EVGA SC or FTW

I'm about to get a new graphics card for my build, and I'm wandering whether to go for the superclocked or ftw version of the gtx 1080. I know the sc doesn't have a custom PCB and only has one 8-pin connector but thats about it. I did see in a review that the sc didn't overclock too well, but I don't really plan on pushing my card that hard anyways. 

The FTW edition will probably overclock a tad better than the SC. The FTW also has a dual BIOS and RGB lighting if those things work for you 

I personally have a 1070 SC with the hybrid kit attached and it overclocks surprisingly well. though I might have taken the FTW if it meant unlocking additional overclocking headroom 

Just now, KeFy said:

yeah the gtx 1080 ftw is probably your best option

I love how quick replies are here. 

Yeah I know the ftw is the better option but is it worth the extra $20? Right now I can get the ftw for about 977 and the sc for about 959 (canada)

Just now, prostrike33 said:

I love how quick replies are here. 

Yeah I know the ftw is the better option but is it worth the extra $20? Right now I can get the ftw for about 977 and the sc for about 959 (canada)

really depends if you want to push your card a little bit get the FTW if your just planning on running stock its really a toss up, having the option to OC is always nice :)

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

The FTW edition will probably overclock a tad better than the SC. The FTW also has a dual BIOS and RGB lighting if those things work for you 

I personally have a 1070 SC with the hybrid kit attached and it overclocks surprisingly well. though I might have taken the FTW if it meant unlocking additional overclocking headroom 

Not sure what dual BIOS is (This is my first build) and I don't care about RGB. 

5 minutes ago, prostrike33 said:

I'm about to get a new graphics card for my build, and I'm wandering whether to go for the superclocked or ftw version of the gtx 1080. I know the sc doesn't have a custom PCB and only has one 8-pin connector but thats about it. I did see in a review that the sc didn't overclock too well, but I don't really plan on pushing my card that hard anyways. 

FTW version is a little better. Plus, it has RGB :P

My Current Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO GPU: ASUS STRIX OC 1070 Motherboard: MSI Z170-A Gaming M5 Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 Storage: A-Data Premier 240GB SSD/Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM Case: NZXT S340 PSU: Corsair RM750i Monitors: Acer R240HY/ Dell S2716DG

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwcjLD

Not sure what dual BIOS is (This is my first build) and I don't care about RGB. 

dual BIOS allows you to use a slave BIOS to try out potentially unsafe overclocking (or flash custom BIOSes). if you screw things up you can switch back to the home BIOS 

1 minute ago, KeFy said:

really depends if you want to push your card a little bit get the ftw if your just planning on running stock its really a toss up, having the option to OC is always nice :)

I do want to overclock, but It's not so much a ground breaking feature for me, (I'll probably be focusing on overclocking my CPU more). 

2 minutes ago, Percenary said:

FTW version is a little better. Plus, it has RGB :P

Haha yeah I know. The ftw has higher base and boost clock but is it worth the extra $20. It's not that big a deal (the extra money I mean), but I am already kinda pushing the budget for my build already. 

Oh and I don't care for RGB. 

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

dual BIOS allows you to use a slave BIOS to try out potentially unsafe overclocking (or flash custom BIOSes). if you screw things up you can switch back to the home BIOS 

Ah, ok then it's not really important for me. I'll probably be sticking to precisionX for my overclocking needs.

I do want to overclock, but It's not so much a ground breaking feature for me, (I'll probably be focusing on overclocking my CPU more). 

then i don´t acualy know i would still suggest the ftw but at the end of the day its usaly only a 3% preformace diffrence so just go with whatever you feel 

Haha yeah I know. The ftw has higher base and boost clock but is it worth the extra $20. It's not that big a deal (the extra money I mean), but I am already kinda pushing the budget for my build already. 

meh in that case it does not really matter what card you go with they are both great cards and will run exelect regardless what you do. just go with whatever you feel the most comfortable with and you should be more then fine :)

1 minute ago, KeFy said:

meh in that case it does not really matter what card you go with they are both great cards and will run exelect regardless what you do. just go with whatever you feel the most comfortable with and you should be more then fine :)

Quick question then, does a custom PCB make a difference cooling wise?

