Any good free stress test programs?

Hey there,

So I wanna overclock.

Why?

I'm sitting here at my desk, wanting to stream some games (particularly Rocket League), and I want to get a solid 144 frames per second while doing so, so streaming doesn't hurt my own gaming experience.

Right now, that isn't the case. I'm getting 110-125 depending on the moment in game, which is while I'm streaming in 720p at 60fps with 4000 bit rate via OBS.

So my thought is: "Will I be able to squeeze that extra performance out of my CPU and GPU?"

You probably want to know my specs to answer that question, so here they are: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CmhCPs

And to do the overclocking, I am in need of some stress test programs like AIDA 64, which don't cost money since I'm close to being broke after buying my computer.

Thanks for any help whether it's regarding my streaming settings or with overclocking, it's greatly appreciated! If you have any questions you need answered, feel free to ask in the comments as well.

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

Furmark is good for the GPU. 

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

AIDA 64, Prime 95, games, more games, and all of the games. I've had a few "stable" overclocks passing the 24 hour mark only to be defeated when playing Rocket League.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Dragonheart said:

Furmark is good for the GPU. 

Can you send a link to a download so I know I'm getting the right one, please?

Just now, ARikozuM said:

AIDA 64, Prime 95, games, more games, and all of the games. I've had a few "stable" overclocks passing the 24 hour mark only to be defeated when playing Rocket League.

Don't have any other games than Rocket League as of right now, so stress testing will kind of be my only way of checking if it's stable :/

The dream:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

Just now, MValuableP said:

Don't have any other games than Rocket League as of right now, so stress testing will kind of be my only way of checking if it's stable :/

In that case, P95, AIDA64, and Rocket League. 

You can throw in Microsoft Word as well. /s /s /maybe

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

In that case, P95, AIDA64, and Rocket League. 

You can throw in Microsoft Word as well. /s /s /maybe

I'll try it out, thanks!

Don't think it'll handle word though :(

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

Just now, MValuableP said:

I'll try it out, thanks!

Don't think it'll handle word though :(

I've had it happen with PowerPoint... Not fun.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I've had it happen with PowerPoint... Not fun.

Alright, so I've encountered another problem. I can't get into my BIOS. Whenever I hit delete while the pc is loading up, it just acts as if I didn't do anything even though I'm pressing the right button as displayed when it's starting up...

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MValuableP said:

Alright, so I've encountered another problem. I can't get into my BIOS. Whenever I hit delete while the pc is loading up, it just acts as if I didn't do anything even though I'm pressing the right button as displayed when it's starting up...

The button you press is different for each mobo. Check your manual

12 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

Alright, so I've encountered another problem. I can't get into my BIOS. 

Do you have Windows?

@MValuableP Go into Advanced Startup and "Go into UEFI".

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

F2 might work. 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

17 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Do you have Windows?

@MValuableP Go into Advanced Startup and "Go into UEFI".

Don't think I've ever facepalmed this hard. I was pressing backspace thinking "oh yeah, that's the "DEL" button"...........

anyway, I got it to work, and I went and did a stress test of my 7700k on 4.7GHz @ 1.30 voltage, and it survived for over 10 minutes!

I'll leave some photos here as well for you to see the AIDA64 stress test results. What do you think? I think the temps are a little high with core 3 and 4 reaching 91 and 90 respectively.

If I want to lower those temps, should I increase voltage?

Edit: I want this to be a 24/7 stable overclock, so any recommendations on what I should try to get it to for that?

Edit 2: Forgot to add pic

stabilitytest 4.7GHz @ 1.30 volts.png

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

What settings are you using with OBS as with the card you're using you can use the hardware NVEMC setting which shunts all the video encoding work to the GPU and doesn't impact performance that much.

Also you should use any of the currently available unigine benchmark tools as they're a good start for checking if GPU overclocks are stable (just remember that what is good for one program isn't always good for everything else).

Just now, demonix00 said:

What settings are you using with OBS as with the card you're using you can use the hardware NVEMC setting which shunts all the video encoding work to the GPU and doesn't impact performance that much.

Also you should use any of the currently available unigine benchmark tools as they're a good start for checking if GPU overclocks are stable (just remember that what is good for one program isn't always good for everything else).

