is h80i uses pwm?

Junwei

Hi, i am using a h80i v2 liquid cooling and i realised that in my bios for the fan speed control, i am able to choose between DC or PWM mode for the fan. From what i read online, they stated 3-pin fan can only monitor while 4pin is able to control (PWM). I have checked my motherboard and my both fan for radiator uses 3pin.

So now i am in a dilemma whether my fan uses PWM or not.

PS: I am able to control the h80i v2 fan through corsair Link.

Motherboard : Z170 Pro gaming

3-pin is DC and 4-pin is PWM

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

1 minute ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

3-pin is DC and 4-pin is PWM

Yea. However my h80i fans are 3pin and able to use PWM. any reason for that?

DC fans also can be controlled through software it's just that they are less efficient than PWM ones.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

4 minutes ago, Junwei said:

Yea. However my h80i fans are 3pin and able to use PWM. any reason for that?

your fans have a 3-pin right, than it is impossible to be PWM

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

1 minute ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

your fans have a 3-pin right, than it is impossible to be PWM

2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

DC fans also can be controlled through software it's just that they are less efficient than PWM ones.

ohh.. So am i right to say that the option in bios (DC or PWM) doesnt affect anything for my case? Because when i selected DC for my h80i fans, i am unable to control to fan rpm in Link (0rpm) but when i changed to PWM i am able to change the fan rpm

3 minutes ago, Junwei said:

ohh.. So am i right to say that the option in bios (DC or PWM) doesnt affect anything for my case? Because when i selected DC for my h80i fans, i am unable to control to fan rpm in Link (0rpm) but when i changed to PWM i am able to change the fan rpm

I think you have to have PWM enabled to control fans RPM regardless of them being PWM or DC, i think. I always had it enabled by default.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

I think you have to have PWM enabled to control fans RPM regardless of them being PWM or DC, i think. I always had it enabled by default.

Alright! Thanks for enlighting my doubts !

1 minute ago, Junwei said:

Alright! Thanks for enlighting my doubts !

No problem ;)