Exhaust Fan Question

UnaverageVague
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
7 hours ago, xovague said:

Shitty so it’s just going off of the CPU sensor?

Most likely yes. And that's only good sensor to be used. Mobos sensors aren't accurate enough for that purpose.

What sensor tells the exhaust fans to go high or low? Cause I know the CPU fans obviously go based off of the CPU temp but what about the exhaust fans?

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

Mobo has temperature sensors in places. It might be using CPU temps, but most likely there's other sensors on the mobo.

And based on fan curves set in the BIOS, the fans spin up and down.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Bear in mind that the fan is controlled by whatever is connected to the fan header. So that could mean that an exhaust fan is attached to a secondary CPU fan header, and the 2 fans connected would increase or decrease by the same amount, whether that's outright RPM change or a percentage change. 

The fans would be controlled by sensors placed on the motherboard or CPU, depending on the function of the fan header, and some only deliver power to the fan and make it run at the highest speed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Bear in mind that the fan is controlled by whatever is connected to the fan header. So that could mean that an exhaust fan is attached to a secondary CPU fan header, and the 2 fans connected would increase or decrease by the same amount, whether that's outright RPM change or a percentage change. 

The fans would be controlled by sensors placed on the motherboard or CPU, depending on the function of the fan header, and some only deliver power to the fan and make it run at the highest speed.

I have one plugged into the chassis 1 and 1 plugged into HAMP

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

By default all mobo headers follow CPU temps. Thats the only temp sensor mobo can use besides its own (which are garbage). You can do GPU temp with suitable software (AI Suite can do it, CAM and Link need hardware base) or if you are using external controller with probes. But by default they follow CPU. If they follow something.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

By default all mobo headers follow CPU temps. Thats the only temp sensor mobo can use besides its own (which are garbage). You can do GPU temp with suitable software (AI Suite can do it, CAM and Link need hardware base) or if you are using external controller with probes. But by default they follow CPU. If they follow something.

What software allows me to do it off of GPU? I have Corsair ML120’s

1 hour ago, xovague said:

What software allows me to do it off of GPU? I have Corsair ML120’s

Mobos own. Speedfan too, but newer mobos are hit and miss with compatibility. Also depends on mobo. Like I said, Asus has it for sure. I haven't seen people talking about it being available on others.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Mobos own. Speedfan too, but newer mobos are hit and miss with compatibility. Also depends on mobo. Like I said, Asus has it for sure. I haven't seen people talking about it being available on others.

I have the ASUS Z270F Strix but I see nothing that allows me to set it to a GPU sensor

1 hour ago, xovague said:

I have the ASUS Z270F Strix but I see nothing that allows me to set it to a GPU sensor

Then that isn't available for you.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

53 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Then that isn't available for you.

7 hours ago, xovague said:

Most likely yes. And that's only good sensor to be used. Mobos sensors aren't accurate enough for that purpose.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Fair enough thanks fam