I'm streaming with the x264 encoder, should I try with the NVENC one?

And I downloaded the drivers for my GPU, and with that GPU Tweak II came, and in there it shows some "tools" where one of them is FurMark, so I'm going to use that since it's recommended by ASUS :)

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

I'm streaming with the x264 encoder, should I try with the NVENC one?

And I downloaded the drivers for my GPU, and with that GPU Tweak II came, and in there it shows some "tools" where one of them is FurMark, so I'm going to use that since it's recommended by ASUS :)

The x264 encoder is software based and would impact in game performance since it would be using the CPU more (I'm just guessing here), while the NVEMC encoder is actually similar to what shadowplay (the capture software included with gforce experience) uses and doesn't have as much of an impact since all the work related to video encoding is being done by the GPU so it should be the option used since you have supported hardware.

2 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

The x264 encoder is software based and would impact in game performance since it would be using the CPU more (I'm just guessing here), while the NVEMC encoder is actually similar to what shadowplay (the capture software included with gforce experience) uses and doesn't have as much of an impact since all the work related to video encoding is being done by the GPU so it should be the option used since you have supported hardware.

I tried it out, and nothing changed to be honest. Is OBS a demanding software? Would I be better off using xSplit since that's also supported by ASUS?

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

If you did the full install of your GPU drivers directly from nvidia, you would already have the geforce experience along with shadowplay which would already be configured to use the correct hardware settings (although you might have to drop the bitrate settings since they are set really high) so you should just test everything to see what is the best option.

Also, since you was looking for free stress testing programs I wouldn't recommend xSplit since it's a pay to use program.

Just now, demonix00 said:

If you did the full install of your GPU drivers directly from nvidia, you would already have the geforce experience along with shadowplay which would already be configured to use the correct hardware settings (although you might have to drop the bitrate settings since they are set really high) so you should just test everything to see what is the best option.

Also, since you was looking for free stress testing programs I wouldn't recommend xSplit since it's a pay to use program.

Does Shadowplay alow streaming?

Also, I think I got a code or something for a year of free xSplit, but I'm not too sure, I'll have to check that out

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, MValuableP said:

anyway, I got it to work, and I went and did a stress test of my 7700k on 4.7GHz @ 1.30 voltage, and it survived for over 10 minutes!

10mins is OK for checking that it doesn't crash. You'd need to run few hours to verify stability.

I'll leave some photos here as well for you to see the AIDA64 stress test results. What do you think? I think the temps are a little high with core 3 and 4 reaching 91 and 90 respectively.

90C is high. My personal too much limit is 87C on hottest core. You have hot chip in general, but still.

If I want to lower those temps, should I increase voltage?

NO. Higher voltaic and clocks mean higher temps. To get lower temps you lower voltage or get better cooling.

Edit: I want this to be a 24/7 stable overclock, so any recommendations on what I should try to get it to for that?

Stress test and tweak.

As for software, OCCT is my personal goto. And it's free.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

for the cpu o have always OCCT that thing can bring a cpu to its knees.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

10 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

10mins is OK for checking that it doesn't crash. You'd need to run few hours to verify stability.

90C is high. My personal too much limit is 87C on hottest core. You have hot chip in general, but still.

NO. Higher voltaic and clocks mean higher temps. To get lower temps you lower voltage or get better cooling.

Stress test and tweak.

As for software, OCCT is my personal goto. And it's free.

Lowered voltage and tried to run it @ 1.265, and I got some "better" ish results.

Got a max of 89 degrees on the 3rd core with averages being at 70-71.

Think I'll try to lower it even more, might work on a 1.250 voltage.

stabilitytest 2 4.7GHz @ 1.265 voltage.png

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

Lowered voltage and tried to run it @ 1.265, and I got some "better" ish results.

Got a max of 89 degrees on the 3rd core with averages being at 70-71.

Think I'll try to lower it even more, might work on a 1.250 voltage.

Keep lowering the voltage until it crashes or is no longer stable. Once you find that point, go back to an old value and run a long-term benchmark suite like I suggested before. Voltage will increase the temps on the cores and if you see that one core is much higher than the others, you can back just that one down via a "per core" overclock so that it doesn't try to draw as much voltage through itself for stability.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler