1080p or 1440p?

SwervinPersian

I want to buy a new monitor to match my 1070. This my first build, I would love to splash €1300 on the x34 or z35 but I want to upgrade later down the line as I find it ridicolous to spend almost the same $$ of your rig for the monitor (my rig is around €1800)

Higher fps or higher resolution? I primarily will use it for uni, work and gaming (BF1 & Fifa)

My budget is 200-400€

I was thinking a Dell UP2516d or U2515h that go for around €350. 25' IPS 6ms response time 1440p. No g-sync tho :(

Edited by SwervinPersian

BF1: Higher FPS

FIFA: Higher res

You just picked 2 game that are different lol

Which do you play more? Don't tell me you only play those game

6 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

I want to buy a new monitor to match my 1070. This my first build, I would love to splash €1300 on the x34 or z35 but I want to upgrade later down the line as I find it ridicolous to spend almost the same $$ of your rig for the monitor (my rig is around €1800)

Higher fps or higher resolution? I primarily will use it for uni, work and gaming (BF1 & Fifa)

My budget is 200-400€

I was thinking a Dell UP2516d or U2515h that go for around €350. 25' IPS 6ms response time 1440p. No g-sync tho :(

If you're going to be buying a monitor that only is 60Hz, go for 1440p as you'll consistently be at or above this mark so there's no difference in framerate that you can actually see between 1080 and 1440 if they're both 60Hz. 

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

BF1: Higher FPS

FIFA: Higher res

You just picked 2 game that are different lol

Which do you play more? Don't tell me you only play those game

I got rid of my xbox to upgrade to a gaming pc. I played fifa at first but stopped, and played bf1 got level 90 till i sold it. 

What do you prefer?

1 minute ago, SwervinPersian said:

I got rid of my xbox to upgrade to a gaming pc. I played fifa at first but stopped, and played bf1 got level 90 till i sold it. 

What do you prefer?

I prefer BF1. FIFA is more like couch game, not a PC game

4 minutes ago, dobo2001 said:

If you're going to be buying a monitor that only is 60Hz, go for 1440p as you'll consistently be at or above this mark so there's no difference in framerate that you can actually see between 1080 and 1440 if they're both 60Hz. 

No I understand that I would have to go for 60hz on 1440p and 144hz on 1080p, otherwise there would be no point.

But for someone who just is going to start pc gaming I want to know what a gold start is. Will I experience game tearing on a 60hz 1440p on BF1 multiplayer?

4 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

What do you prefer?

I would prefer higher refresh rate and response time, 100Hz+ and 1ms. Or compromise and get 1440p 60Hz 1ms, or 1080p 60Hz 1ms GSync. It all depends on how and what you play.

Edit: I personally use 1080p, 1ms, 144Hz, G-Sync 24".

Will I experience game tearing on a 60hz 1440p on BF1 multiplayer?

You shouldn't.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I prefer BF1. FIFA is more like couch game, not a PC game

Haha I mean resolution vs fps, but I agree with what u said. On the couch with da homies.

But I really felt xbox was not really offering much, and I was not feeling the games being released atm

2 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

I would prefer higher refresh rate and response time, 100Hz+ and 1ms. Or compromise and get 1440p 60Hz 1ms, or 1080p 60Hz 1ms GSync. It all depends on how and what you play.

So a 24 or 27 inch acer predator TN panel? 

Which 1070 you got?

2 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Which 1070 you got?

It doesn't matter tbh, the diff is like few fps

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

It doesn't matter tbh, the diff is like few fps

Forgive me for being curious xD

6 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Which 1070 you got?

FE. Reason to that (as majority go for aftermarket gpu's) is that I have a small form factor build, and it suits the airflow of my case. I doubt I will want to overclock it yet.

Also the aesthetics. 

Edited by SwervinPersian

6 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

So I was digging "on the line" around the interwebs, people say the 1070 won't run the 1440p at 144Hz, but it can certanly do more than 1440p 60Hz, so you might want to get a 1440p 60Hz 1ms  and only be getting around 100Hz, which is still better and if you change GPU in the future, you won't necessarily have to buy a new one. 

1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

So I was digging "on the line" around the interwebs, people say the 1070 won't run the 1440p at 144Hz, but it can certanly do more than 1440p 60Hz, so you might want to get a 1440p 60Hz 1ms  and only be getting around 100Hz, which is still better and if you change GPU in the future, you won't necessarily have to buy a new one. 

Oh I thought majority of the people thought higher framerate is better. I was referring to the 1080p versions. I personally want an 1440p IPS (the dell one which is 60hz I believe), but will the 6ms response time be a big factor to multiplayer games like BF1? 

Oh I thought majority of the people thought higher framerate is better. I was referring to the 1080p versions. I personally want an 1440p IPS (the dell one which is 60hz I believe), but will the 6ms response time be a big factor to multiplayer games like BF1? 

No response time has no impact much

2 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

Higher framerate is better but depends against what you compare it, I would gladly give up some framerates for a better image quality, as long as you stay above the famous 60FPS it's all good, but like I said, if you can get your hands in a 1440p 144Hz or 100Hz, your card won't pull 100 FPS at 1440p but it'll do more than 60FPS. The response time won't affect much. I don't know about you in the UK but I would try and get something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/132065217046?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true maybe you can find something better if you go used or refurbished? Mine costed me half price and it was certified refurbished, I love it.

1 minute ago, Miguel552 said:

Higher framerate is better but depends against what you compare it, I would gladly give up some framerates for a better image quality, as long as you stay above the famous 60FPS it's all good, but like I said, if you can get your hands in a 1440p 144Hz or 100Hz, your card won't pull 100 FPS at 1440p but it'll do more than 60FPS. The response time won't affect much. I don't know about you in the UK but I would try and get something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/132065217046?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true maybe you can find something better if you go used or refurbished? Mine costed me half price and it was certified refurbished, I love it.

It has g-sync...sweet. I did not look much into it as I did not like the stand, but it has solid features, even though it is not the most recent model.

Thank you for your time

3 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

It has g-sync...sweet. I did not look much into it as I did not like the stand, but it has solid features, even though it is not the most recent model.

Thank you for your time

Yeah, if you go that route you'll get more for the money, if you don't like the stand you can always invest in one of those desk stands, like if it was for multiple monitors but only for one? But like you said, you are getting everything with that, 1440p 144Hz 4ms G-Sync.

Edit: Just remember when using eBay or any service like that, make sure the seller has positive reviews and accepts returns to ensure your investment is protected!

6 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Yeah, if you go that route you'll get more for the money, if you don't like the stand you can always invest in one of those desk stands, like if it was for multiple monitors but only for one? But like you said, you are getting everything with that, 1440p 144Hz 4ms G-Sync.

Edit: Just remember when using eBay or any service like that, make sure the seller has positive reviews and accepts returns to ensure your investment is protected!

I think If I buy it used it will be me testing it out before I give a single dime haha.

10 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Last qs, what about ultra wide? Would i go for 2560-1080 or 3140-1440p? (i'm guessing the vertical resolution)

2 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

Last qs, what about ultra wide? Would i go for 2560-1080 or 3140-1440p? (i'm guessing the vertical resolution)

Those are harder to come by, will be harder for your GPU to push (lower framerates) and will be much more expensive. Might as well go dual screens.

30 minutes ago, SwervinPersian said:

I would recommend the 1440p Ultra-Wide. The 1070 should be able to max out the monitor and the extra field-of-vision is especially helpful in BF1 and Fifa.