my HDD wont show up in windows explorer

jimpa1812

I recently bought an SSD. I took out my first HDD that had my OS on and put in my SSD leaving my second hard drive in (which had games and pictures on). I installed windows on my SSD and it was great but when I went to open windows explorer the HDD didn't show up, only my SSD. another problem is that my computer doesn't boot if I take the HDD out and leave just the SSD in. I'm not that retarded that I installed the OS on the HDD (i hope).

Turn your computer off, turn it on and spam f10 or delete or esc to get to your bios... what options do you have that are "boot drives"?

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Turn your computer off, turn it on and spam f10 or delete or esc to get to your bios... what options do you have that are "boot drives"?

I've been into the bios and in boot priority and there is one generic SD thing, two UEFI things for Realtek and my DVD reader. when I go into boot drives the HDD shows up and it also shows up when I go onto disk management.

Just now, jimpa1812 said:

I've been into the bios and in boot priority and there is one generic SD thing, two UEFI things for Realtek and my DVD reader. when I go into boot drives the HDD shows up and it also shows up when I go onto disk management.

In disk management, does it say xxx,xx GB (Primary partition)?

I would unplug everything but your new SSD and re-install windows. It's weird that you can't boot with your HDD unplugged.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

I would unplug everything but your new SSD and re-install windows. It's weird that you can't boot with your HDD unplugged.

yeah I was hoping not to do that but if I have to then i will

So , does it appear in the disk management utility ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

So , does it appear in the disk management utility ?

yeah

yeah

as active or disabled?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

as active or disabled?

as active

as active

can you screencap the utility?

Not to question your intelligence, but is it connected properly? Try turning the system on without the side panels on just in case a drive cable is being bent or shorted out on something pointy....

1 hour ago, NotTayyeb said:

Not to question your intelligence, but is it connected properly? Try turning the system on without the side panels on just in case a drive cable is being bent or shorted out on something pointy....

yeah i tried that but it still doesn't show up.

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

can you screencap the utility?

hey, can i reinstall windows without loosing my applications

1 hour ago, jimpa1812 said:

Picture1.png

Can't you just assign a drive letter to that partition? 

Does you mum know you're here?

4 hours ago, NinJake said:

That's likely because the boot record is on the hard drive and not the SSD which is why the OS can't be booted with the hard drive disconnected as it can't figure out what it has to use to find the OS.