Time to choose what to buy...

Go to solution Solved by Zando_,
Just now, martimrgp said:

Would you recommend me buying it for college/uni?

Yes. Since you can afford it, yeah. Even if you don't use all the power it has crammed inside, it'll last you ages, be nice and fast, and if you decide you don't like it, Macs have a much higher resale value vs other laptops. Plus, it's beautiful and awesome and all that. And if you have an iPhone or an iPad, it'll integrate seamlessly with them. 

Hey guys, before I start, I'm new to this forum :)

I live in UK and I'm going to college next year and then uni

Should i build a gaming pc or buy a laptop?

I was thinking of buying a MacBook Pro with touchbar (15 inch) but I'm not sure at all what to buy

Any opinions?

Budget up to £3200

EDIT: Thanks guys, I'll be purchasing my new MacBook Pro 2017 - 15 inch with touchbar

Again, thank's for your precious help :) 

Buy a Chromebook and build a desktop.

Just now, lilbman said:

Buy a Chromebook and build a desktop.

Aren't those horrible?

Their UI looks feature-less :v

(I understand a thing or two about tech)

If you want to game a macbook is pretty useless.

You'd get the best value by getting a gaming desktop and a decent laptop for school. Long battery life on your portable device and better gaming performance on your desktop. Unless you really want to game during class....

Does you mum know you're here?

What do you do at college? And a MacBook Pro 2017 is an awesome laptop, despite how much people complain about Macs and thermal throttling and such. Plus, it may be able to run some games, since they're bringing in native support for Unity and UE4, Metal 2, and VR. Plus, you can use an eGPU over TB3. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, VVoltor said:

If you want to game a macbook is pretty useless.

As of yet. Though Apple is making their own eGPU enclosure ($500 from what I heard, and that includes an RX580), and supporting a bunch of new game tech. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Aren't those horrible?

Their UI looks feature-less :v

(I understand a thing or two about tech)

Depends on which Chromebook you buy.  Some are worse than others-Lenovos N22 Chromebook is atrocious but some are actually nice to use.  They're cheap and are amazing for school stuff.  This video sums it up-LINK

Just now, Zando Bob said:

What do you do at college? And a MacBook Pro 2017 is an awesome laptop, despite how much people complain about Macs and thermal throttling and such. Plus, it may be able to run some games, since they're bringing in native support for Unity and UE4, Metal 2, and VR. Plus, you can use an eGPU over TB3. 

Studying for Neurosurgery, and yes ik, the macbook pro 2017 is a nice and optimised laptop which would be cool, but some people say it's bad so I'm 50/50 to buy

5 minutes ago, martimrgp said:

Hey guys, before I start, I'm new to this forum :)

I live in UK and I'm going to college next year and then uni

Should i build a gaming pc or buy a laptop?

I was thinking of buying a MacBook Pro with touchbar (15 inch) but I'm not sure at all what to buy

Any opinions?

Budget up to £3200

Is mobility a priority? I'd say buy a decent £1000 - £1500 Laptop and use the rest for your gaming PC

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

As of yet. Though Apple is making their own eGPU enclosure ($500 from what I heard, and that includes an RX580), and supporting a bunch of new game tech. 

Oh good to know, and by the time I buy it (If i will) I'll probably see Apple A10X/A11 in laptops? (Rumours?)

Studying for Neurosurgery, and yes ik, the macbook pro 2017 is a nice and optimised laptop which would be cool, but some people say it's bad so I'm 50/50 to buy

It's just as bad as any other massively powerful laptop crammed into a small enclosure. Except it's better, because the OS is optimized perfectly for the hardware, it's more secure, and the build quality is amazing. Will it thermal throttle? Yes, under heavy workloads. But that doesn't mean it suddenly runs like crap. It'll still run perfectly fast for anything you may be doing. 

Main PC 

Just now, Its Not Important said:

Is mobility a priority? I'd say buy a decent £1000 - £1500 Laptop and use the rest for your gaming PC

Yes mobile is priority, on the other hand I like the aesthetics of MB Pro 2017, but thanks for suggestion

It's just as bad as any other massively powerful laptop crammed into a small enclosure. Except it's better, because the OS is optimized perfectly for the hardware, it's more secure, and the build quality is amazing. Will it thermal throttle? Yes, under heavy workloads. But that doesn't mean it suddenly runs like crap. It'll still run perfectly fast for anything you may be doing. 

1 minute ago, martimrgp said:

Oh good to know, and by the time I buy it (If i will) I'll probably see Apple A10X/A11 in laptops? (Rumours?)

O don't think so. They'll probs be sticking with Intel, especially since they're bringing in more gaming features. 

Main PC 

O don't think so. They'll probs be sticking with Intel, especially since they're bringing in more gaming features. 

Ryzen is putting intel in a hard position for what i see

Yes. Since you can afford it, yeah. Even if you don't use all the power it has crammed inside, it'll last you ages, be nice and fast, and if you decide you don't like it, Macs have a much higher resale value vs other laptops. Plus, it's beautiful and awesome and all that. And if you have an iPhone or an iPad, it'll integrate seamlessly with them. 

Main PC 

Ryzen is putting intel in a hard position for what i see

Yeah. Though Apple has only ever supported Intel (and PowerPC, but that was ages ago. Though I still have a PowerMac G5 that runs just fine), and I don't think htey'd want to make a massive platform switch. 

Main PC 

I'd get a laptop, from experience, you won't have a lot of time to game, especially if your studying for neurosurgery.

Laptop offers portability, and something you can take notes on. If your wanting to get into neuroscience, gaming would be at maybe <1 per week, since you'll have lots of course content to go over and study.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

How about building quality, is it good?

Just now, Drake10114 said:

I'd get a laptop, from experience, you won't have a lot of time to game, especially if your studying for neurosurgery.

Laptop offers portability, and something you can take notes on. If your wanting to get into neuroscience, gaming would be at maybe <1 per week, since you'll have lots of course content to go over and study.

Would you recommend me a MB 2017 or any other laptop?

I like performance and battery life

Just now, Its Not Important said:

From my experience, Apple build quality are usually really good

Ok, thanks, from opinions here I'll get my wallet... and a kidney 

How about building quality, is it good?

Yes. It's a mac, so i'm assuming it's amazing. And I've gone and drooled over them at the Apple store (Amazing how tiny they are, the 15" one isn't much bigger than my old 13"), and they feel great. I've got a 2012 MacBook Pro and it's a solid laptop, and since the new ones are made from a single block of aluminium and have no moving parts aside from fans, they should be even sturdier. 

Main PC 

Would you recommend me a MB 2017 or any other laptop?

I like performance and battery life

What's your budget? Since that dictates what some choices are.

And god no, not a Mac, they are so overpriced and sucks ass for university, where majority of stuff is windows based pcs and microsoft office.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

2 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

What's your budget? Since that dictates what some choices are.

And god no, not a Mac, they are so overpriced and sucks ass for university, where majority of stuff is windows based pcs and microsoft office.

Bootcamp? You keep the macOS awesomeness for your personal use, then take 20 seconds or so to boot into windows for work. 

Main PC