Can i plug in a system fan into a pump header?

testudo_aubreii

Hello. My question is pretty much what the title states. I don't want to run an extension or even try to run across the board to the next available system fan header, so I am wondering if I can plug my regular system fan into a pump header.

Thank you in advance for your help!

The pump header is just there more or less if you run your fans off the motherboard and either use an AIO and want to keep an eye on the RPMs, or if you use a "normal" pump that for whatever reason runs off the header.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, tmcclelland455 said:

The pump header is just there more or less if you run your fans off the motherboard and either use an AIO and want to keep an eye on the RPMs, or if you use a "normal" pump that for whatever reason runs off the header.

Thank you. Will it just run at full speed all of the time?

It can most likely be changed/controled, if it has moar then 2 wires going to it.

A CPU pump header is just a fancy word for CPU Fan header always getting the maximum 12 volts. If you have 4 pins on the connector it is PWM anyway and your motherboard will simply recognize it, if it's 3 pin, just set the BIOS setting on the header to output less voltage as that is the way fan speed is controlled.

5 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

A CPU pump header is just a fancy word for CPU Fan header always getting the maximum 12 volts. If you have 4 pins on the connector it is PWM anyway and your motherboard will simply recognize it, if it's 3 pin, just set the BIOS setting on the header to output less voltage as that is the way fan speed is controlled.

Thank you. 

Do you have a suggestion as to what I should set it at?

Typically the BIOS would let you set fan speed percentages or let you control the fan speed through an in-OS software that manages fan speeds.

Is it a 4pin or 3pin? What mobo do you have?

17 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

Typically the BIOS would let you set fan speed percentages or let you control the fan speed through an in-OS software that manages fan speeds.

Is it a 4pin or 3pin? What mobo do you have?

It is 3 pin and it is an MSI B250 PCMate.

Set the pump header to Smart Fan Mode handle it with a standard curve. The mobo reads internal temperatures and adjusts the header voltage accordingly.

23 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

Set the pump header to Smart Fan Mode handle it with a standard curve. The mobo reads internal temperatures and adjusts the header voltage accordingly.

Will do! Thank you very much for your time and help.

1 hour ago, testudo_aubreii said:

Thank you. Will it just run at full speed all of the time?

So long as the motherboard isn't a shitbox, no. I can control any fan I want on my motherboard so long as it's at least a 3 pin (no 2-pin fans, but literally nobody uses those for case fans).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)