1080Ti power limit

spartan_chaz

Hey guys! So just picked up a 1080ti founders edition. I also took the EVGA hybrid kit from my previous 1080 and slapped the cooler on it. 

I open up oc pc precision software and start playing WoW, and on the monitor it keeps hitting the power limit. I have adjusted the power bar to 120% and it still hits it. Also, while playing WoW my temps stay steady at 57c

is this to be expected or is there something I'm doing wrong?

8 minutes ago, lonely_sata_cable said:

I believe the 1050ti is limited to 75 watts

and i right to assume you meant 1080ti?

If so, i was wanting to overclock it a bit...wont this hinder my overclock?

9 minutes ago, lonely_sata_cable said:

I believe the 1050ti is limited to 75 watts

Of course he grabbed a 1080ti silly goose.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

19 minutes ago, spartan_chaz said:

Hey guys! So just picked up a 1080ti founders edition. I also took the EVGA hybrid kit from my previous 1080 and slapped the cooler on it. 

I open up oc pc precision software and start playing WoW, and on the monitor it keeps hitting the power limit. I have adjusted the power bar to 120% and it still hits it. Also, while playing WoW my temps stay steady at 57c

is this to be expected or is there something I'm doing wrong?

I think the power draw on the ti is set at 125% standard, except for on the AORUS where it is 150% out of the box. Lol, did you underclock the Vdraw?

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

I think the power draw on the ti is set at 125% standard, except for on the AORUS where it is 150% out of the box. Lol, did you underclock the Vdraw?

i have literally done nothing other than move the power target to 120% and the temp target to 90C. Other than that i installed the cooler. put it in my rig and started playing games. If it makes a difference i do have my 1440p 144hz monitor supersampled up to 4k at 60hz

Just now, spartan_chaz said:

i have literally done nothing other than move the power target to 120% and the temp target to 90C. Other than that i installed the cooler. put it in my rig and started playing games. If it makes a difference i do have my 1440p 144hz monitor supersampled up to 4k at 60hz

Try upping the vdraw (power target) to 125%. I believe you under-powered your card by mistake.

4 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Try upping the vdraw (power target) to 125%. I believe you under-powered your card by mistake.

how exactly do i do that?

9 minutes ago, crzyces said:

the slider will only allow me to go up to 120%

I think I read review about hitting Power Limit on their 1080 Ti, forgot which review it was... 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

12 hours ago, spartan_chaz said:

the slider will only allow me to go up to 120%

11 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I think I read review about hitting Power Limit on their 1080 Ti, forgot which review it was... 

I'm going to game for awhile before I nap for a few hours, then get the midget ready for school, then maybe get some work done for a few hours, drop off a PC, then come back and bug everyone again later.

If you have time, and really want to set your FE ti blazing, read this https://xdevs.com/guide/pascal_m_oc/

It's simple, but very in depth. I suggest reading "Uncorking your ti" first, not just skipping to part II which is removing power constraints. You've already got good cooling, so that is a plus. Anyway, good luck. I'll read it thoroughly tomorrow, but I doubt I'll be able to get the company I contract with to let me try this with one of their cards they pay $673 usd for (yeah, that's what the company pays! Terrible profit margin), if they even have any in stock.

6 hours ago, crzyces said:

I'm going to game for awhile before I nap for a few hours, then get the midget ready for school, then maybe get some work done for a few hours, drop off a PC, then come back and bug everyone again again later.

If you have time, and really want to set your FE ti blazing, read this https://xdevs.com/guide/pascal_m_oc/

It's simple, but very in depth. I suggest reading "Uncorking your ti" first, not just skipping to part II which is removing power constraints. You've already got good cooling, so that is a plus. Anyway, good luck. I'll read it thoroughly tomorrow, but I doubt I'll be able to get the company I contract with to let me try this with one of their cards they pay $673 usd for (yeah, that's what the company pays! Terrible profit margin), if they even have any in stock.

So...basically if i want to overclock my card more then i have to go about soldering stuff onto the board to do so?

4 hours ago, spartan_chaz said:

So...basically if i want to overclock my card more then i have to go about soldering stuff onto the board to do so?

