New build not posting - 7700k, Asus z270f, Trident Z Ram

Hi guys, really need some help here....

I am building a new rig. Components are: 

i7 7700k 

Asus z270f Strix motherboard 

16GB 3000mhz Trident Z RGB Ram 

Corsair RM750x PSU 

Current issue:

I've hooked everything up. Currently sitting on mobo box, testing everything before installing into case. Jumped on switch pins on the motherboard and nothing.

RGB lights on mobo working. Power light on mobo working. So I know it is getting power. But it will not boot. 

Then, several minutes later the ram will light up and the cpu fan will start up and it looks like it's powering up, but there is no video output. The other thing that's making me think it isn't booting properly is that there are leds on the motherboard that are meant to light up through the boot process to represent error codes etc but they do nothing. 

The sticker above the ram ends in 505. Is that the bios revision? After some googling there was an old unresolved forum post that said try updating the bios because 505 doesn't support the 7700k - which blew my mind if that's true. 

Any ideas are welcome. My tech knowledge is fairly average so I'll try to answer any questions you guys have 

I've tried HDMI and Display Port outputs - nothing from either 

I've also tried resetting the RAM, using just 1 Dimm, and switching which slots they're plugged into and nothing changed. 

Finally, triple checked that all cables were plugged in properly 

It's not terribly surprising.  If the board isn't a recent run and the newer BIOS isn't flashed on it, it may not support 7th gen chips.  You might need to take it to a shop and get them to flash it with a test CPU, or borrow a compatible CPU in order to flash the BIOS.

Edit: or if @jj9987 is saying is true, then you might have something else going on.

There is no BIOS version 505 for that board. It starts from 0604 and that already supports 7700k because Z270 is meant for Kaby Lake.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

The first BIOS version which supported any CPU according to the CPU compatibility list is 0604. It would be insane to ship motherboards with useless pre-release BIOS revisions, but that is Asus for you.

I would recommend returning the motherboard back to the store, and get them to either flash a working BIOS for you, or give you a working board.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

The first BIOS version which supported any CPU according to the CPU compatibility list is 0604. It would be insane to ship motherboards with useless pre-release BIOS revisions, but that is Asus for you.

I would recommend returning the motherboard back to the store, and get them to either flash a working BIOS for you, or give you a working board.

Their CPU list shows 7th gen chips validated on BIOS 604...so I'd hope that would be correct then.

Any beep codes?  If even the diagnostic LEDs aren't working then either your board isn't getting through any of the POST or the motherboard's DOA.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Their CPU list shows 7th gen chips validated on BIOS 604...so I'd hope that would be correct then.

6th gen chips were validated on 0604 as well (although just because they weren't validated, doesn't mean they wouldn't work, some processor needs to work to test the board before release after-all).

Where on earth is the Asus USB flashback feature when you need it?

Supposedly there's supposed to be a USB flash available, but I'm not sure it'd work without the CPU registering.  ASUS's documentation seems to be hit or miss for troubleshooting.

There aren't any overclocks, custom voltages, etc. in play here, right?

Have you checked for bent/missing pins on the board in the CPU socket?

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Supposedly there's supposed to be a USB flash available, but I'm not sure it'd work without the CPU registering.  ASUS's documentation seems to be hit or miss for troubleshooting.

Asus USB flashback is supposed to work without even having a CPU in the socket.

I have used it before on an old X79 and X99 board.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

Asus USB flashback is supposed to work without even having a CPU in the socket.

I have used it before on an old X79 and X99 board.

Oooh...that's nice...but if what has been stated so far is true, then the CPU he has should be supported by the earliest BIOS version available.  Wouldn't hurt to try flashing it to a newer version though.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Oooh...that's nice...but if what has been stated so far is true, then the CPU he has should be supported by the earliest BIOS version available.  Wouldn't hurt to try flashing it to a newer version though.

I cannot see anywhere in the manual that this board has that feature, and it doesn't have the button on pictures of the IO. This is the first ROG board that I have seen that doesn't.

Where the hell is it Asus?! WTF!

4 hours ago, jj9987 said:

There is no BIOS version 505 for that board. It starts from 0604 and that already supports 7700k because Z270 is meant for Kaby Lake.

Cheers for the reply. 

I've been told that the sticker on the RAM states the bios version in the last 4 digits. Mine states 0505. 

There is a thread online where many people were stuck with this bios version on the prime  z270-a. 

The Asus website only states that the 7700k (and many other kaby lake chips, and many skylake chips like the 6600k) is only compatible with 0604. 

So I don't understand why mine says that it is on ver 0505 if a) it doesn't exist and b) the kaby lake chips z270 is built for aren't supported out of the box. 

So confused 

4 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

If I do that I will have to wait until Tuesday to even talk to them - they're closed for the Easter weekend :(

Bad timing haha

4 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Any beep codes?  If even the diagnostic LEDs aren't working then either your board isn't getting through any of the POST or the motherboard's DOA.

Nope, no beeps 

No overclock or anything - this is the first time in booting these parts. They're all brand new 

Haven't checked for bend pins yet but I will in a minute 

4 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

I cannot see anywhere in the manual that this board has that feature, and it doesn't have the button on pictures of the IO. This is the first ROG board that I have seen that doesn't.

Where the hell is it Asus?! WTF!

Ironically, I'm upgrading from an x79 board that DOES have the feature 

I'm also missing the on board power button from my old motherboard - jumping the pins feels janky in comparison. I wouldn't have thought that a power button would be considered 'premium' haha

Pins look good to me - image attached 

14923589835091700923384.jpg

4 hours ago, jj9987 said:

Here's the sticker that has the 0505 printed on it. Again, this is what I have been told how we are meant to know which bios is on the board :/

Happy to be wrong if it isn't 

1492359157466454585804.jpg

Update 

Tested every component using a friend's computer 

PSU is fine 

RAM is fine 

Put his ram and cpu (6600k) into my motherboard with my PSU and then his PSU - didn't turn on 

Put my cpu into his motherboard - didn't turn on - but then I realised that he has a z170 mobo and we didn't update the bios prior to trying the cpu so it's still up in the air whether the cpu is bad or not 

Taking back to shop tomorrow 

On 16/04/2017 at 0:37 PM, DrMikeNZ said:

The website must be out of date or something. 

Bios version 0505 confirmed 

I know that this thread is dead now, but I just wanted to round it up by saying that it was motherboard failure that was causing the issue 

The Cpu is recognised fine in the UEFI, though the bios is version 0505, and not 0604 like the Asus website states is the earliest version.