Elex

strat guy

Anyone here tried it out ? Watched a few reviews but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Discovered "Eurojank" was a word lmao but I liked 'The Technomancer' after a few hours gaming and levelling up, and learning the controls well enough. Really liked the karma/rapport system about how you're doing with various npcs/factions but never got down to finishing it but I'll probably get back to it at some stage and see what happens.

10 minutes ago, strat guy said:

Anyone here tried it out ? Watched a few reviews but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Discovered "Eurojank" was a word lmao but I liked 'The Technomancer' after a few hours gaming and levelling up, and learning the controls well enough. Really liked the karma/rapport system about how you're doing with various npcs/factions but never got down to finishing it but I'll probably get back to it at some stage and see what happens.

I literally just watched a video about it, well briefly watched it - how is it? Seems odd that I seen medieval stuff, dinosaurs and then a robot .. 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

15 minutes ago, strat guy said:

its downloading, hopefully its good, but i kinda enjoy those kinds of games, the witcher3 is my bae, also you could buy middle earth shadow of war, that one is simply amazing.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
    A-Data 2666mhz upgraded to Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 240gb M.2 Intel NVMe SSD
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
    Samsung Full HD 24' Free sync
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I literally just watched a video about it, well briefly watched it - how is it? Seems odd that I seen medieval stuff, dinosaurs and then a robot .. 

I watched a video by 'ACG', that's about all I know of it. Post apocalyptic world with various factions, theres guys who absolutely shun tech (the melee class?) and then there's others who are tech lords, and then there's the zombies? who consume the very substance that destroyed their world. You actually play as a 'recovering' zombie thing who must now take a call on which way to go. Seems kind of interesting in that it is non linear are you can do what you want but there's also a bit of a steepish learning curve and the combat is.. janky at best lol

5 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

its downloading, hopefully its good, but i kinda enjoy those kinds of games, the witcher3 is my bae, also you could buy middle earth shadow of war, that one is simply amazing.

This will be closer to The Witcher 2 - AoK and stuff like The Technomancer (worth checking out) than to the highly polished big league AAA ones you mentioned. Still have to get around to the first Mordor game.

Let us know how it goes, force yourself through the first few hours as you level up and get used to the mechanics.

Why are there two elex threads? Anyways, I'm about 3-4 hrs into the game now and i really like it. If you ever played Gothic or Risen, it's exactly like that except with a jetpack. 

While the Gothic and Risen games were great it also has some of the same flaws. Combat in particular.

the prerelease images looked awesome, but after seeing gameplay, honestly the game looks like shit

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

9 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Why are there two elex threads? Anyways, I'm about 3-4 hrs into the game now and i really like it. If you ever played Gothic or Risen, it's exactly like that except with a jetpack. 

While the Gothic and Risen games were great it also has some of the same flaws. Combat in particular.

Oops, sorry about that. Should've looked before posting this thread. Still new here, maybe flag a mod who can merge the two ?

Very interested in how the combat feels compared to The Technomancer, which, after a bit of levelling up was actually pretty smooth, apart from when you're being attacked by hordes of emenies.

5 hours ago, strat guy said:

Oops, sorry about that. Should've looked before posting this thread. Still new here, maybe flag a mod who can merge the two ?

Very interested in how the combat feels compared to The Technomancer, which, after a bit of levelling up was actually pretty smooth, apart from when you're being attacked by hordes of emenies.

I never played Technomancer, but the combat is basically built around the stamina of your character. You have a quick, weak attack and a slower, stronger attack. You string these together into combos. This fills up your combo meter until you can do a special attack. You start out with very little stamina and can only hit like 3-4 times until you're out of stamina. Then you can't attack at all until you regenerate some stamina. It's pretty hard to get into, I still don't fully understand how it works. You can block as well but it doesn't really do much. You can dodge incoming attacks but that will also consume stamina.

I guess 'janky' is a good word to describe it. I hope PB release a patch that makes it a little more intuitive and easier to control.

