School Laptop

mpsparrow

I am looking into going into collage soon (being this fall). If I were to go into Computer Science I would need to get myself a more powerful laptop.

Requirements

• Windows 10 Pro
  • At least 4 hours of solid battery life
  • 4 core processor (i7 would be nice)
  • 16GB of ram minimum
  • an SSD (256GB or up would be nice) + a HDD if possible (if not I could always get an external one)
  • Some sort of GPU as AutoCAD and possibly game development will be happening on this laptop
  • At the minimum a 1080p screen that doesn't look like a potato
  • The lighter the better, although anything that isn't a brick will be fine
  • Hopefully keep the price under $1500 CAD, although the cheaper the better

Most of these requirements are listed under the course information. Don't shoot me down by saying I only need 8GB of ram, or Windows 10 Pro is dumb get Windows 10 Home.

I've got a Dell Inspiron 7000 series, I've got an i5 but there were offers for an i7 and it came with 16GB of RAM but I just bought another 8GB stick and stuck it in there. It has a spot for a hdd or ssd and then another spot for an m.2 card so you could go with a hard drive for big data storage and the m.2 for stuff you need to go fast. And it has a 4GB discrete GTX 960. I haven't run any performance tests but it works good for me and I haven't run into any issues with the games I play so far and it works good for school.  It cost me about $700 back during black friday. Here's one that might fit your needs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PZ0EHS/ref=twister_B016VLEM5K?th=1

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))