Minecraft: Unable to find valid certification path

Karknos

I cannot launch Minecraft on my Windows 10 laptop.  It's brand new, no third party software, I turn off the firewall when I try to connect.  I have completely uninstalled Java, using REVO, and the same with Minecraft, then doing fresh installs.  Still the same error:  Unable to find valid certification path to requested target.  I cannot find an answer through Google nor has Mojang been helpful in any way.  I need help, please.

Make sure the time on your computer is correct. If you have antivirus software installed try disabling it temporarily when launching the game

On 9/16/2016 at 9:08 PM, Jed M said:

Remove ALL Java versions. Then install Java 8. Reboot your computer. Do not allow Minecraft to use anything related to Java in the settings on the launcher.  7b45704339798ba34333f663abd76e96.png
https://gyazo.com/7b45704339798ba34333f663abd76e96 <- Like that.

Thank you very much for the response.  Where do I find those settings?  Is that for Minecraft or within Java itself?

Digging around the two programs to the level I can understand, I noticed a discrepancy.  In Minecraft, the launcher is set for 1.8.0_25, but my version, according to Java is 1.8.0_101.  Could this be the problem?  How do I get MInecraft to look for 101?  Can I simply change the target in the Minecraft launcher?

I figured out what I had to do, but your suggestion has not worked.