Need help building a great pc.

Hi, so i want to build an awesome gaming pc, but i literally have no idea what goes with what, i want to make sure everything is compatible with everything. what i know i want is a 1080TI and at least a i7 7700k. beyond that i have no idea. my budget is $2,600 Canadian. Thank you to anyone who helps!

Don't go for 7 th gen Intel, go for 8th gen instead

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Don't go for 7 th gen Intel, go for 8th gen instead

I still need help with the build in its entirety, i literally don't know what parts are compatible with other stuff, like i said, my budget is $2600 Canadian, so maybe help build a pc around a 8th gen intel

yeah 8th gen is better. try the i7 8700k. it's an AMAZING pair with 1080ti

anyway there is this site called pcpartpicker. you choose the parts and it makes sure that they're compatible.

by the way, it starts you off in usa, just click in top right corner and change it to canada.

a few tips:

asus rog strix motherboards and 1080tis are amazing and look cool. 

a new 8th gen processor will need a -370 motherboard. if you choose something else, it'll say that you need a "bios update". don't bother.

an amazing case is the nzxt s340 elite white or black or black/red.

also rgb strips inside the case look cool, just saying

just fyi, if after the cpu name it says OEM-TRAY, it means it doesn't come in a box

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($489.50 @ Vuugo) 
CPU Cooler: Reeven - Justice 82.1 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($62.59 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($215.99 @ PC Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($199.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - BX300 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($91.74 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($75.95 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($927.50 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide 400C White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $2303.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-29 20:29 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($409.50 @ Vuugo) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($44.43 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($215.99 @ PC Canada) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($229.42 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.95 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($949.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $2219.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-29 23:10 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Dont go with the pc the guy above me made, he paired a z370 mobo (overclockable) with a non overclockable chip and also hes a bit underbudget. 

Edit: he also went with a 550W PSU which wont be enough for future upgrades and/or overclocking.

With that aside, what color scheme do you have in mind? And how much storage would you prefer? Is 1tb of harddrive and 1tb of ssd enough for you?

22 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Dont go with the pc the guy above me made, he paired a z370 mobo (overclockable) with a non overclockable chip and also hes a bit underbudget. 

Edit: he also went with a 550W PSU which wont be enough for future upgrades and/or overclocking.

With that aside, what color scheme do you have in mind? And how much storage would you prefer? Is 1tb of harddrive and 1tb of ssd enough for you?

in the first place there isn't any B and H chipsets currently available, so he has no choice in the matter. also, a 550w is enough for a single graphics card, overclocking or not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

in the first place there isn't any B and H chipsets currently available, so he has no choice in the matter. also, a 550w is enough for a single graphics card, overclocking or not.

If you have the budget why not go for a 8700k? Thats what i meant. Hes underbudget by 380 CAD. Also if you overclock a 1080ti it can easily pull 450 watts ALONE as tested by linus himself, then factoring in the other parts its just not enough. Also if he went with the 8700k it would pull 380 watts overclocked. Not to mention, nvidia themself recommends a 600W Psu of youre going with a 1080 ti.

And then upgradibility is also a factor when choosing a PSU.

1 hour ago, KyberKylo77 said:

I'll just mark the negative comments down to unfamiliarity with the hardware.

37 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

If you have the budget why not go for a 8700k? Thats what i meant. Hes underbudget by 380 CAD. Also if you overclock a 1080ti it can easily pull 450 watts ALONE as tested by linus himself, then factoring in the other parts its just not enough. Also if he went with the 8700k it would pull 380 watts overclocked. Not to mention, nvidia themself recommends a 600W Psu of youre going with a 1080 ti.

And then upgradibility is also a factor when choosing a PSU.

How about the fact that an o/s, keyboard, mouse, headphones/speakers, and monitor still have to be bought? Canada is not known for low sales taxes.

Overclocking is a hobby. There is no need to overclock to have a well performing system.

In order to get a GTX 1080 Ti to pull over 290W one has to push the oc to the max and then very heavily load the card. To the point that the card's lifespan is going to be negatively affected. Normal gameplay in the average system is not going to do this.

GPU recommendations for psu have always been on the high side as the manufacturers have to take into account a very wide range of psu quality. Top quality units like Seasonic Focus deliver exactly what they are supposed to safely.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

31 minutes ago, brob said:

I'll just mark the negative comments down to unfamiliarity with the hardware.

