Which Noctua Fans

MSussens

Hello All

I want to get two 120mm exhaust fans and two 140mm intake fans. Really liking the Noctua brand and was wondering if there are any specific ones that are recommended or ones to avoid. The intake fans will be over a 280mm aio radiator, which I want to replace the NZXT stock fans. If there are any other brands you recommend please share.

Please feel free to share and discuss 

This is what I had in mind:

140mm intake:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFCR0PQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=ITIK7J4VCO52Y&colid=2XTJTQFJ21K0V&psc=0

120mm exhaust:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07657VBQQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1HXQY41834BO3&colid=2XTJTQFJ21K0V&psc=0

Thanks All

From Noctua's lineup, okay, sure. Especially if you want black fans specifically. If you just want to avoid beige or don't care, and if you don't need all the way up to 2000 rpm on a 14 cm fan (that would be loud), the NH-P14s redux-1500 PWM is considerably cheaper and just a little worse in performance while having better acoustic quality.

Do you need PWM control?

If you're actually planning on running higher RPM and care about the sound, you might want to look at the Corsair ML140 as well. There are a lot of alternatives and brands other than Noctua making competitive fans but it's not like using the Noctuas is a bad idea that you need to be saved from, so you can run with those.

Industrial 2k fans. Like the black look and cant actually turn them down a bit unlike the 3k versions.

nf-f12 industrial

nf-a14 industrial

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 12/3/2017 at 9:14 PM, Mick Naughty said:

Industrial 2k fans. Like the black look and cant actually turn them down a bit unlike the 3k versions.

Both 2000 and 3000rpm variants can have the rpm turned down. If you're having issues, it's probably due to how you're powering them. 

@MSussens What case are you using?

If you don't need the extra robust build or the higher rpm, normal noctuas will be quieter and better suited than the iPPC line. 

If you're aiming for the black look, get the Chromax version of the NF-A14. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Both 2000 and 3000rpm variants can have the rpm turned down. If you're having issues, it's probably due to how you're powering them.

I know they can be turned down, isn't the point. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I run 2 140mm 3000RPMs as filtered intakes and 2 120mm 3000RPM as exhaust and they run fairly quiet at idle on a Corsair Commander fan controller... however, I used to run them at 100% so my tolerance for noise might be higher than yours.

The OP is running the 140s on the radiator, so fans designed for static pressure would be ideal. Noctua makes the nf-p14s-redux-1500-pwm, http://noctua.at/en/products/product-line-redux/nf-p14s-redux-1500-pwm or https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Cooling-NF-P14s-redux-1500-PWM/dp/B00KF7O58G/ref=pd_sbs_504_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00KF7O58G&pd_rd_r=3YMRDGQAWW5ZD1TQD3GP&pd_rd_w=Dm1dp&pd_rd_wg=PdH3o&psc=1&refRID=3YMRDGQAWW5ZD1TQD3GP

I can't recommend this fan, having never run it myself, but read Noctua's website for the details.

I would also suggest a push/pull configuration for your radiator if you have the room. My own testing produced better results in that configuration and there are many results that say the same.

@Mick Naughty

Thank you for your service, Mick.

Thanks all for the replys. @WoodenMarker I am planning on getting the NZXT S340 elite. I live in South Africa but in the US for a few months and getting the parts here. 

@loculus I was thinking of using high RPM PWM fans as it can get very hot where I live. In summer over 100F, abiously it will be cooler indoors but just want to try run a cooler system. 

I have not purchased the case, aio or fans yet so just looking for research in what could would best with the budget. 

Thanks all 

Phanteks is reliable gear as well.  If you're not hung up on Noctua and you can get Phanteks cheaper than Noctua where you are, take a look at them.

Turns out I actually have 6 of those in 120. Don't like the look so I don't use them but ran them on one of my 360's. Cant see them where they are at, work well and are quite.

On 12/10/2017 at 7:14 PM, MSussens said:

Thanks all for the replys. @WoodenMarker I am planning on getting the NZXT S340 elite. I live in South Africa but in the US for a few months and getting the parts here. 

@loculus I was thinking of using high RPM PWM fans as it can get very hot where I live. In summer over 100F, abiously it will be cooler indoors but just want to try run a cooler system. 

I have not purchased the case, aio or fans yet so just looking for research in what could would best with the budget. 

Can you link us to where you're shopping?

NF-A14's or NF-P14S are great options but there might be other options that are almost as good but are a better value.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you link us to where you're shopping?

NF-A14's or NF-P14S are great options but there might be other options that are almost as good but are a better value.

@WoodenMarker In the US all I know with shopping is Amazon and Newegg. Mostly I get off Amazon at times it can be slightly cheaper.

In South Africa I will use wootware.co.za and evetech.co.za 

We use Rand there and is now R13.5 to $1, technology tends to be more expensive there. Thanks all for the help 

On 12/12/2017 at 9:09 AM, MSussens said:

@WoodenMarker In the US all I know with shopping is Amazon and Newegg. Mostly I get off Amazon at times it can be slightly cheaper.

In South Africa I will use wootware.co.za and evetech.co.za 

We use Rand there and is now R13.5 to $1, technology tends to be more expensive there. Thanks all for the help 

What do you think about the silent wings fans compared to noctua? @WoodenMarker @loculus @Mick Naughty

be quiet! BL069 SILENTWINGS 3 140mm HIGH SPEED 1600RPM 77.57CFM 28.1DBA Cooling Fan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JME3UJW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JLTmAbZR1F6HN

Silent Wings 3 is pretty good, though not as good acoustically as you might expect given the company.

If you can get this actual price, the Corsair ML140 is a bit better, and there's a listing for a reasonable price on a twin pack at wootware:

https://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-co-9050044-ww-ml140-140mm-pwm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan-twin-pack.html

Would only run vardar if noctua wasn't around. 

Thanks  @loculus for finding that.

The fans I will buy while I am here in the US where as the case and AIO I will get back in South Africa due to the size of the package. The choices are limited in SA with aio as it seems like the only real choice is corsair and cooler master but I favor the NZXT which can be touch to find due to availability. Appreciate the help and input