for a back-and-forth conversation via instant messaging or e-Mail than a forum...clueless here, really.  

OP, what's wrong with the headphones jack on your laptop? I would get that looked at if you have the means to do so, it's among the more rare components that I see fail on a laptop, regardless of the brand.  Assuming you haven't potentially mangled it by accident through either repetitive use and/or physical wear on the port.  Have you checked to make sure that it's not a system settings issue?  I assume you have, just asking as a force of habit.   I guess more importantly, my question to you would be - are you simply looking for a method to get decent sounding audio for the time being, until you presumably upgrade or fix your machine?  Because if that's the case, you'd be best served (IMO) at that price range by getting an external USB sound card and going from there.  You could always get a budget/entry level headphone pre-amp but for that to really be worthwhile you'll need a decent set of headphones to get any appreciable results.

I've checked everything, I've taken it to be checked, and nothing. Device drivers, system settings, BIOS/UEFI settings, nothing. I know it's not the headphones cause they work with my phone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-Q1-Portable-USB-DAC-Amplifier-Headphone-Amp/122991758022?epid=2256113948&hash=item1ca2e14ac6%3Ag%3AC~sAAOSwfNxalbcy&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=usb+dac&_sacat=0&_udhi=60&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xusb+dac.TRS1&LH_TitleDesc=0

How would something like this work?

I know what I'm talking about and no it isn't incorrect because i have a sound system of my own that runs in this sort of fashion 

My current code projects

Current repair projects

17 minutes ago, ntlx said:

ecause if that's the case, you'd be best served (IMO) at that price range by getting an external USB sound card and going from there

I literally said that... he couldn't afford not even a decent sound system so I offered something cheap that would get the job done.

My current code projects

Current repair projects

Listen if you want better quality sound get the sound system i provided if you just want sound then get the sound card or the dac, i don't know why you need it it'll be just like hearing through a headphone jack unless you pair it with a amp

My current code projects

Current repair projects

@ntlx basically all the things you said you said at the end of your reply was what i said. I offered him better headphones you even said the current ones he has right now his bad. And your going to sit here and tell me I'm wrong? You make absolutely nonsense my priority as of right now is not to ramble like a drunk person and saying that I'm doing so is ridiculous. My priority is helping this man being able to have sound using a dac/amp combo or  just to have sound coming from his headphones in general from his computer. Theres no reason to be rude either. I told him his budget was too low but i respected it so i tried to work around it you on the other hand just need to point it out rudely.

My current code projects

Current repair projects

27 minutes ago, ntlx said:

and flat-out incorrect

flat out incorrect? This is my sound system the setup i presented this young man with was in the sort of fashion in the picture your seeing now the only difference is there is better hardware. This system works like a charm. I've been in this industry for 15 years yet your going to sit here and tell me i'm wrong? The problem op is having is nothing but minor which can easily be fixed. 

Photo on 7-14-18 at 7.00 PM.jpg

My current code projects

Current repair projects

8 hours ago, BluJay614 said:

Can we please cut to the chase? I understand that you are very ecstatic about this, and I love good audio. I'm also not looking to replace my headset right now, but I do plan on that coming sometime down the road. I was already planning to be plugging it into my laptop via USB, and I understand what a digital output would be. I'm not intending to be rude, just not wanting to be lead through a wild goose chase.

FX - Audio DAC X6  hands down the best option at that price point.