Need help with gaming laptop decision (Alienware 15 vs Razer Blade)

So I'm looking to buy a new gaming laptop and I just can't make the decision between the two. I'll list the specs below:

RB:

i7 7700

16GB DDR4 RAM

GTX 1060

512 GB M.2 SSD

Alienware 15:

i7 7820HK

16GB DDR4 2667MHz RAM

GTX 1070

1 TB HDD + 256 GB PCIe SSD

I'm looking to pay around 2000 GBP, and I know there may be better options than these two laptops but those are the one I'm currently considering.  I know each laptop has its ups and downs, like thermals and acoustics for the RB and the weight and bulkiness of the AW. Is the performance worth sacrificing the portability? If anyone who has had experience with any of these two laptops can also share their thoughts I would very much appreciate it. At the end of the day I'm just looking for a reason to go either way!

I would get an aorus x3/x5 or the Alienwarte 13

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I would get an aorus x3/x5 or the Alienwarte 13

I like your name :P Im from damascus myself. I'm afraid that the 13 inch screen would be too small for my liking. I'll definitely check out the Aorus's though. Are there any obvious advantages they have over the ones I've mentioned?

There's an MSI GE72MVR 7RG Apache Pro direct from Amazon (UK) for £1900.
7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1070, 1TB HDD + 512GB SSD.

Bonus from the ones you picked, this laptop has a 17.3 inch display with a 120Hz refresh rate.

1 minute ago, Nothin Toxic said:

There's an MSI GE72MVR 7RG Apache Pro direct from Amazon (UK) for £1900.
7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1070, 1TB HDD + 512GB SSD.

Bonus from the ones you picked, this laptop has a 17.3 inch display with a 120Hz refresh rate.

That's a very good suggestion but I'd never go for a 17.3" screen :P I do quite a bit of travelling and just generally don't like the bigger screen. I'm also quite worried about the build quality, as obviously it can't really match that of the RB or the AW.

Just now, OhhJayyy1193 said:

That's a very good suggestion but I'd never go for a 17.3" screen :P I do quite a bit of travelling and just generally don't like the bigger screen. I'm also quite worried about the build quality, as obviously it can't really match that of the RB or the AW.

Aww, that's a shame. I carry my 17.3" MSI laptop about now and again, it's not too bad tbh.
I've never had any problems with the build quality.

You might wanna have a look on box.co.uk, I've been looking for some desktop parts recently and found them to be cheaper than places like Amazon (even during their prime day "deals"). Acer Predator 15 G9-593 is £1690 there.

5 minutes ago, Nothin Toxic said:

Aww, that's a shame. I carry my 17.3" MSI laptop about now and again, it's not too bad tbh.
I've never had any problems with the build quality.

You might wanna have a look on box.co.uk, I've been looking for some desktop parts recently and found them to be cheaper than places like Amazon (even during their prime day "deals"). Acer Predator 15 G9-593 is £1690 there.

I'll have a look, thanks! Any recommendation between the AW and the RB?

33 minutes ago, OhhJayyy1193 said:

So I'm looking to buy a new gaming laptop and I just can't make the decision between the two. I'll list the specs below:

RB:

i7 7700

16GB DDR4 RAM

GTX 1060

512 GB M.2 SSD

Alienware 15:

i7 7820HK

16GB DDR4 2667MHz RAM

GTX 1070

1 TB HDD + 256 GB PCIe SSD

I'm looking to pay around 2000 GBP, and I know there may be better options than these two laptops but those are the one I'm currently considering.  I know each laptop has its ups and downs, like thermals and acoustics for the RB and the weight and bulkiness of the AW. Is the performance worth sacrificing the portability? If anyone who has had experience with any of these two laptops can also share their thoughts I would very much appreciate it. At the end of the day I'm just looking for a reason to go either way!

https://www.obsidian-pc.com/en/clevo-p650hp6-p650hs.html#.WXega1FLfIU

P650HS-G GTX 1070 8GB i7-7820HK 120hz   +€1,784.98
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut   +€0.00
Lap & Polish - Cooler GPU+CPU   +€0.00
16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Impact 2400   +€167.86
250GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO   +€159.18
1TB FIRECUDA SSHD   +€83.93
Intel Wifi AC8265 & BT4.2   +€9.99
United Kingdom Keyboard P6 RGB   +€46.49
Free Lifetime Labor Warranty   +€0.00
16GB Install USB PEN   +€0.00
Report and Benchmark Archive   +€0.00

Total Price: €2,252.44  -------> 2 012 £
Spoiler

1 minute ago, sicily428 said:

https://www.obsidian-pc.com/en/clevo-p650hp6-p650hs.html#.WXega1FLfIU

P650HS-G GTX 1070 8GB i7-7820HK 120hz   +€1,784.98
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut   +€0.00
Lap & Polish - Cooler GPU+CPU   +€0.00
16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Impact 2400   +€167.86
250GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO   +€159.18
1TB FIRECUDA SSHD   +€83.93
Intel Wifi AC8265 & BT4.2   +€9.99
United Kingdom Keyboard P6 RGB   +€46.49
Free Lifetime Labor Warranty   +€0.00
16GB Install USB PEN   +€0.00
Report and Benchmark Archive   +€0.00

Total Price: €2,252.44  -------> 2 012 £

I've never heard of them, I'll definitely give it a look, cheers!!

