KZ ED9 impressions

kokakolia
Go to solution Solved by GamerDude,

Hey, just saw this thread, so glad to see yet another who's stepped up to the Chi-Fi IEM challenge. I found the ED7 to be pretty bass heavy and light on the highs, let's see what you think of it. You really oughta try Senfer 4in1, I have mine with the Tinsel cable (from my CampFire Audio Jupiter) and some Comply and I tell ya, it has a more refined sound, smooth deep bass (NOT mid bass slam like the TFZ ZS3), good (perhaps a tad recessed) mids and sparkly highs......absolutely love it! So lovin' it, I'm trying to get another pair in black.....and perhaps the IE800 wannabe, the Senfer DT2 (though I already have the IE800 already).

So I recently jumped on the cheap China IEM bandwagon by purchasing KZ earbuds on Amazon. They're around $10~$20. They come with two different metal nozzles for changing the sound profile. I just use the shorter nozzle because they fit my ear better. 

The ED7s are still on their way (1+ months of shipping), so I got the ED9 model with 2 day shipping for an extra cost. Here are some brief impressions:

- The build quality trumps any "Brand" (Philips, SONY etc...) earbuds under $50. You get metal earbuds, with a soft springy cable and lots of tension reliefs at each junction. One word: SOLID. 

- They have a weird, not-so-ergonomic shape with long hexagonal barrels. They're also quite large (for an earbud) and heavy, because METAL. 

- With the right ear-tip you can easily get a seal and they just fit. So comfort is fine. 

- There is just the right amount of bass, but the bass doesn't extend far (i.e. almost no sub-bass). 

- Vocals are recessed, which is kind of a bummer. I am used to forward vocals on the Philips SHP 9500 and Philips M1. 

- The highs feel uneven. It's too bright, almost abrasive. Listening to MacDemarco's album 2 was almost painful. But it's fortunately not as bad as a Superlux headphone :P That said, the blah treble makes them sound a bit thin, and that's not good. 

- The soundstage is pretty amazing for earbuds. I can easily hear some of the quieter things happening in the background of some songs. 

To be honest, I am a little bit disappointed. These earbuds are amazing for the price (as in not super shrill and thin like the overrated Philips 3590), but that price is so low that you may as well get something WAYYY better around $60 or less. Heck, $40. It's just a case of "you get what you pay for", and "don't believe the hype". I know we're not comparing apples to apples here, but something like a Skullcandy Navigator for $24 or a $40 JBL S300 sounds so...MUCH...BETTER!! 

There must be something equivalent with earbuds. I'd appreciate it if someone would recommend me a set of warm earbuds without shrill, thin sounding, unpleasant treble. That just annoys me, because I feel like I blew $60 on several pairs of lousy cheap earbuds. 

/rant. 

UPDATE: I got used to the somewhat "anemic" nature of the ED9s and I can say that there's little to complain about (other than the ever so slightly abrasive highs). Also, the sub bass is there. I suppose that it takes the brain some time to adjust. 

Yeah, they're good stuff :D 

Seriously, if you're the kind of person that forgets their earphones in the washer, then the Ed9 is for you! For $10 you get a satisfying experience. 

Hey, just saw this thread, so glad to see yet another who's stepped up to the Chi-Fi IEM challenge. I found the ED7 to be pretty bass heavy and light on the highs, let's see what you think of it. You really oughta try Senfer 4in1, I have mine with the Tinsel cable (from my CampFire Audio Jupiter) and some Comply and I tell ya, it has a more refined sound, smooth deep bass (NOT mid bass slam like the TFZ ZS3), good (perhaps a tad recessed) mids and sparkly highs......absolutely love it! So lovin' it, I'm trying to get another pair in black.....and perhaps the IE800 wannabe, the Senfer DT2 (though I already have the IE800 already).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Thank heavens! The ED7 is definetly what I am looking for. 

I still can't get over the shrill highs of the ED9s. I am starting to regret that purchase. 

If the ED7s don't rock, then I'll buy Marshall Mode earbuds. They're only $60 cad and I should have bought them over the several IEMs that don't sound right to my ears.

...So the stakes are high for the ED7!!

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

If the ED7s don't rock, then I'll buy Marshall Mode earbuds. They're only $60 cad and I should have bought them over the several IEMs that don't sound right to my ears.

...So the stakes are high for the ED7!!

Please bear in mind I'm something of a closet treblehead, so I like 'em sparkle! Listening to the ED7 + LG V20 (via Spotify at 'Extreme Quality' setting), treble sounds pretty recessed to me, with bass more in the foreground (so to say). While treble is present, it doesn't quite have the presence and sparkle on the Senfer 4in1 (which I now think isn't quite suitable for you). Do let me know whatcha think of the ED7....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I will haha... I am quite curious myself. I'll get them shipped in 2 more weeks.