NH-D15 on a GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5

Has anyone happened to try the NH-D15 cooler on a Gigabyte GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 motherboard?

The Nocuta site says yes or no for a number of the Gigabyte Z270 motherboards, but not this one.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

Has anyone happened to try the NH-D15 cooler on a Gigabyte GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 motherboard?

The Nocuta site says yes or no for a number of the Gigabyte Z270 motherboards, but not this one.

Thanks

What you need to think about is the socket. 

What you should be asking is, "does the NH-D15 support LGA1151?", to which the answer is yes.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

9 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

What you need to think about is the socket. 

What you should be asking is, "does the NH-D15 support LGA1151?", to which the answer is yes.

I'm aware it supports the socket however there are some issues with the heatsink overhanging the closest PCI Express slot on some boards (GA-Z270X-Gaming 8 and 9) or the memory slots.  That's what I'm interested in.

16 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

Thanks

I haven't tried it personally, but with a quick look at noctua's compatibility list for D15 with Gigabyte board, it mostly interferes with the top most PCIe slot, so I'm guessing it is the same with this board.

Do you already own D15 cooler. If not maybe take a look at BeQuiet DarkRock Pro 3 or Phanteks TC14-PE as they are both good large dual tower air coolers.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

1 minute ago, G27Racer_188 said:

I haven't tried it personally, but with a quick look at noctua's compatibility list for D15 with Gigabyte board, it mostly interferes with the top most PCIe slot, so I'm guessing it is the same with this board.

Do you already own D15 cooler. If not maybe take a look at BeQuiet DarkRock Pro 3 or Phanteks TC14-PE as they are both good large dual tower air coolers.

I haven't bought the cooler yet (I have the motherboard), I thought I'd ask first. 

3 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

I haven't bought the cooler yet (I have the motherboard), I thought I'd ask first. 

I checked and D15 i compatible with zero gigabyte 1151 mATX boards.

If you want noctua cooler you could get D15S - higher compatibility version of the D15 which is offset to combat interfering with the top most slot, or NH-U14S.

Another option is the Cryorig R1 Ultimate.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

Pretty much all bigger tower coolers block 1st PCIe slot.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Pretty much all bigger tower coolers block 1st PCIe slot.

Which is really stupid when you think about it because the first PCIe slot is generally wired to be the fastest and where most people will put their graphics cards...

13 hours ago, G27Racer_188 said:

I checked and D15 i compatible with zero gigabyte 1151 mATX boards.

If you want noctua cooler you could get D15S - higher compatibility version of the D15 which is offset to combat interfering with the top most slot, or NH-U14S.

Another option is the Cryorig R1 Ultimate.

I didn't think to check the other mATX boards.  It looks like the NH-U15S will be a winner, except its £70 with one fan vs £80 for the NH-U15 with two fans and another NF-A15 fan would cost £20 bringing the NH-U15S up to £90...  sigh.

4 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

Which is really stupid when you think about it because the first PCIe slot is generally wired to be the fastest and where most people will put their graphics cards...

It's pretty common for the second slot to be x16 and the first a x1.

1 minute ago, Undergrid said:

I didn't think to check the other mATX boards.  It looks like the NH-U15S will be a winner, except its £70 with one fan vs £80 for the NH-U15 and another NF-A15 fan would cost £20 bringing the NH-U15S up to £90...  sigh.

You could just not get a second fan. It doesn't make much of a difference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

In mATX boards. Bigger coolers are aimed for ATX and above.

2 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

I didn't think to check the other mATX boards.  It looks like the NH-U15S will be a winner, except its £70 with one fan vs £80 for the NH-U15 with two fans and another NF-A15 fan would cost £20 bringing the NH-U15S up to £90...  sigh.

You mean U14S? As owner of it, you don't gain much cooling performance from 2nd fan and can add that later. I upgraded to second fan 1 year after when I changed whole fan layout.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Really?  I have never seen that, though the last time I built a gaming PC was in the days of the 3570k.  Checking my motherboards manual, the first PCIe slot is wired at x16, then an x1 (sized as x1) then an x8 and x4 both sized as x16.

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

In mATX boards. Bigger coolers are aimed for ATX and above.

You mean U14S? As owner of it, you don't gain much cooling performance from 2nd fan and can add that later. I upgraded to second fan 1 year after when I changed whole fan layout.

No, I meant the D15S (sorry).  A higher compatibility version of the D15 (it's offset to one side in a way that clears the PCIe slot).  Performance is just about the same as the D15 if you add a second fan, a few degrees more without it.

1 minute ago, Undergrid said:

No, I meant the U15S.  A higher compatibility version of the U15 (it's offset to one side in a way that clears the PCIe slot).  Performance is just about the same as the U15 if you add a second fan, a few degrees more without it.

D15S that is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

D15S that is.

Yeah, I just edited my previous post...  It's way too early in the morning for me (at least that's my excuse)

12 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

Yeah, I just edited my previous post...  It's way too early in the morning for me (at least that's my excuse)

Np. Its just confusing trying to figure out which cooler you are talking about. But in the end, few degree difference is something you need to think if you want to spend money on now. You can always do it later. Maybe see how cooler fits and works before getting absolutely everything.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 minutes ago, Undergrid said:

Really?  I have never seen that, though the last time I built a gaming PC was in the days of the 3570k.  Checking my motherboards manual, the first PCIe slot is wired at x16, then an x1 (sized as x1) then an x8 and x4 both sized as x16.

I'm not sure but it seems a x1 slot at the top is the norm for most popular z77 motherboards in PCPartpicker.

I actually haven't opened a single link from here: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=52&sort=-rating&page=1 that has a x16 slot at the top--not that I've gone through all of them.

Spoiler

51-hKeYsGyL.jpg51MAyaw43WL.jpgada6fcd3d5691da51b1950aaa380a964.1600.jp61P91QAo3FL.jpg618pfhpKU+L.jpg61RCfgw1OyL.jpg513wfysRHEL.jpg51+YtGT7uJL.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure but it seems a x1 slot at the top is the norm for most popular z77 motherboards in PCPartpicker.

I actually haven't opened a single link from this https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=52&sort=-rating&page=1 that has a x16 slot at the top--not that I've gone through all of them.

Reveal hidden contents

51-hKeYsGyL.jpg51MAyaw43WL.jpgada6fcd3d5691da51b1950aaa380a964.1600.jp61P91QAo3FL.jpg618pfhpKU+L.jpg61RCfgw1OyL.jpg513wfysRHEL.jpg51+YtGT7uJL.jpg

Well, I'll be...

I have a GA-Z77X-UD5H and I swear I've never noticed that x1 slot...

Looking at Gigabyte's current offerings, the GA-Z270X-Gaming 8 and 9 have a x16 slot as the first slot, but I'm guessing that's because those boards are intended for  SLI, the Gaming 7 has the x1 slot again.  And appart from that it looks like it's just the smaller mATX and ITX boards that have x16 slots in the first (or only in ITX case) position.

I stand corrected.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That is pretty common on ZXX(X) ATX motherboards, but very rarely on mATX, which is the form factor of OP's motherboard.

3 hours ago, Undergrid said:

D15S will be a good choice. You can omit the second fan, as it doesn't make that much difference and keep the cost down, but you can add it later down the line.