Which headphones to pick? HyperX Cloud vs. AKG K550

Tomek20225

Sorry for reposting! I would have deleted the previous post if I had known how ? It's very important for me to get an answer.

Hi, guys! ?

After countless hours of scrolling through offers, reading reviews and testing I've picked my favourite pairs of headphones.

I have found some very interesting offers, but I have no clue which to pick ?

And keep in mind - I pretty much need/have to buy a USB AMP/DAC, since my onboard audio is pretty bad and my front audio jack is broken and I don't want to plug my headphones at the back, because I have speakers plugged back there.

1. AKG K550 + Fiio E07K (120$ + 32$)

It would be an obvious choice, but of course, life has to be harder. These devices are used. They're 3 years old I am told. Although the DAC is in perfect condition, the pads on headphones are highly damaged, and these alone are a bit scratched near the edges. That adds the cost of new pads (32$) later on in the future. The seller seems very thruthful and nice - I think he can be believed, that these work perfectly fine, but I still have no real warranity, so I would be uncovered in case of something breaking. But, on the other hand, this is very cheap, I presume (yet noone wants to buy it for some reason at that price...Maybe that's a hint). The cost of a new pair with a DAC is around twice that amount. Also, by far, this is hands-down my favourite pair of all time and I would gladly hear it with a DAC! Another important thing to consider is that I don't listen to music a lot and I use my headphones almost exclusively for gaming and Skyping (and I don't even do that often lately) so I don't know if I desperately need such an expensive pair.

2. HyperX Cloud + Fiio E07K or E10K (depending on which I find for better price) (120-170$)

I've just came back from my friend's place testing out his new pair of Clouds. It ensured me that I really like them, but not as much as AKGs. On the other hand, they're good enough and this is the price for everything newly bought in shop - that gives me a few year warranity. The problem is with the DAC, which I'll have to buy to use the headset anyway - there are no offers for E07K. There are only for much better E10 or E10K, but also twice as expensive. In the end the cost for this option would be higher, but I would know what I would be paying for + it's still very solid.

I don't know ? Which option would you choose?

Will an expensive Fiio E10K make the Clouds sound like AKG K550s without one? If yes, then I'd be pretty happy with that too.

Huuge thanks in advance! ?

Thomas

Considered the HyperX Cloud 2? Comes with a USB dongle. 

Also are you missing a mic if you go with the K550 deal?

soundwise the akg550 will allways be better then the clouds.

Clouds are a good headset for gaming, not so much for listening to music.

I have both.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

3 hours ago, HydraGaming said:

Considered the HyperX Cloud 2? Comes with a USB dongle. 

Also are you missing a mic if you go with the K550 deal?

I thought about them, but I wasn't sure whether that dongle is worth another 20$ ?

No, I have another mic anyway.

3 hours ago, MrSuperb said:

soundwise the akg550 will allways be better then the clouds.

Clouds are a good headset for gaming, not so much for listening to music.

I have both.

I'm certain that AKGs will be better - what I'm not so sure about is the durability of used headphones without warranity with damaged pads. That's my main concern.

2 hours ago, Tomek20225 said:

I thought about them, but I wasn't sure whether that dongle is worth another 20$ ?

No, I have another mic anyway.

I'm certain that AKGs will be better - what I'm not so sure about is the durability of used headphones without warranity with damaged pads. That's my main concern.

maybe i can help you out (pm)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log