IPS vs AH-IPS

REULINI

Hey guys. I'm looking for a ips monitor to use it to play ps4 and watch some movies/tv shows and I found this Asus VX229H, but it has a ah-ips. From what I found online:  Advanced High Performance IPS (AH-IPS) - 2011 Improved colour accuracy, increased resolution and PPI, and greater light transmission for lower power consumption. It also shows low responsive time (5ms), but I don't care about it since I already own a benq.
Do you even notice a difference between ips and ah-ips? I can get that Asus model for 180 euros (243 dolars). Do you think its a good deal?

Also I've looked into the 27'' model but it says it's 1080p. Isn't that weird for a 27'' ? I know nothing about monitors, its just that I thought most 27'' supported bigger resolutions.

thanks in advance

Hey guys. I'm looking for a ips monitor to use it to play ps4 and watch some movies/tv shows and I found this Asus VX229H, but it has a ah-ips. From what I found online:  Advanced High Performance IPS (AH-IPS) - 2011 Improved colour accuracy, increased resolution and PPI, and greater light transmission for lower power consumption. It also shows low responsive time (5ms), but I don't care about it since I already own a benq.

Do you even notice a difference between ips and ah-ips? I can get that Asus model for 180 euros (243 dolars). Do you think its a good deal?

Also I've looked into the 27'' model but it says it's 1080p. Isn't that weird for a 27'' ? I know nothing about monitors, its just that I thought most 27'' supported bigger resolutions.

thanks in advance

no need for higher resolutions when youre using a PS4....

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

The difference is noticeable, but slight. 

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

what about the specifications? worth the price?

edit: if you guys know any other brand/model that's good, please say so ^^

AH-IPS is a sub type of IPS family. In reality there is no "IPS" panel by itself, it's always one of the following variation:

-> AH-IPS, H-IPS, P-IPS, S-IPS, eIPS (economic IPS), E-IPS (Enhanced IPS), AS-IPS, IPS-Pro or PLS (Samsung version of IPS).

They are all pretty much the same at the end of teh day. Any advantages point they mark, are always on the highest end (read: Professional grade monitor) models. At the consumer level, even high-end ones, there isn't much difference. It might be 5-10% better at something, but also 5-10% worst at something else.

That is why, people regroup them as just IPS, as the differences isn't noticeable, unless you seek something very specific. That is why also, Samsung tried to name their IPS panels to PLS, as an attempt to difference itself, as a new panel technology, but in reality, it's just IPS, and has nothing really special, as, like I mentioned, what ever percentage its good at doing, it's about the same percentage worst at doing something else. The differences is just to avoid patent disputes, mostly.

The big difference is that eIPS are always 6-bit panels, while the rest CAN BE 6-bit panels as well, but can also be 8-bit, and some types can be true 10-bit panels and even higher. So, doesn't mean that a panel is AH-IPS panel, that is necessary is an 8-bit panel, it can be a 6-bit panel.

no need for higher resolutions when youre using a PS4....

The PlayStation 4's interface is rendered natively at 4K resolution. It will support 4K video content at some point in the future.

If you want it, you can get it, it will work. Naturally the games themselves will only be 1080p at the highest.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

• 2 years later...

These below were all developed by Hitachi

Super TFT (IPS) - 1996 Wide viewing angle 100/100 Base level Most panels also support true 8-bit per channel color. These improvements came at the cost of a slower response time, initially about 50 ms. IPS panels were also extremely expensive.

Super-IPS (S-IPS) - 1998 has all the benefits of IPS technology with the addition of improved pixel refresh timing.

Advanced Super-IPS (AS-IPS) - 2002 Improves substantially on the contrast ratio of traditional S-IPS panels to the point where they are second only to some S-PVAs.

IPS-Provectus (IPS-Pro) - 2004 The latest panel from IPS Alpha Technology with a wider color gamut and contrast ratio matching PVA and ASV displays without off-angle glowing.

IPS alpha (IPS-Pro) - 2008 High contrast ratio Next generation of IPS-Pro

IPS alpha next gen (IPS-Pro) - 2010 High contrast ratio Technology transfer from Hitachi to Panasonic

These below were all developed by LG

Horizontal IPS (H-IPS) - 2007 Improves contrast ratio by twisting electrode plane layout. Also introduces an optional Advanced True White polarizing film from NEC, to make white look more natural. This is used in professional/photography LCDs.

Enhanced IPS (E-IPS) - 2009 Wider aperture for light transmission, enabling the use of lower-power, cheaper backlights. Improves diagonal viewing angle and further reduce response time to 5ms.

Professional IPS (P-IPS) - 2010 Offer 1.07 billion colours. More possible orientations per sub-pixel (1024 as opposed to 256) and produces a better true colour depth.

Advanced High Performance IPS (AH-IPS) - 2011 Improved colour accuracy, increased resolution and PPI, and greater light transmission for lower power consumption

Hey @ambra0, welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the informative post, but this thread is from 2013.

Please don't necro old threads.

I am sure that the OP has his new monitor now. So, so I am going to close the thread.

Please look at the thread date, or last post date before posting.

Cheers!