PS4 and power line adapter

Go to solution Solved by B16CXHatch,

A powerline adapters effectiveness is basically relative to the quality and layout of the house's wiring. I use a pair in my house to get an access point in what would otherwise be a WiFi deadzone. The router is on the top floor in the corner of the house. I have one powerline box in that room and another in the family room downstairs on the ground floor in the center of the house (that room must have interference cause even my cell signal drops on my phone). That box runs to a router reconfigured as an access point. It works perfectly. I get the full 50Mbit over the WiFi on every device in that room.

Now I've always heard that older houses tend to have problems with powerline adapters but I'm not sure what people mean by older because my house was built in the 60's and it works great.

BTW, the powerline kit I use is the TP-Link AV500. If they are wanting to expand the WiFi and not just run a cable to the PS4 (and also don't have spare routers or access points hanging around either), there's also a kit that includes an access point/switch.

Hi Guys, My colleague's son is having problems downloading updates / games to his PS4 (Here I should add I've had no experience with playstations since the PS2). His PS4 has an update to download its approximately 1gb, it claims it will take days to download!  Their route is upstairs and his PS4 is at the other end of house downstairs where the wifi signal is very weak. It clear that the weak wifi is the issue. We're unable to run an ethernet cable to that end of the house so were considering using power line adapters. Are there any issues using a PS4 with power line adapters? Any recommendations regarding make, models and data transfer speed will be really appreciated.

Thanks for your help. 

Just move your ps4 beside the router then move it back down

My life

Thanks for the suggestion, however this would require moving the TV upstairs each time there's an update or when he downloads a new game.

9 minutes ago, techtony said:

Thanks for the suggestion, however this would require moving the TV upstairs each time there's an update or when he downloads a new game.

You know you can hook it up to a computer monitor right and instead of buying one of your dohickeys why don't you just buy a better router 

My life

15 minutes ago, Himommies said:

You know you can hook it up to a computer monitor right and instead of buying one of your dohickeys why don't you just buy a better router 

There ISP will not let them change the router (been down that route before with that isp). They don't have a desktop pc so he can't use that method either. 

A powerline adapters effectiveness is basically relative to the quality and layout of the house's wiring. I use a pair in my house to get an access point in what would otherwise be a WiFi deadzone. The router is on the top floor in the corner of the house. I have one powerline box in that room and another in the family room downstairs on the ground floor in the center of the house (that room must have interference cause even my cell signal drops on my phone). That box runs to a router reconfigured as an access point. It works perfectly. I get the full 50Mbit over the WiFi on every device in that room.

Now I've always heard that older houses tend to have problems with powerline adapters but I'm not sure what people mean by older because my house was built in the 60's and it works great.

BTW, the powerline kit I use is the TP-Link AV500. If they are wanting to expand the WiFi and not just run a cable to the PS4 (and also don't have spare routers or access points hanging around either), there's also a kit that includes an access point/switch.