psp not reading umd

Lonewolf33651

I just picked up a psp 2001 for cheap. i got wrc fia world rally championship and put it in, i get a loud scratching noise and almost like some grinding. after about 3-4 minutes it will say unable to read umd. if you quickly open the door you can see the umd spinning and can very quickly see the red laser dissappear. Do i need to replace the umd drive in this psp?

yep replace the drive. or alternatively just run CFW. it's super easy especially on old versions of the OS

idk

17 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

yep replace the drive. or alternatively just run CFW. it's super easy especially on old versions of the OS

It's also illegal iirc. Fun times.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

It's also illegal iirc. Fun times.

Only if you download ROMs. Downloading and running a homebrew application on hardware you own shouldn't be against the law

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Only if you download ROMs. Downloading and running a homebrew application on hardware you own shouldn't be against the law

Ah ok. Cause the first thing came up to me was those damn iso files. Too bad I only had a 2gb memory stick and most of my game were on UMD

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Ah ok. Cause the first thing came up to me was those damn iso files. Too bad I only had a 2gb memory stick and most of my game were on UMD

CFW on the latest FW (6.60 or 6.61) is as easy as downloading 2 folders to your PSP and running an application sitting in the games folder. 

Then run the callback app to get you back to the custom firmware if you reboot. You can download ROMs and stuff them into a folder and bam they appear in games, but that's it. 

I'm really hyped as fuck at the moment because PSVita has been hacked and they're developing ways for Homebrew to access the graphics hardware. 

Meaning that the PowerVR GPU in the Vita can be used to fake a PowerVR GPU that's in the Dreamcast, and run DC games on the go.. 

idk