i7 4790k CPU Cooler

whatishacks

Canadian Links Only PLEASE

IF I EVER OVERCLOCK THESE,  WILL ONLY DO A SLIGHT OVERCLOCK. 4.4 MAX.

Hi guys.  I got 2 rigs with i7 4790k's in them, both on z97 mobos

1 case is the haf 912

the other is the cooler master elite 430

Both of these systems run at 85% usage, stable.  Sometimes spikes to 100% occur, which gradually climb down to the high mid-high 80s within 5-10mins

What would be a good cooler for these?

Someone recommended in my previous thread (about overclocking) that this one

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/wqRFf7/deepcool-captain-240-ex-1530-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-captain-240-ex

would be good for the haf 912 case.

$~100 for each cooler would be a good budget... 

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

Eh, honestly for the HAF 912, I'd get a high end air cooler. Reasons include less noise and less points of failure.

Good options:

-Noctua NH-D15/S

-beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

-Phanteks PH-TC14PE

For the Elite 430, the beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is pretty much your only option seeing how the other two cannot fit.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Eh, honestly for the HAF 912, I'd get a high end air cooler. Reasons include less noise and less points of failure.

Good options:

-Noctua NH-D15/S

-beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

-Phanteks PH-TC14PE

For the Elite 430, the beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is pretty much your only option seeing how the other two cannot fit.

Hi, thank you for the answer

Good to know that the noctua d15 is one of your choices, while browsing pc partpicker +reading benchmarks that one was always recommended.

I'll order the 15 version as it comes with 2 fans.

What would be a step down for the elite 430 case? I will probably not overclock that system at all

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

4 minutes ago, whatishacks said:

What would be a step down for the elite 430 case? I will probably not overclock that system at all

If you're running the i7 4790K at stock, you wouldn't need anything beefy at all. I'd suggest the beQuiet! PURE ROCK. Small, quiet and relatively cheap.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

If you're running the i7 4790K at stock, you wouldn't need anything beefy at all. I'd suggest the beQuiet! PURE ROCK. Small, quiet and relatively cheap.

awesome, thank you so much :D very much appreciated 

Future Plans:

14 hours ago, whatishacks said:

Hi, thank you for the answer

Good to know that the noctua d15 is one of your choices, while browsing pc partpicker +reading benchmarks that one was always recommended.

I'll order the 15 version as it comes with 2 fans.

A PR Slim would be plenty for a stock 4790k: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008

As for oc'ing, the NH-U12S would be a bit cheaper than the NH-D15 and be plenty for 4.4ghz: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/wjmLrH/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s

Depending on how well your chip oc's, a Pure Rock: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/cwPzK8/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

or NH-C12P could also work: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/f6tCmG/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhc12pse14

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.