Choosing an ultrawide dilemma

Cliffe
Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,
5 hours ago, Cliffe said:

That you for your post. I have a gtx 970 at the moment and will upgrade to either amd vega or the next lot of nvidia cards. You seem to have a titan yet are still on 1080p same as me. How come? You should easily be able to run ultra wide 1440? Are you looking to upgrade your monitor too but not sure what to buy as well? 

I am very picky about quality, I like playing my games fully max out graphically, like literally everything; and there are yet no single graphics card solution, even the Titan XP and GTX 1080ti that can do a terrific job at 4k or ultra wide 1440p.

From my experience and the way I see it the Titan XP and 1080ti are the "ultimate 2560x1440p cards" but not yet 4k cards, not counting sli obviously but I don't like dual GPU solution, also you can play cs:go ultra wide if you go bordeless window, it'll just not be all centered precisely but it'll be the full resolution alright, (people say it is unfair 21:9 because you see more, but people playing at 144hz over 60hz isn't unfair? e-sports should quit the hypocrisy and add full support already).

Therefore my odd pair happened because I actually prefer the 21:9 ratio a lot more than the old 16:9 thus why the 2560x1080p seemed more attractive to me than 2560x1440p, the ultra wide for me is simply smashing regardless the lack of support that you occasionally will run into, I also wanted ultra 75fps on every game I play, so my decision was, go Titan XP which retains its reselling price a lot better than other cards since it can be used on workstations as Quadro too and more rare/desired, get this LG 29 inch ultra wide which already is an amazing quality panel for cheap, and use until Volta hits the market, then I am selling the GPU, giving the monitor to my mom and buying the Titan X Volta and get something like the ROG Swift PG348Q or equivalent at the market.

I don't care about cars, I work at home, I do college for free, I don't like cloths, cellphones, I never go out etc... so the only thing I really spend my money on is this reason why I will give myself such pricey upgrade hehe

Hi guys

Thus is my first post on this forum. The reason I signed up is that I'm having trouble deciding on a new monitor I currently have a 24 inch 60htz 1080p monitor and think it's just to small. I went to the scan horwich store and got to try an ultra wide monitor the £1150 Asus one with gsync which is displayed next to the 27 inch rog swift I think it was and found the ultra wide looked amazing. 

Now the Asus goes to 100htz and when I put vysnc on just to see if I could notice 60htz going to 100htz I didn't see the difference. But 1440 resolution looked great so looking online I find the 34uc88 which would fit the color theme of my setup but the reviews all seem to say this is not a gaming monitor? 

Does the term gaming come mainly from what hurtz the monitor goes up to? the z35 has 1080 resolution and 144 hurtz but the resolution is to small for 1080p at that size of screen for me.so why is it more gamery than a 1440 at 60 htz.

I currently have a gtx 970 but don't feel it matters if I get g sync or freesync as a new gpu will get bought next year anyway.

My desk is 60cm deep. Does any one here have a 34 inch ultra wide on that size of desk. I have a friend who has the x34 on same size of desk but the stand is insanely big and has the point at the front all the way on to his mouse mat which would drive me crazy. Which is another reason why I was looking at the LG 34uc88.

The prices that these ultra wide are on make this a massive decision for me as I feel a monitor should last many many years and want to buy the right one going forward. 

Another note is that my desk is glass and I can't put a monitor arm on it to put the monitor  any further back than what the stand it comes with allows.

Thank you for reading. I know most of this is general thought's and waffle.

20170305_114217.jpg

My personal opinion is that 1440x3440 curved at high Hz is the best for work and AAA games. 1440 or 1080 high speed tn is still better for csgo

I do play a lot of csgo. But I play a lot of games. I understand csgo stretches the picture rather than being true ultra wide gaming but total Warhammer and vermin ide and battlefield 1 would look amazing I think. My computer is solely for playing games on.