I've never heard of them, I'll definitely give it a look, cheers!!

you are welcome! that is a really good european clevo reseller

here more infos about clevos

Spoiler

Between those two, I'd personally go for the AW, I prefer the bulkyness.

22 minutes ago, OhhJayyy1193 said:

they are not comparable IMO because Razer balde is abotu 1.9kgs and that alienware 15 r3 is about 3.6kgs.

RB alternatives could be gigabyte aero 15 or aorus x5

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, OhhJayyy1193 said:

I like your name :P Im from damascus myself. I'm afraid that the 13 inch screen would be too small for my liking. I'll definitely check out the Aorus's though. Are there any obvious advantages they have over the ones I've mentioned?

The razer blade is 14", alienware 13 is 13.9" - a 0.1" size difference.  Never get a Blade TBH, the have bad build quality, cooling and tech support.  

Now the reason why you want the 13.9" version of the AW is summed up in the LTT video, the 15" has a worse screen and is heavier for what you get.  The 13 has what is likely THE BEST screen available on any laptop to date.  OLED, high res all that good stuff.

Oh and aorus is good because even the x3 has an unlocked CPU

22 minutes ago, Damascus said:

The razer blade is 14", alienware 13 is 13.9" - a 0.1" size difference.  Never get a Blade TBH, the have bad build quality, cooling and tech support.  

Now the reason why you want the 13.9" version of the AW is summed up in the LTT video, the 15" has a worse screen and is heavier for what you get.  The 13 has what is likely THE BEST screen available on any laptop to date.  OLED, high res all that good stuff.

You can't get an AW 13 with a 1070 though :/ In terms of the screen I'd be connecting it to a monitor for most of my usage anyway, looks like the AW 15 is the best option. Aorus in the UK is pretty expensive, starting at 2250 pounds, 250 more than the maximum I'd spend tbh. I thought RB's build quality was supposed to be really good though, am I wrong in thinking so? 

2 minutes ago, OhhJayyy1193 said:

You can't get an AW 13 with a 1070 though

same with the RB

2 minutes ago, OhhJayyy1193 said:

I thought RB's build quality was supposed to be really good though, am I wrong in thinking so? 

Not really.  it doesn't have enough heatpipes for any good cooling and they are plagued with quality control issues.  I would check out the Gigabyte aero 14/15 as an alternative to the RB

Just now, Damascus said:

same with the RB

Not really.  it doesn't have enough heatpipes for any good cooling and they are plagued with quality control issues.  I would check out the Gigabyte aero 14/15 as an alternative to the RB

I currently own a Gigabyte P34 and it is the worst laptop I have ever owned xD The battery expanded so much that it popped the frame and now this is what my laptop looks like.

IMG_20170725_2201228.jpg

IMG_20170725_2201333.jpg

IMG_20170725_2201415.jpg

I currently own a Gigabyte P34 and it is the worst laptop I have ever owned xD The battery expanded so much that it popped the frame and now this is what my laptop looks like.

Not even the same lineup also RMA that sucker!  Or at least get yourself a new battery

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Not even the same lineup also RMA that sucker!  Or at least get yourself a new battery

Getting myself a new laptop mate xD Warranty ran out two years ago! Just feel like I'd be making a mistake going back to Gigabyte

19 minutes ago, OhhJayyy1193 said:

Getting myself a new laptop mate xD Warranty ran out two years ago! Just feel like I'd be making a mistake going back to Gigabyte

Fair I supose, btw Aorus is gigabytes gaming brand :P I definiteley recomend the AW 15 in this case (though actually you can get a 1080 laptop for 2K)

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Fair I supose, btw Aorus is gigabytes gaming brand :P I definiteley recomend the AW 15 in this case (though actually you can get a 1080 laptop for 2K)

I could get an AW 15 with a 1080 if I wanted to for 2k, but I'd sacrifice the SSD, also I'm afraid it would heat up alot and throttle

4 minutes ago, OhhJayyy1193 said:

I could get an AW 15 with a 1080 if I wanted to for 2k, but I'd sacrifice the SSD, also I'm afraid it would heat up alot and throttle

I actually recommend putting the ssd in yourself no matter what route you go down.  Save yourself 100-250 bucks that way

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I actually recommend putting the ssd in yourself no matter what route you go down.  Save yourself 100-250 bucks that way

The price difference between the 1070 and the 1080MQ is 330 pounds, is it worth the upgrade? I know that the 1080MQ is not as good as the desktop 1080, but not sure on the specifics and if it's worth the price difference

Dude the max Q is basically a 1070, if you go 1080 get an actual 1080

Just now, Damascus said:

Dude the max Q is basically a 1070, if you go 1080 get an actual 1080

They don't make AW 15s with 1080s, only MQs. Are there other 1080 laptops for under 2k? Seems a bit far fetched tbh