Adapting A Cooler For Socket G2

AshleyAshes

You want a weird case?  I got a weird case.  I'm sitting on an Intel Socket G2 ITX motherboard, which for clarity, that's the laptop/mobile Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridget socket. The plan is to recycle an Acer laptop with it's i7 2630QM CPU, it's RAM and it's SSD to powerup this Advantech AIMB-272G2-1101E-T motherboard I picked up off eBay.  The core issue is that while it shipped with is your typical small, loud, server type, with a 'dustbuster' 40mm fan.  I'd like to adapt something like a Noctua NH-L9a to fit over the CPU and offer up deal quiet operation.  The i7 2630QM is only rated at 45w TDP so the cooling capacity of the cooler should be fine, but making it fit an obscure socket is the challenge.

I've never adapted a cooler before so I'd enjoy some suggestions particularly as I don't even think that there is a standard 'Socket G2' cooler, so different boards use different styled cooling designs and mounts.  Though this one us using 50mm spacing between the mount screw points.

7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

You want a weird case?  I got a weird case.  I'm sitting on an Intel Socket G2 ITX motherboard, which for clarity, that's the laptop/mobile Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridget socket. The plan is to recycle an Acer laptop with it's i7 2630QM CPU, it's RAM and it's SSD to powerup this Advantech AIMB-272G2-1101E-T motherboard I picked up off eBay.  The core issue is that while it shipped with is your typical small, loud, server type, with a 'dustbuster' 40mm fan.  I'd like to adapt something like a Noctua NH-L9a to fit over the CPU and offer up deal quiet operation.  The i7 2630QM is only rated at 45w TDP so the cooling capacity of the cooler should be fine, but making it fit an obscure socket is the challenge.

I've never adapted a cooler before so I'd enjoy some suggestions particularly as I don't even think that there is a standard 'Socket G2' cooler, so different boards use different styled cooling designs and mounts.  Though this one us using 50mm spacing between the mount screw points.

I would suggest to check the mounting holes first to see how close of a match they are to the 115X socket on the Noctua cooler to see if it will fit within that space. 

Page 30:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/4th-gen-core-lga1150-socket-guide.pdf

you could perhaps buy a laptop heatsink fan assembly for socket G2 and modify it so that it will work. I believe that laptop fans are more silent and they should work without any issues. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

I would suggest to check the mounting holes first to see how close of a match they are to the 115X socket on the Noctua cooler to see if it will fit within that space. 

Page 30:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/4th-gen-core-lga1150-socket-guide.pdf

75mm vs 50mm, so it's a biiiiit of a discrepancy. :P

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

75mm vs 50mm, so it's a biiiiit of a discrepancy. :P

It's doable if there is enough clearance around the socket since the cooler is quite big compared to the small original one there. If you can get a new bracket for the sides fabricated and replace the original ones in place it should work, just note that height is a big concern since it's a direct die contact it will have to be very exactly anything too much or too little can crack the die or make bad contact. Your most likely going to want to add spacers manually to adjust for it or get something machined very close. 

Related image

• 4 years later...
On 7/9/2017 at 2:29 PM, AshleyAshes said:

I have a similar case... I want to use an HP Envy DV7 notebook motherboard to build a desktop computer, and replace the original CPU, GPU and south bridge cooling with some system with better performance.

the main problem would be the holes for fixing the heatsinks, as you can see in the photos.

I'm still looking for something that comes close to that standard, but so far I haven't found anything.

Any suggestion?

20211217_090631.jpg

20211217_090701.jpg

20211217_090723.jpg

20211222_135829.jpg