Backup system needed

mbryant

Sometime soon I will be editing a show I'm writing with some co-workers and I want to make sure my computer is ready to take it on. I've been wanting to add more storage for a while now. Currently I have a 120GB SSD which holds my OS and will hold my Adobe applications when I get them. I also have a WD 500GB blue drive (with 460GB available) and a WD Black 1TB drive with 570GB available. I wanted to add more storage but I ALSO need a back up drive, ideally this back up drive would only hold my adobe project files as everything else on my PC is easy to recover but I don't have an extensive budget so what do I do to add more storage AND have a backup? Just buy a 2 or 4tb drive and have 2 partitions?  

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

You could always go down to the store and grab a USB HDD, it will do the job for periodic backups

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

Having 2 Partitions on your proposed backup drive would render it useless. In the event of a disk fail of the drive, you would loose your stuff AND the backups at the same time.

An external drive for regular backups would be the best choice. If you need the extra space get an additional internal Drive.

40 minutes ago, mbryant said:

External USB drives are not that expensive.  I don't know how much storage space you will end up consuming for all the master footage that will be generated during filming or that will be handed over to you for editing.  But any backup solution you get should be external to the workstation so that if any of the storage systems within the workstation become corrupted, you can recover them from the external source.

Like someone else said, partitioning a drive into two partitions and using one partition as backup is not going to be a truly reliable solution.  If that drive fails, you lose both partitions.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

12 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

External USB drives are not that expensive.  I don't know how much storage space you will end up consuming for all the master footage that will be generated during filming or that will be handed over to you for editing.  But any backup solution you get should be external to the workstation so that if any of the storage systems within the workstation become corrupted, you can recover them from the external source.

Like someone else said, partitioning a drive into two partitions and using one partition as backup is not going to be a truly reliable solution.  If that drive fails, you lose both partitions.

I unfortunately posted after I'd been up all night.I wasn't very coherent. Appreciate the tips! I have 0 experience with Windows back ups. I haven't had one since time machine when I was still on Mac OS. My concern is also the fact that I have 3 drives ATM. If I was to let's say get a 4TB external drive and use that as a backup how would that work with the 3 drives? Is it just straight forward?

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

7 hours ago, mbryant said:

I unfortunately posted after I'd been up all night.I wasn't very coherent. Appreciate the tips! I have 0 experience with Windows back ups. I haven't had one since time machine when I was still on Mac OS. My concern is also the fact that I have 3 drives ATM. If I was to let's say get a 4TB external drive and use that as a backup how would that work with the 3 drives? Is it just straight forward?

I'm not exactly sure about that, I have never used windows backup either.  I simply copy all the footage from the memory cards to different locations with an ingestion software like Adobe Prelude.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

46 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I'm not exactly sure about that, I have never used windows backup either.  I simply copy all the footage from the memory cards to different locations with an ingestion software like Adobe Prelude.

Oh I didn't mean just my footage, I'll probably use an external drive for that as was suggested, I'm referring to all of my files and OS