Too long of RGB Strip... Possibly burning out headers?

Busconian
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
13 minutes ago, Busconian said:

Hi! I was wondering if I could run 8 ft of RGB LEDs off of my Motherboard header so I could control my desk LEDs off of Aura sync. I have tested it, it does work. But will they eventually burn out the header on my board? The LEDs are 2 inches apart from each other. Thank you!

Anyone try anything like this before?

No you will overload the header, you need to check the amperage of your header usually it's 2amps and the wattage per foot of your LED strip. 

There are controllers that provide external power to increase the number of strips that you can add to your RGB ecosystem. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

Hi! I was wondering if I could run 8 ft of RGB LEDs off of my Motherboard header so I could control my desk LEDs off of Aura sync. I have tested it, it does work. But will they eventually burn out the header on my board? The LEDs are 2 inches apart from each other. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Busconian said:

No you will overload the header, you need to check the amperage of your header usually it's 2amps and the wattage per foot of your LED strip. 

There are controllers that provide external power to increase the number of strips that you can add to your RGB ecosystem. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Okay thank you. I have done some research and it turns out if I ran all the LEDs off of one header it would use 32w...

Oh well! Thank you.