The ranged weapons work fine as far as I can tell. Only have a bow so far.

Edit:

This video describes the combo mechanic better than I can.

Best Piranha Game since Gothic 2.

It feels a bit dated in case of combat, but the handcrafted world and its conctent is top. If you like a challenging RPG without any handholding and many consequences and you can handle that it is a bit rough around the edges, i see no Reason you wouldnt enjoy it.

It takes a while till it kicks in. The first hours are kind of stiff, but than the World consumes you.

An Explorer Paradise.

This Game is for People who want use their Brain to survive in a very deadly World. Nothing for casual Kiddis who want unchallenging pewpew Action right from the Start with a Tooltip every 2 Seconds.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 21/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, chilicheeseburger said:

I hope PB release a patch that makes it a little more intuitive and easier to control.

Their earlier games seem to have a bit of a following, do they throw them open for mods like Bethesda etc ?

I think the game looks awesome (and that the combat looks fun, too), and the reviews from players who understand PB games are really positive.

I'm waiting a few more days to buy the game, but I've been reading a bunch about it in the meantime. Apparently, the start of the game is very difficult, and avoiding many fights until level 10 or so is a good idea.

Here's a video of tips to survive in the game's world:

There have been some really unfair reviews for ELEX. The IGN one in particular is nonsense. The IGN reviewer complains that opponents' levels scale too quickly relative to the player - but there's no level-scaling in ELEX, so the reviewer was just assuming that because they were getting dominated that it was because the game design was making the opponents more powerful than them. That same reviewer complained that it took them over 2 hours to beat one boss, but the footage they included of them in that boss fight showed that the boss had a skull-symbol next to its health-bar, which indicates that the opponent is far beyond the level of the player, and they shouldn't try taking it on until they level up some. The Witcher 3 does the same thing, I think. Yet the reviewer presented his choice to fight something his character wasn't ready for as though it was a design flaw in the game. That IGN review is also by far the lowest scoring review for the game.

According to some reported information, Piranha Bytes is already working on ELEX 2, and is receiving 150,000 euros in funding assistance for it from the EU: https://www.worldofelex.de/en/site/news-archive/11-news-en/533-elex-2-confirmed

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I am soo tempted to jump in, probably end up buying it, or maybe wait till halloween sale and wing a small discount on it if possible.

2 minutes ago, strat guy said:

I am soo tempted to jump in, probably end up buying it, or maybe wait till halloween sale and wing a small discount on it if possible.

A huge Game for a fair price without any DLC or Microtransaction Bullshit. They deserve the 50 Bucks.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

16 minutes ago, Praesi said:

A huge Game for a fair price without any DLC or Microtransaction Bullshit. They deserve the 50 Bucks.

I tend to agree, devs who put their pure rpg nerd mana into making these deserve the monies.

I'll probably buckle tomorrow, been looking for a game to put some srs hours into and this seems right up my alley.

How is the RPG experience though, for eg with Bethesda and the Elder Scrolls and Fallout stuff there is too great an emphasis on just doing what you want in the open world but imo they compromise a bit too much with the immersion aspect wrt to the game universe and npcs/voice acting/cutscenes etc. The Witcher 3 really nailed it with the 'meaningful' side quests with the voice and cutscenes but that was a big league AAA game.

3 minutes ago, strat guy said:

How is the RPG experience though.

Expect Gothic in a new World. With all its Strength and Weakness.

24 minutes ago, strat guy said:

It's well worth its full price if you can get into RPGs since you can sink a lot of hours into it. Also, like @Praesi already said there's no microtransactions, no day one DLC.

4 hours ago, strat guy said:

Their earlier games seem to have a bit of a following, do they throw them open for mods like Bethesda etc ?

They do indeed have a following, especially in Germany and eastern Europe. I don't know if PB ever released any modding tools but there mods available, for example, here's a huge Gothic 2 mod that's in the works right now:

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I think the game looks awesome (and that the combat looks fun, too), and the reviews from players who understand PB games are really positive.

