What keyboard should I get?

Fissshie

Hi.

I've used budget keyboards all my life and finally decided I want to spend my time on a good mid-ranged keyboard for gaming and other needs. Specifically, I would love one that offers mechanical and RGB use with my budget of £65. 

I have seen the K66 from Corsair and thought it was definitely worth the money, although I am no keyboard expert and would appreciate advice. https://www.cclonline.com/product/241554/CH-9103000-UK/Keyboards/Corsair-K66-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-with-Cherry-MX-Red-Switches/KBD1574/?utm_source=footer&utm_medium=recently-browsed&utm_campaign=KBD1574

I have seen it retail for £50 cheapest from CCLComputers and would love your opinions or suggestions of what may be the best keyboard for the price.

Thanks!

The big thing to consider when making a jump to mechanical keyboards is that switches are subjective.  I personally love blue switches and I find pretty much anything else to be annoying to use (I actually turned down the K66 because I couldn't get it in blue, and went with the older Strafe).  If you can, I'd suggest researching what switches feel like, and even better, seeing if you can test out typing on the switches you're looking at getting before you buy.  It'll make everything a lot better.

Current stuff:

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming

Intel Core i5 7300HQ @ 2.50ghz

GeForce GTX 1050

32gb Crucial DDR4 2133

500gb Samsung 850 EVO

5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM Laptop drive

Desktop:

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.20ghz

2x GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition

4x8gb GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 2133

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1

480gb Kingston HyperX Predator

2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Corsair Strafe RGB w/MX Blue switches

Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

Lots of completely necessary "Go Faster" lights

Server:

Dell PowerEdge T30

4x Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM Drives

1x4gb Hynix DDR4 2133 RAM

CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire Rapid w/MX Blue switches&Custom NVIDIA/QuakeCon keycaps

Just now, trekkie1701c said:

The big thing to consider when making a jump to mechanical keyboards is that switches are subjective.  I personally love blue switches and I find pretty much anything else to be annoying to use (I actually turned down the K66 because I couldn't get it in blue, and went with the older Strafe).  If you can, I'd suggest researching what switches feel like, and even better, seeing if you can test out typing on the switches you're looking at getting before you buy.  It'll make everything a lot better.

Unfortunately there's nowhere around to try/demo them. Thanks for giving your opinion on the matter though.

5 hours ago, Fissshie said:

Unfortunately there's nowhere around to try/demo them. Thanks for giving your opinion on the matter though.

I might skip on RGB with that low of a budget if you want a good quality mechanical keyboard. You'd want a budget of at least  £80-100 if you were looking into an RGB keyboard, and that would really only be if you could find a good deal on one. I'd say the K66 is a great pick, as it's just the K70 without RGB. As for switches, if the keyboard will be used for gaming only, get red switches. If you'll be typing papers, get blues or browns (blues if you want a click and a bump, browns if you just want the bump). This guide obviously isn't guaranteed to satisfy you, but it's a good rule of thumb. I absolutely despised typing on red switches, and so does my friend. I went with browns because I don't want to destroy my friends' ears in voice calls, but the choice is entirely yours.

8 hours ago, NWhite4720 said:

I might skip on RGB with that low of a budget if you want a good quality mechanical keyboard. You'd want a budget of at least  £80-100 if you were looking into an RGB keyboard, and that would really only be if you could find a good deal on one. I'd say the K66 is a great pick, as it's just the K70 without RGB. As for switches, if the keyboard will be used for gaming only, get red switches. If you'll be typing papers, get blues or browns (blues if you want a click and a bump, browns if you just want the bump). This guide obviously isn't guaranteed to satisfy you, but it's a good rule of thumb. I absolutely despised typing on red switches, and so does my friend. I went with browns because I don't want to destroy my friends' ears in voice calls, but the choice is entirely yours.

Makes sense with everything. To tell you the truth I ordered the K66 as RGB isn't exactly needed. It's more cosmetic as always and it just would be nice t--o have it in the end. I didn't know it did not have RGB to be fair, but thought it was a good keyboard for the price so I just snatched it. Haha. I'm going to be mostly gaming and editing, so it's a good pick for the cherry MX switches (red). 

Thanks for letting me know. I honestly just liked a mechanical keyboard. Something of higher quality. Right now I'm just using a Sumvision Wave so hopefully you can understand it is not the best type of keyboard. Hence the switch!

Thanks for the help bro.