Windows 10 Black Screen after login problem

Hi guys .

I ran into a problem. When I booted my windows 10 laptop it reached login screen normally. After the welcome screen there is only a black screen with movable cursor.

I have also contacted microsoft forums.

link:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/black-screen-with-cursor-after-login/e2063bb0-fe7b-4d14-90b1-9538ca9af4fa?rtAction=1491030062141

here are the things i have done but to no success

-Fast startup is not a feature of my laptop.

-high contrast disabled 

-ctrl alt delete button oppens the window in which we have to choose task manager but after clicking on task manager it just returns to the black screen.

-i have tried projecting on another display changing settings (using windows key+p)

no success

-I HAVE ALSO TRIED RESETING MY LAPTOP BUT STILL THE PROBLEM PERSISTS

-automatic startup repair doesnt work

-have tried unplugging all things and battery and stuff .

-entering safe mode unisntalling display adapters 1 by 1 and together.

-I have alao tried system restore and installation media to repair

If any of you have encountered same or similar problem and have solved it using a different method from the above ones plz do let me know.

you're able to go into safe mode? i think that narrows it down to a windows glitch. you could try creating a new user account or enabling the administrator account and logging in with those ?

Press ctrl and type in your password and press enter....

I have run into a similar issue on my desktop. I have a black screen after login. I can get into safe mode, uninstall the graphics driver (Nvidia 980 ti), then I will be able to log back in not in safe mode. However, if I restart the computer, even without installing the driver, it starts giving me a black screen on login again.

This started after my computer installed the Windows 10 updates from around 3/20.

Edit: Windows automatically installs a driver for my video card, that's why I can't log in subsequent times after uninstalling in safe mode.

Edited by Gakio

1 minute ago, Gakio said:

I have run into a similar issue on my desktop. I have a black screen after login. I can get into safe mode, uninstall the graphics driver (Nvidia 980 ti), then I will be able to log back in not in safe mode. However, if I restart the computer, even without installing the driver, it starts giving me a black screen on login again.

This started after my computer installed the Windows 10 updates from around 3/20.

thats cuz after you uninstall it and reboot, the driver is not there. but as soon as you get back into windows in normal mode, it automatically re-installs the driver without asking so the problem is back.

which reminds me of an issue i had with a laptop before, laptop's display driver did not work with it's own and an external display, unless i disabled the driver. if enabled and i have it connected to an external display, ill have to wait for a while to know its at the login screen, then close the lid to make it go to sleep, then wake it up, only then does the display pop up on the external monitor. 

On 4/1/2017 at 3:29 PM, CreedsHold said:

Hi guys .

I ran into a problem. When I booted my windows 10 laptop it reached login screen normally. After the welcome screen there is only a black screen with movable cursor.

I have also contacted microsoft forums.

link:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/black-screen-with-cursor-after-login/e2063bb0-fe7b-4d14-90b1-9538ca9af4fa?rtAction=1491030062141

here are the things i have done but to no success

-Fast startup is not a feature of my laptop.

-high contrast disabled 

-ctrl alt delete button oppens the window in which we have to choose task manager but after clicking on task manager it just returns to the black screen.

-i have tried projecting on another display changing settings (using windows key+p)

no success

-I HAVE ALSO TRIED RESETING MY LAPTOP BUT STILL THE PROBLEM PERSISTS

-automatic startup repair doesnt work

-have tried unplugging all things and battery and stuff .

-entering safe mode unisntalling display adapters 1 by 1 and together.

-I have alao tried system restore and installation media to repair

If any of you have encountered same or similar problem and have solved it using a different method from the above ones plz do let me know.

try disabling the display driver in safe mode and rebooting. it Should work.

Well I disabled Windows from automatically installing the driver, I tried the latest driver from Nvidia and I have the same issue. I guess I can go without the driver installed, but I can't use my 4k monitor or play any games.