Pf Sense Access Point Setup Help.

Matt_TPrice

Im running pfSense on an old DELL Dimension 3000.  I have 4 pci expansion slots. 1 of which is taken up by a gigabit nic.

Im going to install a wireless N network card. For wifi in that area of the house. Thats the part i understand and can do with no problem

But I need wifi on the second floor of the house for the rest of my family. (I rule the network and I live in the basement) so I have another gigabit nic im wanting to use to run a cat 6 cable up through my house to the 2nd floor So i can connect it to an AP. (My pfsense router is in the basement)

So the question is. How do I configure pfSense to use an access point and how to I configure my old linksys router to be an access point.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shove your "cinematic experience" where the sun don't shine!

Just be sure that you disable DHCP on the the Linksys router. There will be conflict on if there are two DHCP routers enabled. 

Find the setting to change from Gateway to Router, I think it's in the Advanced Routing section. Can't remember. Effectively, after those to settings, it would become a switch with wireless access. 

Teksyndicate did a video on how to install, and setup pfSense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JFfpG4BWI

Just be sure that you disable DHCP on the the Linksys router. There will be conflict on if there are two DHCP routers enabled. 

Find the setting to change from Gateway to Router, I think it's in the Advanced Routing section. Can't remember. Effectively, after those to settings, it would become a switch with wireless access. 

Teksyndicate did a video on how to install, and setup pfSense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JFfpG4BWI

You are sure about changing the gateway settings to router?  And yeah tek syndicate gave me the idea to do it.

So I can plug the access point directly into my switch?

Shove your "cinematic experience" where the sun don't shine!

You are sure about changing the gateway settings to router?  And yeah tek syndicate gave me the idea to do it.

So I can plug the access point directly into my switch?

Having a router in Gateway mode, the router will be hosting the internet. In this case, you're having the secondary router on the network. Putting the secondary router into Router mode will disable hosting capabilities and act as a switch because you have an existing router (pfSense) already on the network doing the hosting. 

If you disable DHCP and change the mode, the router will be an access point and at the same time be another switch so you can plug in more wired devices to the network

Something worth noting about pfSense, it does not support wireless N. In a best case scenario you will get wireless G speed and range (even thought it might say wireless N) and in a worst case scenario it might not work at all.