Is the MSI Optix MAG27CQ a good/decent monitor?

LoganTNZ

Yeah. Ive been seriously considering getting a 1440p 144hz monitor, and i found this one. Its also curved, as bonus ;)

The problem is, its a VA monitor. And im not an expert in monitors, so i just want to double check haha. Also, is there a large difference between a VA and a IPS monitor? Im going to be alone, but i dont know if there'll be any ghosting or the curves would be discoloured from my perspective

This article explains the differences between a bunch of different panel types. Though keep in mind, those comparisons are generalized and you shouldn't use them as a final say when comparing two monitors as each panel (or even monitor) have their own individual traits.

It's a pretty mixed monitor. Its got some nice contrast with deep blacks thanks to its VA panel and handles motion well. Out of the box, colors are all over the place but once calibrated, colors are pleasant so at least I'd plop in an icc profile if you don't have a calibrator. And once you do that, its near 100% sRGB color gamut compliments it well to get a nice looking image. However, it falls hard when it comes to its black uniformity which is dissapointing and even worse if you use it in a near-dark room and displaying dark content. Viewing angles are on the lower end of meh too so don't expect to use it off center. Here's the review that I took all of that information from and I recommend you take a look at it yourself.

6 hours ago, Sombra said:

This article explains the differences between a bunch of different panel types. Though keep in mind, those comparisons are generalized and you shouldn't use them as a final say when comparing two monitors as each panel (or even monitor) have their own individual traits.

It's a pretty mixed monitor. Its got some nice contrast with deep blacks thanks to its VA panel and handles motion well. Out of the box, colors are all over the place but once calibrated, colors are pleasant so at least I'd plop in an icc profile if you don't have a calibrator. And once you do that, its near 100% sRGB color gamut compliments it well to get a nice looking image. However, it falls hard when it comes to its black uniformity which is dissapointing and even worse if you use it in a near-dark room and displaying dark content. Viewing angles are on the lower end of meh too so don't expect to use it off center. Here's the review that I took all of that information from and I recommend you take a look at it yourself.

Would you recommend me to change the monitor?

56 minutes ago, LoganTNZ said:

Would you recommend me to change the monitor?

maybe, what's your budget?

53 minutes ago, Sombra said:

Don't wanna hijack the thread but would you suggest the AOC g2470pf? The only thing stopping me is the fact it's tn and I don't want to spend a bunch returning it if it ends up not being great. 

15 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

Don't wanna hijack the thread but would you suggest the AOC g2470pf? The only thing stopping me is the fact it's tn and I don't want to spend a bunch returning it if it ends up not being great. 

It's all about expectations. I'm not sure how much you are getting it for (assuming ~$200usd) but don't expect the color reproduction of a $300 IPS. You're getting a TN monitor that specializes in its high refresh rate gaming and if you buy it with that in mind, I think you'll be satisfied with it.

That being said, out of the box it looks pretty poor but if you spend some time changing settings and applying an icc profile (I can show you where to get it) it can look ok. And a big talking point for this monitor is FreeSync so if you have an AMD card that supports it, you should like it for gaming especially with its low input lag. I recommend you check out this fantastic review from PCMonitors.Info on the G2460PF so that you will know exactly what you're getting if you choose to get it.

6 minutes ago, Sombra said:

It's all about expectations. I'm not sure how much you are getting it for (assuming ~$200usd) but don't expect the color reproduction of a $300 IPS. You're getting a TN monitor that specializes in its high refresh rate gaming and if you buy it with that in mind, I think you'll be satisfied with it.

That being said, out of the box it looks pretty poor but if you spend some time changing settings and applying an icc profile (I can show you where to get it) it can look ok. And a big talking point for this monitor is FreeSync so if you have an AMD card that supports it, you should like it for gaming especially with its low input lag. I recommend you check out this fantastic review from PCMonitors.Info on the G2460PF so that you will know exactly what you're getting if you choose to get it.

Alright thanks, currently have the Dell S2340L and I can't imagine it's worse then that. Thanks again. 

6 hours ago, Sombra said:

Im willing to spend $600 AUD on a monitor

The AOC AG322QCX is at the maximum of your budget without tax and shipping and may be too large for you, but it offers respectable colour performance along with the benefits of 144hz. You can learn more about it in this review. If you wanted to go full on competitive gaming, the Asus PG248Q has great motion handling and almost practically non-existent input lag. Besides gaming, it won't look that great though. You can learn more about it in this review. While I'm at it, I might as well throw out the 1440p60hz IPS suggestion. The Dell U2715H has much better color reproduction and accuracy than the other two and handles motion fairly well with low input lag though of course it's only 60hz. You can learn more about it in this review.

There may be more good options out there but these three are the ones that come to mind. If were thinking of going in a different direction than these then I may be able to find something else too.

15 hours ago, Sombra said:

Btw thats the g27c. Im talking about the MAg27cq

Its an old model i believe

Why cant they just make monitor names simple.

1 hour ago, Sombra said:

The AOC AG322QCX is at the maximum of your budget without tax and shipping and may be too large for you, but it offers respectable colour performance along with the benefits of 144hz. You can learn more about it in this review. If you wanted to go full on competitive gaming, the Asus PG248Q has great motion handling and almost practically non-existent input lag. Besides gaming, it won't look that great though. You can learn more about it in this review. While I'm at it, I might as well throw out the 1440p60hz IPS suggestion. The Dell U2715H has much better color reproduction and accuracy than the other two and handles motion fairly well with low input lag though of course it's only 60hz. You can learn more about it in this review.

There may be more good options out there but these three are the ones that come to mind. If were thinking of going in a different direction than these then I may be able to find something else too.

I mean, does 1440p get blurry at 32"? Like how 1080p gets blurry after 26"?

11 minutes ago, LoganTNZ said:

Btw thats the g27c. Im talking about the MAg27cq

Its an old model i believe

Why cant they just make monitor names simple.

I mean, does 1440p get blurry at 32"? Like how 1080p gets blurry after 26"?

Looking at the review it has this in it looks like it touches on that at the end. The pixel density of the 32" is the same as a 24" 1080P screen. I, personally don't like that pixel density, and prefer a slightly higher density, but it is acceptable for sure. I feel like we could use some more information to help you make an informed decision though. While that 32" 1440P panel may fit the recommenders needs, it may not fit yours. Do you game? What games do you play? What size is your monitor now? Do you have the desk space for that 32"? Would you be sitting to close to the 32"? Try sitting closer to your TV, because 32" on a desk is really big. 

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

2 hours ago, Shiftstealth said:

Looking at the review it has this in it looks like it touches on that at the end. The pixel density of the 32" is the same as a 24" 1080P screen. I, personally don't like that pixel density, and prefer a slightly higher density, but it is acceptable for sure. I feel like we could use some more information to help you make an informed decision though. While that 32" 1440P panel may fit the recommenders needs, it may not fit yours. Do you game? What games do you play? What size is your monitor now? Do you have the desk space for that 32"? Would you be sitting to close to the 32"? Try sitting closer to your TV, because 32" on a desk is really big. 

Hey

Yeah, i do game a lot. Multiple hoyrs a day actually haha. And i usually play fps games and third person RPG's and strategies. Im not really a competitive csgo player or something like that, im just looking to have fun and pretend life doesnt exist lmao