Need Help with Gpu...

noobtopc
Go to solution Solved by m0k,
9 minutes ago, LabRat said:

you talking about those brackets in the back that you have to remove to be able to install the card?

he means the motherboard chipset, the aluminum heasink

@noobtopc you should be fine.

if theres a PCIe slot that mean you can add anything in that slot, an OEM would not limit your upgradability with a simple oversight as a large heatsink

So im looking at a gtx 1060 mini but im scared it might not fit over the square silver thing with 2 arms on the side as you can see in the photo.. i think it has 1 cm of clearance but yeah idk can someone help.. i have a dell optiplex 790 mini tower. everything in it was pre built by dell. the card in it now is a radeon 5450 its pretty much 7inches long but from the the card to the square silver thing theres a half an inch of spcace  IMG_20170317_142736.jpg

you talking about those brackets in the back that you have to remove to be able to install the card?

alright so on the side of the gpu with the tiny fan theres a red and black wire. to the right of that wire 

9 minutes ago, LabRat said:

if theres a PCIe slot that mean you can add anything in that slot, an OEM would not limit your upgradability with a simple oversight as a large heatsink

Photography / Finance / Gaming

32 minutes ago, noobtopc said:

So im looking at a gtx 1060 mini but im scared it might not fit over the square silver thing with 2 arms on the side as you can see in the photo.. i think it has 1 cm of clearance but yeah idk can someone help.. i have a dell optiplex 790 mini tower. everything in it was pre built by dell. the card in it now is a radeon 5450 its pretty much 7inches long but from the the card to the square silver thing theres a half an inch of spcace  IMG_20170317_142736.jpg

Hey, so i did the same with the Evga 1060sc and while it worked it did rest on the heatsink so i couldnt properly screw it in place, now when thats said my brother bought a Msi 1050 double fan and that didnt touch it at all so i would look for one that has abit of space from the slot up to the cooler 

36 minutes ago, noobtopc said:

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB OC

MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Aero ITX OC

should fit

10 minutes ago, mok said:

iK7l95k.jpg

Try telling that to Dell who put the sata ports under the GPU causing me to have to buy special right and left angle cables to only be able to use two of my sata ports.  If I wanted to use all three I'd need to spend 10 bucks (or was it 15) on special side exit sata cables.
@noobtopc the pic I included is of a Dell Optiplex 790 desktop motherboard.  It appears you have a Dell Optiplex 790 tower.  If that's the case, the only change on my board vs yours is that the tower got 4 sata ports where the desktop got 3.  Therefore if you want to install a long 2 slot card like the one I have, take note of the need for different cables.

q8I3VPP.jpg

I installed it in a non Dell case.  Click the link in my signature if you want to see more pictures.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=silverstone low profile sata cable&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=60
Here's a link showing the side exit cables I was talking about in the event you're in that situation with the GPU and want to use more than 2 hard drives.  Otherwise get one right angle and one left angle sata cable if you only need two sata devices.   Also I'm pretty sure that only the blue sata port is sata 3 with the others being sata 2 speed ports.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

@Cracklingice totally fair point

good thing OP wanted to put a 1060 mini, it wont interfere with the sata ports

Photography / Finance / Gaming