Quick question then, does a custom PCB make a difference cooling wise?

maybe a little bit but not so mutch that you will notice it

Just now, KeFy said:

maybe a little bit but not so mutch that you will notice it

Ok. Thank You

5 minutes ago, prostrike33 said:

It all comes down to personal preference. Get what you want

My Current Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO GPU: ASUS STRIX OC 1070 Motherboard: MSI Z170-A Gaming M5 Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 Storage: A-Data Premier 240GB SSD/Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM Case: NZXT S340 PSU: Corsair RM750i Monitors: Acer R240HY/ Dell S2716DG

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwcjLD

1 minute ago, Percenary said:

It all comes down to personal preference. Get what you want

Yeah I'm probably over-thinking this, but considering the video card is costing me almost $1000 by itself, I want to get every info I can

None of the EVGA 10XX chips are binned, so you have as much chance at getting a good overclocker with an SC, or ACX3.0 vanilla, as you do with a FTW, or Classified. Many SCs overclock more than FTWs, and vice-versa.

The cooler is the same on the SC and FTW. What you're paying for with the FTW, is the RGB-lighting, and the dual BIOS - but the unlocked BIOS might not get you much further with an overclock than the default one. Also, the extra power connector on the FTW isn't needed with these cards, and the single 8-pin covers everything you'll need.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, prostrike33 said:

Yeah I'm probably over-thinking this, but considering the video card is costing me almost $1000 by itself, I want to get every info I can

Whaaaaait whaaaat 1000$ ? here in sweden i can pick that card up for around 700$ rolf

2 minutes ago, KeFy said:

Whaaaaait whaaaat 1000$ ? here in sweden i can pick that card up for around 700$ rolf

Yeah not so in Canada. The fact I'm even considering the two, is cause of sales

Overclocking potential for both cards are the same.  The FTW has a slightly higher power limit set in the bios, so it won't hit the power limit as soon.  The dual bios on the FTW is effectively useless with Pascal, as there is no Pascal Bios Editor yet, and likely won't be.

Really, the only advantage the FTW has, is if you're going to be REALLY pushing the overclocks...but on air, you're going to be pretty limited anyway.  These cards run better when they're cooler, so....overclocking higher on air nets a lot less returns than with water or below ambient cooling.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Personally, I wouldn't buy either one because of "Thermal Padgate". I don't doubt that the new VBIOS does a little to help mitigate the problem and the new thermal pads do more, but something bugs me to the point that the brand new replacement 1070 SC I received just hit eBay: if the engineers missed something as simple as thermal pads on the VRMs, what else did they miss?

Don't get me wrong, I'll consider EVGA in future generations without question because they have been so good in the past, but I'm officially scared off from them for Pascal. As soon as the 1070 SC sells, I'll be grabbing either an MSI or Zotac card.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

After just getting a sc, I regret not getting  the ftw. Or the classified or getting a strix again. Power delivery is so much better, sitting at voltage limits pretty quick.

I put it on water so some thermal pad thing wouldn't bother me. I would have bought a FE if they had them in a good brand. I prefer asus on everything evga being a close second, wouldn't get anything else.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

After just getting a sc, I regret not getting  the ftw. Or the classified or getting a strix again. Power delivery is so much better, sitting at voltage limits pretty quick.

I put it on water so some thermal pad thing wouldn't bother me. I would have bought a FE if they had them in a good brand. I prefer asus on everything evga being a close second, wouldn't get anything else.

Yeah but I've seen SC versions overclock up to about 2000 mhz. Thats about as high as I would try to push the card anyways, so it seems the only deal breaker would be the RGB which I don't care about.

In your experience, how's Asus customer service? considering the price of the card I would rather have a reliable service