Magic Task Manager? Someone Explain This!

BACKSTORY:

So.. I'm new here. Signed up just to tell my story. Forgive me if this belongs somewhere else. 

Anyways, I have a simple server. Just old hardware functioning as a NAS. For good measure I'll list the important hardware:

i3-2120 3.3GHz

4Gig's of RAM

3 HDD's

This runs on Windows Server 2012R2 and functions perfectly for my needs, which are SMB shares. I access this server only with Remote Desktop when necessary, however I notice that everything runs EXTREMELY slow. Especially Windows Explorer. The funny thing is that browsing the shares on any other PC runs smoothly, even though the shares are on the slow server.

INTERESTING STUFF STARTS HERE:

So one day while using Remote Desktop I noticed, by coincidence, that while Task Manager was open in the background, everything seemed to run smoothly. I started testing this. I closed TM and navigated Explorer. Now it was slow as balls. Then I opened TM again; everything runs perfectly.

WHAT?!?!?

I have tested this extensively now and can only conclude that my Task Manager is magic since this works every time.

I now have Task Manager running in the background all the time with refresh speed set to "Paused" and everything runs smooth like butter.

Doesn't sound right. I have used Windows Server 2012 R2 plenty and I've never seen weird behavior like that. It's faster on older hardware (core 2 Duos) than Windows 10 is on my much newer Sandy Bridge machine, even after almost two years of use and abuse. It just hasn't slowed down. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

About malware: I haven't noticed any speed differences (except for the TM trick) since Windows was installed so I doubt it.

About performance: I agree, it runs perfectly. It's only when I'm navigating GUI through RDP (don't have monitor or keyboard hooked up so don't know if that's different) that it's painfully slow. Unless I open Task Manager of course :D WTF? :D

Just a "by the way". I'm not necessarily here for tips or help. Mostly wanted to tell my story of Windows craziness :D

1 minute ago, CykelStativet said:

About malware: I haven't noticed any speed differences (except for the TM trick) since Windows was installed so I doubt it.

About performance: I agree, it runs perfectly. It's only when I'm navigating GUI through RDP (don't have monitor or keyboard hooked up so don't know if that's different) that it's painfully slow. Unless I open Task Manager of course :D WTF? :D

I'm curious. Does it do this when managed locally?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

I'm curious. Does it do this when managed locally?

Well, I'm just not sure since I don't have monitor and keyboard hooked up. It's in a closet (ventilated, relax :D) so I'm not keen on testing it.

- Moved to Servers and NAS -

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

A lot of viruses detect that task manager is running and stop the moment you open it. Try using something like System Explorer to see running tasks.

Update: I'm stupid. Forums are smarter than me.

Rouge msiexec.exe.

Problem solved.

Going to corner of shame.