SD Card Backup

Lewiscpullan
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
1 hour ago, Lewiscpullan said:

I'm going on a school trip to Italy and I was wondering if there was like a hard drive thing that I could just put my sd into and backs it up so I can delete everything off it because I would rather not take a laptop with me.

1 hour ago, ALwin said:

--SNIP-- Or just carry enough spare SD cards, how long are you going to be in Italy and how many photos do you expect to take a day?

I'd just carry a few SD cards with you. Personally, I treat my SD cards like rolls of film and backup the photos and videos from them to portable hard drives as an extra safeguard. Resumes and documents can be re-created if lost, but you can never have enough copies of digital media.

I'm sure the hotel you're staying at will have some kind of computer in the lobby, or someone will have a laptop you can borrow for half a minute to plugin your camera and a portable USB hard drive in order to transfer things off the SD card.

I'm going on a school trip to Italy and I was wondering if there was like a hard drive thing that I could just put my sd into and backs it up so I can delete everything off it because I would rather not take a laptop with me.

2 minutes ago, Lewiscpullan said:

WD makes a portable HDD with a SD card slot, I don't think it will format it but it will let you copy files off it I guess.  There are some mobile memory card backup solutions that also use a HDD.  Or just carry enough spare SD cards, how long are you going to be in Italy and how many photos do you expect to take a day?

What happens if you lose or damage that portable HDD?

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

WD makes a portable HDD with a SD card slot, I don't think it will format it but it will let you copy files off it I guess.  There are some mobile memory card backup solutions.  Or just carry enough spare SD cards, how long are you going to be in Italy and how many photos do you expect to take a day?

I've never heard of those. Don't they require some sort of power and/or human interaction to support the backing up?

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

WD makes a portable HDD with a SD card slot, I don't think it will format it but it will let you copy files off it I guess.  There are some mobile memory card backup solutions.  Or just carry enough spare SD cards, how long are you going to be in Italy and how many photos do you expect to take a day?

I'm going there for a week and I think I will be filming most of all. I know my camera can delete the photos so I don't need it to format for me.

7 minutes ago, Trustadz said:

I've never heard of those. Don't they require some sort of power and/or human interaction to support the backing up?

Well they do need to be recharged by a USB cable, I think.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330

There are also devices like these, some of them are sold as empty cases where you can insert your choice of HDD.  See if you can get something similar in the UK, perhaps from CVP.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stand-Alone-Data-Storage/ci/3369/N/4000227848

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, Lewiscpullan said:

Ahh pretty pricey then

Check my last comment, I added a list of other options.  Yes they all are pricy.

1 hour ago, Lewiscpullan said:

1 hour ago, ALwin said:

--SNIP-- Or just carry enough spare SD cards, how long are you going to be in Italy and how many photos do you expect to take a day?

I'd just carry a few SD cards with you. Personally, I treat my SD cards like rolls of film and backup the photos and videos from them to portable hard drives as an extra safeguard. Resumes and documents can be re-created if lost, but you can never have enough copies of digital media.

I'm sure the hotel you're staying at will have some kind of computer in the lobby, or someone will have a laptop you can borrow for half a minute to plugin your camera and a portable USB hard drive in order to transfer things off the SD card.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 20/09/2016 at 8:43 PM, kirashi said:

Good idea I didn't think of that thanks