ModelSim Altera Starter Edition - Linux mint 18.1

Untitled.png

System info above.

I have the following problem. I am studying digital circuits atm at university and we are using this piece of  software to simulate Verilog designs and see waveforms

. We're also using Quartus II to program a Cyclone II C20F484C7(or sth like that) FPGA. That works fine on linux, but because I have no board at home, it's quite useless for me.

Problem is, I can't get ModelSim to work separately, and for the love of God I cannot make it work. I've tried installing 32bit libraries as it is required to run ModelSim. I checked at school, with paths and whatnot, launchers.I created a launcher with vsim running in terminal, but all it does is briefly flashing a terminal window and then nothing. I have asked my teacher but apparently she is not that accustomed to working on Linux(although the computers we use at school do run Mint 17.3), nor did she point me to someone that does.

I have searched for guides, nothing seems to work, so I resort to you guys. Any idea is welcome.

P.S. I know I could run it on windows, quite easily, but I have separated my tasks, now finding myself using Linux for a greater part of my time. I have Windows 10 running on a separate SSD, but I feel kinda lazy to switch between OSs for just one program. All other school programs I use are  working in linux, so I decided to make it work environment, while keeping windows only for gaming.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Provided you can pass through any necessary adapters you could install windows on a virtual machine. Did you consider that?

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Provided you can pass through any necessary adapters you could install windows on a virtual machine. Did you consider that?

That is exactly the opposite of what I want to do. I have Windows 10 installed side by side. I have a dual boot system. The theory is that I separate WIndows for games and media from Linux for work, and that I keep all my work files on a single drive.

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Not really that useless. You can use Quartus and ModelSim together to debug your stuff before sending to the FPGA itself.

Have you tried to add the modelsim/linuxaloem folder to the path variable or tried running programs with their full path? That should solve the problem.
Source: https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd10282009_351.html

I did that, it still does not run. Maybe I haven't made myself clear, it is entirely possible. 

I want to run ModelSim's GUI, not its tools per se.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I tried that, still no luck, and since it's waaaay too much hassle for just one program I will resort to using it on Windows for the time being. I needed it right now so yeah...I will  try with Ubuntu when I'll have some spare time.

Spoiler