Noctua l9i for i7 7700

Go to solution Solved by pwn_intended,
3 minutes ago, Santhox said:

The case i was thiking about was the Node 202 so airflow will be good i guess?? My 2nd option is running with the Raven RVZ01 instead because it's abit taller i can run the Noctua NH-L9x65 instead of the l9i and maybe i can then run the fan at abit lower rpm for less noise and still get better temps? Do you think it's worth getting the slightly bigger case? or do you tihkn i'll be fine with the node? sorry if im asking alot of questions but im about to spend a lot of money and i kinda want to get it right.. :3

The node 202 essentially has 0 airflow. The only fans in that case are the cpu and gpu fans themselves. As in the case doesn't actually have any fans in it. You can add 2 case fans, but just on the GPU side, so your CPU would still be hot.

Chances are that it would run OK, but I would definitely expect a little bit of thermal throttling after gaming a while.

As far as case choice, get whatever suits your need. If you really want to build a tiny form factor PC (I assume that's why you chose the 202) then go for it, make it work and don't look back. If the actual size and physical appearance doesn't concern you that much, then just get whatever is cheapest, and building in a full size tower is generally much easier to do.

Is a tiny air cooler such as the Noctua-l9i enough to cool a i7 7700?

It's better than the stock cooler so yes.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

http://noctua.at/en/nh_l9i_tdp_guidelines

As long as you aren't overclocking (non-k chip so you're not) and your case has decent airflow, and youre not rendering video 24/7 on it, you should be good.

The case i was thiking about was the Node 202 so airflow will be good i guess?? My 2nd option is running with the Raven RVZ01 instead because it's abit taller i can run the 

Noctua NH-L9x65 instead of the l9i and maybe i can then run the fan at abit lower rpm for less noise and still get better temps? Do you think it's worth getting the slightly bigger case? or do you tihkn i'll be fine with the node? sorry if im asking alot of questions but im about to spend a lot of money and i kinda want to get it right.. :3

3 minutes ago, Santhox said:

The case i was thiking about was the Node 202 so airflow will be good i guess?? My 2nd option is running with the Raven RVZ01 instead because it's abit taller i can run the Noctua NH-L9x65 instead of the l9i and maybe i can then run the fan at abit lower rpm for less noise and still get better temps? Do you think it's worth getting the slightly bigger case? or do you tihkn i'll be fine with the node? sorry if im asking alot of questions but im about to spend a lot of money and i kinda want to get it right.. :3

The node 202 essentially has 0 airflow. The only fans in that case are the cpu and gpu fans themselves. As in the case doesn't actually have any fans in it. You can add 2 case fans, but just on the GPU side, so your CPU would still be hot.

Chances are that it would run OK, but I would definitely expect a little bit of thermal throttling after gaming a while.

As far as case choice, get whatever suits your need. If you really want to build a tiny form factor PC (I assume that's why you chose the 202) then go for it, make it work and don't look back. If the actual size and physical appearance doesn't concern you that much, then just get whatever is cheapest, and building in a full size tower is generally much easier to do.

When in doubt, re-format.

4 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Thx for the help, it's much apreciated! :)