How about the fact that an o/s, keyboard, mouse, headphones/speakers, and monitor still have to be bought? Canada is not known for low sales taxes.

Overclocking is a hobby. There is no need to overclock to have a well performing system.

In order to get a GTX 1080 Ti to pull over 290W one has to push the oc to the max and then very heavily load the card. To the point that the card's lifespan is going to be negatively affected. Normal gameplay in the average system is not going to do this.

GPU recommendations for psu have always been on the high side as the manufacturers have to take into account a very wide range of psu quality. Top quality units like Seasonic Focus deliver exactly what they are supposed to safely.

Still, better go safe than be sorry. Also we havent discussed about upgradability yet. And when someone says 2600$ for the PC alone, they mean it and theyve probably already set aside money for peripherals and displays. Also where the hell did you get the fact that overclocking that much shortens lifespan? Thats an average overclock that everyone with a 1080 ti has (2.05GHz roughly at 428W) and will squeeze you an extra 10fps on average.

On 11/29/2017 at 11:32 PM, KyberKylo77 said:

Hey, i def want the 8700k and a 1080 ti, i was thinking maybe a red and black color scheme, the $2600-$2700 budget is specifically for the pc alone, everything else i have other money set aside for. as for the storage space, i'm not exactly sure, i def want a samsung ssd though, even it its only 250gb. maybe a 1 TB hdd should be enough, as long as its a fast hdd.

5 hours ago, Steveo1180 said:

Hey, i def want the 8700k and a 1080 ti, i was thinking maybe a red and black color scheme, the $2600-$2700 budget is specifically for the pc alone, everything else i have other money set aside for. as for the storage space, i'm not exactly sure, i def want a samsung ssd though, even it its only 250gb. maybe a 1 TB hdd should be enough, as long as its a fast hdd.

Ok cool i will get back to you soon

1 hour ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Ok cool i will get back to you soon

Sounds good, thank you for your help!

40 minutes ago, Steveo1180 said:

Sounds good, thank you for your help!

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/93QbFd

You can change the 250GB ssd to a 500GB one but thats 100 dollars more expensive so the end price will turn out around 2700CAD if you decide to go that route.

Also you dont need to buy thermal paste separately since it comes included :D

Glad to help : )

11 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/93QbFd

You can change the 250GB ssd to a 500GB one but thats 100 dollars more expensive so the end price will turn out around 2700CAD if you decide to go that route.

Also you dont need to buy thermal paste separately since it comes included :D

Glad to help : )

what is the difference between the motherboard i picked in my list compared to the one you picked, just wondering if spending the extra $50 is worth it, because i do have to take taxes into account, because the build you suggested is sitting at the $3000 mark with taxes included. i'm sorry for not mentioning taxes before.

10 minutes ago, Steveo1180 said:

what is the difference between the motherboard i picked in my list compared to the one you picked, just wondering if spending the extra $50 is worth it, because i do have to take taxes into account, because the build you suggested is sitting at the $3000 mark with taxes included. i'm sorry for not mentioning taxes before.

Yikes, sorry but mobos really dont matter that much unless you want to overclock then you'd want a good one but even then i think its completely fine if you want to go with the msi motherboard. Other than that to reduce the price down to 2700 after taxes you would either have to scrap the ssd or downgrade the cooler which wont be good if you plan to overclock.

4 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Yikes, sorry but mobos really dont matter that much unless you want to overclock then you'd want a good one but even then i think its completely fine if you want to go with the msi motherboard. Other than that to reduce the price down to 2700 after taxes you would either have to scrap the ssd or downgrade the cooler which wont be good if you plan to overclock.

I dont plan on over clocking, at least not any time soon.

9 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Does all that stuff come with the proper cords i need and also fans and anything else i might need?

On 09/12/2017 at 2:25 AM, Steveo1180 said:

Does all that stuff come with the proper cords i need and also fans and anything else i might need?

Yep, generally the more you pay, the more features you get along the way but that MSI board should be just fine.

On 08/12/2017 at 5:19 PM, Steveo1180 said:

I dont plan on over clocking, at least not any time soon.

Ok then a cheaper cooler would be fine