Pc woult start unless GPU is removed.

SouleaterfB

Hello, so I woke up this morning to my pc being off. Tried to turn it back on and nothing. All I got was a little flicker to the fan lights and that was it.

I asked for help from a friend and he said try re seating my ram so I did so. For some reason I decided to take my GPU out as well. After I re seated all of my ram I tried to turn my pc on and it worked. Turn my pc off and plug my GPU back in and it doesn't turn on again.

In order to get my pc to be able turn on again I tried re seating one stick at a time then trying to turn it back on. The second stick let me turn it on again, but only without my GPU plugged in.

I have tried the GPU on another pc and the pc didn't start and I used another GPU on my pc and it started up. This is my 4th GPU for my pc what could be making my gpu's go bad?

Specs:

Asus Rampage IV Black Edition (Don't know the exact BIOS version but I know it is the latest one.)

Not sure what CPU I have. I think it's a i7 4770k

16gb DDR3 2666mhz ram in slots 1 3 5 7

Cooler Master V850 PSU

Corsair H100i.

Geforce gtx 1070 atx 3.0 SC

If you need anything else let me know. Not very savvy with this yet.

Edited by SouleaterfB

You can be certain that card is toast, yes. By testing it in another PC and another card in your PC that basically is confirmed. 

I'd usually say the PSU is the problem, but the V series is quite good in terms of build quality. Even it could be faulty, though. Another possibility is plain bad luck. I haven't had a single GPU failure in many years.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'd usually say the PSU is the problem, but the V series is quite good in terms of build quality. Even it could be faulty, though. Another possibility is plain bad luck. I haven't had a single GPU failure in many years.

Same problem happened to me and that was psu related but with old high power consuming grafics (gtx 570ti). It can be a little of both, gpu sucking tons of power that cant draw and that harming mobo gpu & psu .

With my 570ti same problems happened, switched my psu and worked well till it fried my psu in 1 day (less than 24h), bought a 850w 80+ silver and switched the gpu for a rx480 8gb and now working everyday(sold to a friend).

With that psu everyone would point the finger to other component but psu failures are not allways because bad quality.... just your power on your house , its ok? (I usually heard speakers poping when i turn some lights, that could indicate some leak) 

Tell your gpu name , maybe you have a old ti that sucks so much power that your computer is screaming for mercy. 

Anyone can say , well 850w for that setup you shouldnt have problems with any gpu.... Tell that to my 1 day 700w silver (from cheap brand yes) that survived 1 day on that pc.

The lifesaver for me was swapping psu for a greater one ( you only need to swap for another like that ) and taking a power surge protector like this (exactly this was mine) https://www.amazon.es/Belkin-BSV603vf2M-Regleta-protección-sobretensiones/dp/B00LHUPKYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529417328&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+surge

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Check if you are grounded on your house (mine is not , only grounded freezer washing machine and oven i think)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Will do some more investigating later today. Will update when available.