This is gonna bother me for a while until I know a decent explanation or definitive lack of one

Misanthrope

So I was watching the Logan trailer and it occurs to me: Why would he age, at all?

I can understand why he grew up and stop growing, that's hard coded in our D.N.A. But aging works differently: Oxygenation usually affects the cells ability to regenerate and replicate so it kicks off the aging process, very slowly but surely.

However Logan should be immune to that because the man regenerates so fast and efficiently his super mutant body not only resisted the adamantium but being shot to the head....twice. His brain apparently can recover even from this kind of catastrophic injuries.

So I already had a huge problem with the massive fucking nonsense with

Spoiler

the plothole about the adamantium bullet, that's just not how cell regeneration works saying "this shot to the head would wipe your brain but this wouldn't because it's a SPECIAL kind of metal, we call it Plotconveniencium

But now he's visibly aging? It goes completely against how his power has been described and shown to work. Is there something I'm missing or just bullshit hand waving and supremely shitty writing?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Aging is as much a genetic thing as developing in the first place. Not too sure where you got the idea it wasn't.

As for the film, I'm not too familiar with the lore, but I smell retcon.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

It depends on what version of the arch you go with. But his regenerative abilities aren't absolute, and severing/severely damaging the Medulla Oblongata will kill Logan in most of them (every arch, complete decapitation is assured death to Wolverine and Sabertooth), as that is what actually controls his ability to regenerate.

However, in the current Marvel Cinema universe, his ability to regenerate is removed by a scientist who was once his friend. In the scientist's mind, he was doing Logan a favor and giving him the gift of death, removing the curse of immortality.

Also, the whole issue with the adamantium bullet ripping away Logan's memories deals with the fact that he was shot specifically in the temporal lobes to achieve that, and only the adamantium bullet at that caliber would penetrate his adamantium skull. Every other time he gets shot in the head, it doesn't hit those lobes or the Medulla Oblongata

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

40 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Aging is as much a genetic thing as developing in the first place.

Citation please.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It depends on what version of the arch you go with. But his regenerative abilities aren't absolute, and severing/severely damaging the Medulla Oblongata will kill Logan in most of them (every arch, complete decapitation is assured death to Wolverine and Sabertooth), as that is what actually controls his ability to regenerate.

However, in the current Marvel Cinema universe, his ability to regenerate is removed by a scientist who was once his friend. In the scientist's mind, he was doing Logan a favor and giving him the gift of death, removing the curse of immortality.

Also, the whole issue with the adamantium bullet ripping away Logan's memories deals with the fact that he was shot specifically in the temporal lobes to achieve that, and only the adamantium bullet at that caliber would penetrate his adamantium skull. Every other time he gets shot in the head, it doesn't hit those lobes or the Medulla Oblongata

This makes a bit more sense yes. Except the part about the "brain" it wouldn't quite work but it's closer to make sense now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

This makes a bit more sense yes. Except the part about the "brain" it wouldn't quite work but it's closer to make sense now.

The part of the brain is just how the Cinema universe was set up. The Temporal lobes are what controls storing and recalling memories, and the Medulla is what controls basic function of our bodies.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The part of the brain is just how the Cinema universe was set up. The Temporal lobes are what controls storing and recalling memories, and the Medulla is what controls basic function of our bodies.

AFAIK temporal lobe would have an effect on forming new memories not long term ones, he'd be like the guy from Memento for a while but if he regenerates it he'd recover the ability to form new memories.

But I guess for the sake of argument the adamantium bullet managed to damage several areas of his brain I suppose.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

AFAIK temporal lobe would have an effect on forming new memories not long term ones, he'd be like the guy from Memento for a while but if he regenerates it he'd recover the ability to form new memories.

The movie explanation is that where the memories are stored gets obliterated when Logan is shot in the lobes, and that while his brain would grow back, the memories would not.

A 9mm is more damaging than many people realize, especially when it brings fragments of bone with it, or in Logan's case, metal shrapnel from his skull.

It's also possible that when shot, the lobes were overstimulated and effectively formatted Logan's memories.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The movie explanation is that where the memories are stored gets obliterated when Logan is shot in the lobes, and that while his brain would grow back, the memories would not.

A 9mm is more damaging than many people realize, especially when it brings fragments of bone with it, or in Logan's case, metal shrapnel from his skull.

It's also possible that when shot, the lobes were overstimulated and effectively formatted Logan's memories.

Here's a question since you seem to follow this far more than I do: How did they explained Deadpool? I only watched the crappy, mute version of the Wolverine flick (still pending to watch the Deadpool flick) but well he was fully decapitated so the healing factor wouldn't do jack shit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Bruh.

You're thinking too much about it. It's a fictional universe.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Bruh.

You're thinking too much about it. It's a fictional universe.

I am aware but I know the comics and such usually do a better job at outlying this shit. But yeah I am aware I go full Kevin Smith when it comes to super heroes, things like this just itch my brain for some reason.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Here's a question since you seem to follow this far more than I do: How did they explained Deadpool? I only watched the crappy, mute version of the Wolverine flick (still pending to watch the Deadpool flick) but well he was fully decapitated so the healing factor wouldn't do jack shit.

Deadpool's healing factor is derived from Logan when they turn Wade into Weapon X, but that's as much as I actually know about Deadpool for the cinematic universe. Other than Iron Man, Wolverine Avengers (collectively, not every individual one), and Spider-Man, I actually don't care about superheroes. Even then, I mostly care about the cartoons, I just seem to have an easier time connecting obscure dots between reality and fiction.

But in the arch that some comics set up, every time Deadpool dies, Death creates another of him, and in hell, there is a continually growing supply of Deadpools. In the game, Death is personified, and in love with Deadpool but cannot keep him to herself as he has a job to do, which is basically cleaning up the world, one America at a time.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I am aware but I know the comics and such usually do a better job at outlying this shit. But yeah I am aware I go full Kevin Smith when it comes to super heroes, things like this just itch my brain for some reason.

Personally, I tend to just turn my brain off whenever I play games or watch movies so I can enjoy it more. I rarely ever get sucked into anything anymore (no homo) - not saying everything today is terribly written, but for the most part I've been conditioned to just relax, turn off the ole brain and enjoy.

When I go onto the internet to see what everyone else is saying about the game I played or movie I watched, I am blown away at the things people notice that are either out of place that ruin the whole plot, or fun things that just add to the experience. I just think worrying about little things is useless and takes the fun out of it.

However, when your movie is built on the premise that two superheroes hate each other since one caused a ton of deaths unintentionally and it's reconciled when they figure out that they both know a "Martha" in their lives is when I say let loose.