Help finding comfortable closed backs!

JR_12

Hi Everyone,

I need some help with an admittatedly subjective search.

I'm looking for a hi audio quality set of closed back headphones that are comfortable for wearing 6+ hours, under $300 USD. Here's some info and questions for reference.

I've been using a pair of bose QC 25s for a few years. These have SUPER comfortbale pads and are very lightweight. I LOVE the comfort of these cups.. but here's the issue I've been having. The inner diameter of the pads is too small for my ear and it squeezes the top lobe of my ear. Adding to that, I wear glasses and the pads push a little against the arms/my head over time. So my ear gets really sore after a few hours. Also, when these are not using the active noise canceling, the sound is kinda quiet and not that crisp.

I don't need noise canceling, I'm more interested is something I can wear for long periods of time, with very little fatigue.

I also recently bought a pair of ATH m50x's since they are so well reviewed and suggested, but oh wow these were NOT comfortbale to me! The pads are much less comfortable than the bose and these things feel like they weigh a ton comparatively. However, the cup size was great and fit comfortabally around my ear with clearance for my glasses too!

Essentially, I'd love something as light/comfortable as the qc25 with the cup size of the m50x. Noise canceling isn't nessecary, nor is bluetooth, but they are nice to haves.

I also tried the Sony WH-1000X-M2 and these also felt stiff comparative to the Bose pads. They were also way to shallow for my ear. Not comfortable. 

Can anyone suggest a pair of headphones like I'm describing for less than $300 USD ... Or do you know of ATH replacement pads that would be a similar feel to the qc25 pads??

thank you all in advance for any help!! This has been a much more difficult/time consuming search that I initially thought.

Welcome to the LTT forums! Have you considered just replacing the ear pads? I hear that these are a great alternative to the stock pads. Here is a differently shaped alternative. Do note I have only heard that these are great, my audio budget is rather limited, so I have not had the opportunity to us them myself.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Maybe try the B&O H6 if you are looking for portable. I’m in the process of reviewing the 1More Triple Driver Over Ear which is a $250 portable closed back. They are interesting and not the most technically impressive headphone for the money, but they are fun.

Thanks for the replies! I just heard about the brainwavz and will prob try those since they're not that expensive..  failing that, seems like I have a couple follow up options and will take a look at those too. I'll reply once I settle it all out.

5 hours ago, JR_12 said:

This has been a much more difficult/time consuming search that I initially thought.

Take that as good sign.

If it takes only little time/goes easily then you're likely missing things.:P

There really aren't many that light full size headphones if ATH-M50 feels too heavy.

Though I guess how headband distributes weight along with cushions of it and ear pads would affect to feel.

Beyerdynamic has some really soft velour ear pads so check also DT770.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Thanks again for all the feedback! Here's an update:

1. I added the bainwavz to the M50s and they make a HUGE difference! They are WAY more comfortable than stock and I'm wearing them comfortably most of the time.  However, they still feel a bit heavier than I'd like overall and the top band still causes my head to get sore after a few hours. They are still great over all and I HIGHLY suggest getting the brainwvz pads if you buy these.  Here's the link to the ones I bought, but it's not Linus' affiliate link. You can use theirs if you want to help them out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFDT894/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. I recently got a couple gifts and ended up buying the Bose QC 35s (series 1) which actually have a larger cup depth than the 25s and they fit great! I'm not running a DAC/AMP or anything like that so I'm only speaking from the perspective of using phone/work laptop. 

Overall, I think the m50s are great for the price but you MUST get the replacement pads to make them comfortable for long sessions and if you still need something more comfortable/lighter - the QC35s are fantastic and great for traveling!

I'm very happy with both sets and are keeping them. Hope this helps anyone else looking for something similar!

Sennheiser HD569, or such ilk. I use the open-back; but Senheisser produces a whole bunch of closed-back models. in many price ranges.

I'm rough on my closed-back headphones. My head's too big. I sweat like a zenomorph. And I wear out foldable-pivot-points on headphones.  I'm happy with my Sony MDR7510. The MDR7506 is the modest, fold-able option.

Welcome to the forum, @JR_12 :ph34r: