Repairing a corrupted HDD

PSUGuru

About a monthe back, I got my hands on an old Dell. I restored it and gave it to my buddy for his birthday, and it's working perfectly. But during the restoration, the 750gb HDD that it came with doesn't work. When booted, it said Hard Drive failure or corrupted. (one of those two).

I still have it with me. The system was largely unused as there was absolutely no dust at all when I got it from the recycle bin. It's a Seagate 750gb HDD, 7200RPM. The drive is still detected in the system, but it doesn't work. I was curious as to what I could possibly do to restore the drive, if I could at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

plug it into a working system, see if you can recover any data

bonus points if you check it using crystal disk info.

if you cant, throw it out. its dead.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

plug it into a working system, see if you can recover any data

bonus points if you check it using crystal disk info.

if you cant, throw it out. its dead.

I think that'd be a little risky, recovering data from a drive that I found in the recycle bin. Who knows what sort of stuff it had inside it. I was hoping there'd be a possibly of reformatting the drive which would repair it, or some other method that can be used. If none of it works, I'll just take the HDD apart and put it on my shelf.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

Just now, QuantumElement said:

I think that'd be a little risky, recovering data from a drive that I found in the recycle bin. Who knows what sort of stuff it had inside it. I was hoping there'd be a possibly of reformatting the drive which would repair it, or some other method that can be used. If none of it works, I'll just take the HDD apart and put it on my shelf.

either:

its fine but data just got fucked because cosmic gods decided that

drive is dead

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Put it in a working machine and try to do a low-level format.  You can get a low-level format tool at the following website.  

http://hddguru.com/

After completing the low-level format, use something like the AOMEI Partition Assistant (FREE) to partition the drive and then after the partition, you can do a regular format to the drive.  The partition assistant software will give you the option of what format style you want to format the drive with, either NTFS, FAT32, etc..

http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

Depending on the size of the drive and other things, be prepared to let the low-level format tool to run a while.  I have done this many times over the past years and have never had any problems other than identifying a problem drive.

Good Luck.

You're most likely not going to get anything good. It's probably a mechanical or other physical failure. If the dates isn't yours, trash it. My buddy and I recovered data from a wiped drive we found. You don't want to know what was on it.

This is not the virus your looking for. Move along.