can any usb-c port be used to charge a laptop

backstory: So my sister bought a new laptop,  asus zenbook ux430u, a realy good laptop for the price, however while the laptop was charging with the original charger, her child stepped on the charger and the metal bit that goes innside the laptop broke off, so its stuck inside the charging port on the laptop. my sister tried to pry it out but with no luck, the guys at the store said that to fix it they need a new motherboard that cost as much as the laptop. now the laptop has a usb-c 3.1 port, the asus website says very litle about what that port is capable of. 

question: can all type-c usb 3.1 ports be used as charging ports, and if it is device dependent, will the motherboard be shortet if i conect a type-c charger to the laptop. 

I don't believe so,
I have a laptop that charges off of USB C but it will only charge off 1 specific USB C port not any of the others.

That is strange they can't get it out, do you know if it actually damage the motherboard at all, or is it just stuck in the port?

33 minutes ago, dndfm said:

backstory: So my sister bought a new laptop,  asus zenbook ux430u, a realy good laptop for the price, however while the laptop was charging with the original charger, her child stepped on the charger and the metal bit that goes innside the laptop broke off, so its stuck inside the charging port on the laptop. my sister tried to pry it out but with no luck, the guys at the store said that to fix it they need a new motherboard that cost as much as the laptop. now the laptop has a usb-c 3.1 port, the asus website says very litle about what that port is capable of. 

question: can all type-c usb 3.1 ports be used as charging ports, and if it is device dependent, will the motherboard be shortet if i conect a type-c charger to the laptop. 

No, it can't be used to charge the laptop, and can you post a picture of the broken port so I may suggest potential solutions,

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

11 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

No, it can't be used to charge the laptop, and can you post a picture of the broken port so I may suggest potential solutions,

thx, yes, as you can see my sister did a beautiful jobb trying to pry the bit out, its like its glued in there. 

20171014_012220.jpg

20171014_012226.jpg

1 minute ago, dndfm said:

thx, yes, as you can see my sister did a beautiful jobb trying to pry the bit out, its like its glued in there. 

20171014_012226.jpg

It looks like the bottom part is bent locking it in there.

Just now, Thermosman said:

Could you take it apart and take a picture of the charging port housing, or will that void the warranty?

there aint no warranty no more, i dont have small enough torx screwdriver, im buying a kit at the local hardware store tommorrow, its 01.30 am in norway now.

Just now, dndfm said:

there aint no warranty no more, i dont have small enough torx screwdriver, im buying a kit at the local hardware store tommorrow, its 01.30 am in norway now.

well go to sleep for gods sake. finish this in the morning

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

Could you take it apart and take a picture of the charging port housing, or will that void the warranty?

I am not sure if we care about the warranty any more considering it is broken and the damage that was cause is not covered under the warranty.

Just now, Catsrules said:

I am not sure if we care about the warranty any more considering it is broken and the damage that was cause is not covered under the warranty.

that is what i thought, but not sure

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

well go to sleep for gods sake. finish this in the morning

haha, I will open this sumbich tomorrow and post more pictures, have a good night fellas

Open up the laptop until you can access the motherboard and disconnect the DC power port from the motherboard and try prying the metal part out from the inside. I can't really say about the structure of the DC port but if you can specifically disconnect it, replacement is relatively cheap and it won't involve replacing the whole motherboard.

Daily drivers:

- HP Elite x2 1012 G2: Intel Core i7-7600U, Intel HD Graphics 620 + Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080 eGPU, 16GB LPDDR3-1867, 256GB Toshiba NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD + 128GB Toshiba Exceria UHS-1 U3 MicroSD, 12.3" 2736x1824 + HP Pavilion 22cwa Monitor 21.5" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

- LG V20 (H990DS): Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (ARM-based), Adreno 530, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC UFS 2.0 + 64GB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 U3 V30 MicroSD, 5.7" IPS LCD 1440p + 2.1" 160x1040, Android 7.0 (LG UX 5.0)

Other devices:

- Lenovo IdeaPad Y400: Intel Core i7-3630QM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB Kingston mS200 mSATA SSD + 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 7200rpm 2.5" HDD, 14" 768p, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Dell Venue 11 Pro (7139): Intel Core i5-4300Y, Intel HD Graphics 4200, 8GB LPDDR3-1600, 256GB SanDisk X110 M.2 2260 SATA3 SSD, 10.8" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Acer Iconia W4: Intel Atom Z3740, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB DDR3L-1033, 64GB Samsung MCG8GC eMMC, 8" IPS WXGA (1280x800), Windows 10 Home 32-bit

- Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML: Intel Atom Z3580 (x86-based), PowerVR G6430, 4GB LPDDR3, 64GB eMMC, 5.5" IPS LCD 1080p, Android 6.0.1 (Asus ZenUI)

- New Nintendo 2DS XL