1 minute ago, Cliffe said:

I do play a lot of csgo. But I play a lot of games. I understand csgo stretches the picture rather than being true ultra wide gaming but total Warhammer and vermin ide and battlefield 1 would look amazing I think. My computer is solely for playing games on.

Get curved ultra wide IPS for better picture quality

Thank you. What monitor do you use and why?

I really like ultra-wide... the only only issue I have with it is Valve support for it on cs:go is meh yet... only gets the 21:9 ratio right if you play borderless window, it still look great and like all say there is more feeling of difference from 60hz to 75~100hz than 100hz to 144hz so to the great majority of games simply going higher than 60hz is enough.

IPs panels are awesome I will Never go back to TN ones, the image quality and sharpness is much higher, any ways ignore people/review saying a monitor is not for gaming, that is the exact dilemma from a Quadro card, people want to sound smart and go absolute on their affirmation that you can't while you totally do... it might just not be the best experience/deal possible.

Any ways, ultrawide got a lot of support increase this past year, it'll soon feel as normal as 16:9, just keep in mind that ultrawide 1440p is as taxing as 4k you'll need a beefy graphics card to enjoy the most of it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

18 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I really like ultra-wide... the only only issue I have with it is Valve support for it on cs:go is meh yet... only gets the 21:9 ratio right if you play borderless window, it still look great and like all say there is more feeling of difference from 60hz to 75~100hz than 100hz to 144hz so to the great majority of games simply going higher than 60hz is enough.

IPs panels are awesome I will Never go back to TN ones, the image quality and sharpness is much higher, any ways ignore people/review saying a monitor is not for gaming, that is the exact dilemma from a Quadro card, people want to sound smart and go absolute on their affirmation that you can't while you totally do... it might just not be the best experience/deal possible.

Any ways, ultrawide got a lot of support increase this past year, it'll soon feel as normal as 16:9, just keep in mind that ultrawide 1440p is as taxing as 4k you'll need a beefy graphics card to enjoy the most of it.

That you for your post. I have a gtx 970 at the moment and will upgrade to either amd vega or the next lot of nvidia cards. You seem to have a titan yet are still on 1080p same as me. How come? You should easily be able to run ultra wide 1440? Are you looking to upgrade your monitor too but not sure what to buy as well? 

5 hours ago, Cliffe said:

I am very picky about quality, I like playing my games fully max out graphically, like literally everything; and there are yet no single graphics card solution, even the Titan XP and GTX 1080ti that can do a terrific job at 4k or ultra wide 1440p.

From my experience and the way I see it the Titan XP and 1080ti are the "ultimate 2560x1440p cards" but not yet 4k cards, not counting sli obviously but I don't like dual GPU solution, also you can play cs:go ultra wide if you go bordeless window, it'll just not be all centered precisely but it'll be the full resolution alright, (people say it is unfair 21:9 because you see more, but people playing at 144hz over 60hz isn't unfair? e-sports should quit the hypocrisy and add full support already).

Therefore my odd pair happened because I actually prefer the 21:9 ratio a lot more than the old 16:9 thus why the 2560x1080p seemed more attractive to me than 2560x1440p, the ultra wide for me is simply smashing regardless the lack of support that you occasionally will run into, I also wanted ultra 75fps on every game I play, so my decision was, go Titan XP which retains its reselling price a lot better than other cards since it can be used on workstations as Quadro too and more rare/desired, get this LG 29 inch ultra wide which already is an amazing quality panel for cheap, and use until Volta hits the market, then I am selling the GPU, giving the monitor to my mom and buying the Titan X Volta and get something like the ROG Swift PG348Q or equivalent at the market.

I don't care about cars, I work at home, I do college for free, I don't like cloths, cellphones, I never go out etc... so the only thing I really spend my money on is this reason why I will give myself such pricey upgrade hehe

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 0:57 PM, Princess Cadence said:

I agree that if you can afford it the route your taking is great.  Just seen that on scan the 34uc88 have 14ms response time which sounds very slow. 

I think I'll be looking st monitors till virtual reality is mainstream lol