I'm waiting a few more days to buy the game, but I've been reading a bunch about it in the meantime. Apparently, the start of the game is very difficult, and avoiding many fights until level 10 or so is a good idea.

Here's a video of tips to survive in the game's world:

There have been some really unfair reviews for ELEX. The IGN one in particular is nonsense. The IGN reviewer complains that opponents' levels scale too quickly relative to the player - but there's no level-scaling in ELEX, so the reviewer was just assuming that because they were getting dominated that it was because the game design was making the opponents more powerful than them. That same reviewer complained that it took them over 2 hours to beat one boss, but the footage they included of them in that boss fight showed that the boss had a skull-symbol next to its health-bar, which indicates that the opponent is far beyond the level of the player, and they shouldn't try taking it on until they level up some. The Witcher 3 does the same thing, I think. Yet the reviewer presented his choice to fight something his character wasn't ready for as though it was a design flaw in the game. That IGN review is also by far the lowest scoring review for the game.

According to some reported information, Piranha Bytes is already working on ELEX 2, and is receiving 150,000 euros in funding assistance for it from the EU: https://www.worldofelex.de/en/site/news-archive/11-news-en/533-elex-2-confirmed

IGN has no idea what they're talking about. Of course the game isn't perfect but they're basically criticizing the game here because they're too dumb to play it. 

8 minutes ago, strat guy said:

I tend to agree, devs who put their pure rpg nerd mana into making these deserve the monies.

I'll probably buckle tomorrow, been looking for a game to put some srs hours into and this seems right up my alley.

How is the RPG experience though, for eg with Bethesda and the Elder Scrolls and Fallout stuff there is too great an emphasis on just doing what you want in the open world but imo they compromise a bit too much with the immersion aspect wrt to the game universe and npcs/voice acting/cutscenes etc. The Witcher 3 really nailed it with the 'meaningful' side quests with the voice and cutscenes but that was a big league AAA game.

If you ever played Gothic or Risen before, you know what to expect.

If you haven't, it's a little more difficult to explain. It's not comparable to TES or Fallout because you don't create your own character. There are, however, a lot of impactful choices you can make (e.g. which faction you join). Most quests also have multiple ways to solve them and multiple outcomes based on the choice you made. If I had to compare it to another game from a different dev, I'd say: Imagine Witcher 3 but made on a much tighter budget.

7 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

It's well worth its full price if you can get into RPGs since you can sink a lot of hours into it. Also, like @Praesi already said there's no microtransactions, no day one DLC.

They do indeed have a following, especially in Germany and eastern Europe. I don't know if PB ever released any modding tools but there mods available, for example, here's a huge Gothic 2 mod that's in the works right now:

IGN has no idea what they're talking about. Of course the game isn't perfect but they're basically criticizing the game here because they're too dumb to play it. 

Ya. The IGN Review was a Joke. Even more pathetic than usual.

Just now, Praesi said:

Ya. The IGN Review was a Joke. Even more pathetic than usual.

I just ignore IGN and hope they don't ruin humble bundle. If I want to look at a review for a game I watch either ACG

or Gggmanlives or similar channels on YouTube.

13 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Still playing Gothic 2 ? I know there's a big s.t.a.l.k.e.r modding and fan scene there, tried, didn't get into those games though.

Yeah, I'll probably get this soon. Do give The Technomancer a go  if you're into this kind of stuff (really need to go back and finish it)

4 minutes ago, strat guy said:

Still playing Gothic 2 ? I know there's a big s.t.a.l.k.e.r modding and fan scene there, tried, didn't get into those games though.

Yeah, I'll probably get this soon. Do give The Technomancer a go  if you're into this kind of stuff (really need to go back and finish it)

I haven't played Gothic 2 in a long time. It's probably been ten years. I tried S.t.a.l.k.e.r. as well but couldn't get into it either. I will give Technomancer a try after I'm done playing Elex. It looks interesting but for some reason, it completely passed me by.