ECC memory on MSI X58 pro-e with Xeon X5650

hi,

I'm planning on building a new budget Gaming PC with R9 290's in crossfire and an X5650, MSI x58 pro-e but I'm running out of budget and as we al know RAM prices are high so I started thinking that I could use some cheap ECC memory with my Xeon. so I want to know has anyone tried ECC memory on the MSI X58 pro-e because I know the Xeon will support it. I have seen somethings like: yea it supports it cuz the memory controller is in the CPU. but I also have seen that someone with a Xeon that tried ECC but didn't work.

I have found some cheap ECC ram 16GB (4 X 4GB), 28 euro (I'm from the Netherlands).

I would like a reply if you know anything.

There's no information on the motherboard page, as is normal, and not too much around but I did find this forum post where somebody tried some ECC memory in this board to no avail: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/x58-ecc-ram.2483375/

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

I have been looking around and found some other motherboard and looked for other ram, I found some cheap 8GB consumer kits and as I read I have also been looking for unbufferd memory but was as expensive as consumer so I think that going to be my choice there.

thank you for helping me with this.

I have also found a what I think is a better motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R don't know the price yet but the MSI pro-e was 65 euro what's really cheap for an X58 board 

On 5/23/2017 at 6:55 AM, ILikeBigTree said:

hi,

I'm planning on building a new budget Gaming PC with R9 290's in crossfire and an X5650, MSI x58 pro-e but I'm running out of budget and as we al know RAM prices are high so I started thinking that I could use some cheap ECC memory with my Xeon. so I want to know has anyone tried ECC memory on the MSI X58 pro-e because I know the Xeon will support it. I have seen somethings like: yea it supports it cuz the memory controller is in the CPU. but I also have seen that someone with a Xeon that tried ECC but didn't work.

I have found some cheap ECC ram 16GB (4 X 4GB), 28 euro (I'm from the Netherlands).

I would like a reply if you know anything.

I would offer to sell you my old 12GB kit of DDR3 memory from my X58 setup but your in europe so yea.... 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

that's a nice offer but yea the distance, I sometimes wish I live in America or Canada cuz the prices here for new hardware are insane like al the parts are $50 more expensive for the most part there are even shops that sell a GTX 1080 for € 1.136,19 with free shipping I have seen them going for 100000 but only once it's overpriced AF same as memory (but that's everywhere) I got my old 8GB kit for 30 and now the same kit costs 70 and used server stuff is really cheap