After really reading it, looking at a bunch of pics of the board since I don't have one to take apart (Heh, and I'm not using 3/4 of my mortgage money on a test card. I don't know why Compnet wouldn't let me try as they can just RMA it. Not like they would notice extra solder on the board or anything ;^) . Anyway, it seems like I'm wrong about a bunch of things. 1. The Rog Strix must have altered the board to get the 125% draw, and Gigabyte must have as well. I can't find any software to unlock it past 120%. Afterburner was hitting some good clocks with water cooling at 120% (Usually only drawing 112%-119%) with the boost clock going over 2100. Of course Tech City (With an AORUS) did that on air, so...

What clock speeds are you getting now stable? You can always try Afterburner and see if that helps with the clocks. I'm not advising anyone who has never done it to start their soldering career on a $700+ card (Start on a $20 550 ti and try to turn it into a 660). Like I said, I would not do it unless a company asked me too. I knew work would say no, but had they said yes I would have just tried unlocking it via software.

If you aren't getting over 1950 boost, and your temps are good, keep trying new software. Sorry man, I just can't say "No biggie, just add some resistors on top of the capacitors, then trace the 2 lines to the d and q, then grab a KO trimmer, take out 2 resistors and replace them with the 5 KO multiturn V resistor..." Software it is, unless you are confident (I'm pretty darn sure if followed step by step it would work well, even for a newb like me, but that 5% chance I'd mess up somewhere, and it would probably be a metal on metal short, is too risky for my taste.

Maybe for a summer project I'll buy a lot of 20 junk cards and practice on them, as that does seem like a pretty handy skill.

Again, good luck, and see if you can get afterburner to work with your card. I'll ask around to see if any pro/high tech level oc'ers modders know of any other way besides physical mods to bypass the hardware lock.

12 hours ago, crzyces said:

I'm going to game for awhile before I nap for a few hours, then get the midget ready for school, then maybe get some work done for a few hours, drop off a PC, then come back and bug everyone again later.

That's an extreme OC guide. For LN2 or other methods. Complexly unnecessary for air or water. 

See the intro:

This is not another GTX 1080 Ti review, but a extreme overclocking modding guide. There is no much benefit doing all this for watercooling or aircooling, but required when GPU is frozen to chilly -196°C. Fair bit extra voltage might help reaching higher performance marvels.

All OP needs is the shunt mod: http://www.overclock.net/t/1608437/tutorial-power-target-limit-hardware-mod-shunt-mod-for-titan-x-and-many-other-nvidia-gpus

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, crzyces said:

After really reading it, looking at a bunch of pics of the board since I don't have one to take apart (Heh, and I'm not using 3/4 of my mortgage money on a test card. I don't know why Compnet wouldn't let me try as they can just RMA it. Not like they would notice extra solder on the board or anything ;^) . Anyway, it seems like I'm wrong about a bunch of things. 1. The Rog Strix must have altered the board to get the 125% draw, and Gigabyte must have as well. I can't find any software to unlock it past 120%. Afterburner was hitting some good clocks with water cooling at 120% (Usually only drawing 112%-119%) with the boost clock going over 2100. Of course Tech City (With an AORUS) did that on air, so...

What clock speeds are you getting now stable? You can always try Afterburner and see if that helps with the clocks. I'm not advising anyone who has never done it to start their soldering career on a $700+ card (Start on a $20 550 ti and try to turn it into a 660). Like I said, I would not do it unless a company asked me too. I knew work would say no, but had they said yes I would have just tried unlocking it via software.

If you aren't getting over 1950 boost, and your temps are good, keep trying new software. Sorry man, I just can't say "No biggie, just add some resistors on top of the capacitors, then trace the 2 lines to the d and q, then grab a KO trimmer, take out 2 resistors and replace them with the 5 KO multiturn V resistor..." Software it is, unless you are confident (I'm pretty darn sure if followed step by step it would work well, even for a newb like me, but that 5% chance I'd mess up somewhere, and it would probably be a metal on metal short, is too risky for my taste.

Maybe for a summer project I'll buy a lot of 20 junk cards and practice on them, as that does seem like a pretty handy skill.

Again, good luck, and see if you can get afterburner to work with your card. I'll ask around to see if any pro/high tech level oc'ers modders know of any other way besides physical mods to bypass the hardware lock.

I downloaded MSI afterburner and opened up and played both WoW and Fallout 4. the power limit has not spiked on that so far...i bumpped the core clock up 100MHz and same thing. peak clock i saw was 1961 so far