Finalizing Parts for High-End Gaming PC

Hey everyone,

After taking some of your previous advice on parts, I thought I'd post an updated list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/p2vCd6

Let me know what you think. I realize some things may be a little "overkill" like the memory and mobo, but I'm a sucker for the bells and whistles! I also went with that CD/DVD/Blu Ray drive because it doesn't have a bunch of writing/logos on the front.

I'm ready to make this purchase in the next couple of days so speak now or forever hold your peace! :D 

Thanks!

Tweaked things a bit:http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dwG6D8

Forgot to add a PSU lol:http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LGsBLD

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

If you don't want writing on your Optical drive, buy ANY drive out there, pop the front off and spray paint the plastics with the appropriate color (or plasti-dip them) will save you a good bit over the cost of that drive and be that extra little touch of custom work. also 3400 RAM in a Skylake build is just wasting money, there is no noticable performance gains from going that high, even if you wanted the specific brand and series "Corsair Vengeance LED" RAM you could drop the clock speeds down to 3000 or even 2666 and save yourself 50 or 60 bucks. Also why so expensive a PSU, I've got the Corsair RM750x, it's got a 7 year warranty, fully modular, JonnyGuru recommended solid quality 80+ GOLD and is like half the price you have listed for the one you have.

these 3 things listed above are examples of pointless waste even in an "Overkill" system and compromises that can be made without messing with the looks, while saving like 200 bucks overall.

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

If you don't want writing on your Optical drive, buy ANY drive out there, pop the front off and spray paint the plastics with the appropriate color (or plasti-dip them) will save you a good bit over the cost of that drive and be that extra little touch of custom work. also 3400 RAM in a Skylake build is just wasting money, there is no noticable performance gains from going that high, even if you wanted the specific brand and series "Corsair Vengeance LED" RAM you could drop the clock speeds down to 3000 or even 2666 and save yourself 50 or 60 bucks. Also why so expensive a PSU, I've got the Corsair RM750x, it's got a 7 year warranty, fully modular, JonnyGuru recommended solid quality 80+ GOLD and is like half the price you have listed for the one you have.

these 3 things listed above are examples of pointless waste even in an "Overkill" system and compromises that can be made without messing with the looks, while saving like 200 bucks overall.

Thanks for the info. I might take your advice on the RAM and optical drive. The PSU is actually the new RGB edition (I know, I know 9_9) but it isn't listed yet on partspicker.

4 minutes ago, corporatezombie said:

What about the Dell s2716dg as an alternative monitor? It still has G sync and has only 1ms response time instead of 4ms and is cheaper?

I hadn't considered that monitor before. I like it (especially the 1ms response rate), but it's a TN panel instead of IPS which seems to be the way most high-end monitors are going now.

22 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

Thanks for the info. I might take your advice on the RAM and optical drive. The PSU is actually the new RGB edition (I know, I know 9_9) but it isn't listed yet on partspicker.

RGB on the PSU >:(, but if your going for RGB what might be the Smarter Choice is to swap out the FTW 1080 for the Asus Strix 1080 it will use the same Aura RGB software the motherboard does then you could get an Aura RGB light strip to connect to the header on the Maximus and forget the RGB PSU and have ALL your RGB controlled within the same app. then you can skip all the silly RGB fans and have a clean system that can still do all kinds of funky RGB stuff.

Also if going with that motherboard why not go custom loop instead of All-in-One, you can't tie the AIO into the EK ports on the motherboard, I mean if you are willing to drop this kind of coin why not go that last bit, then you could have clear tubing with colored fluid.

Edit: you REALLY want to avoid RGB from different manufactures, the colors often won't match up and the Aura RGB is a full 16.7 million color RGB instead of the 6-7 color RGB commonly seen elsewhere.

A lot is wrong with the build, but it is your money.  I can at least offer an alternate way to spend $3500:

1.  Unless you plan to stare into your case all day long, a better monitor will improve your experience.

2.  If you want to do LED lighting, use freaking strips.  The mobo I have picked does have accent lighting though.

3.  There is no real use for 32GB quad channel RAM in a Z170 gaming build.  If you needed 32GB for content creation, I would imagine a X99 build would have been considered.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($162.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW DT GAMING Video Card  ($649.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NCIX US)  <<scrap the 200mm for the two 140mm
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)  <<Sand the logo off
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM  140mm Fan  ($11.90 @ NCIX US)  <<Front intake
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM  140mm Fan  ($11.90 @ NCIX US)  <<Front intake
Monitor: Acer Predator X34 34.0" 100Hz Monitor  ($1248.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($129.00 @ Amazon)
Other: ASUS ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming Panel  ($72.12)
Total: $3283.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-14 02:04 EDT-0400

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

A lot is wrong with the build, but it is your money.  I can at least offer an alternate way to spend $3500:

1.  Unless you plan to stare into your case all day long, a better monitor will improve your experience.

2.  If you want to do LED lighting, use freaking strips.  The mobo I have picked does have accent lighting though.

3.  There is no real use for 32GB quad channel RAM in a Z170 gaming build.  If you needed 32GB for content creation, I would imagine a X99 build would have been considered.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($162.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW DT GAMING Video Card  ($649.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NCIX US)  <<scrap the 200mm for the two 140mm
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)  <<Sand the logo off
Monitor: Acer Predator X34 34.0" 100Hz Monitor  ($1248.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($129.00 @ Amazon)
Other: ASUS ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming Panel  ($72.12)
Total: $3283.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-14 02:04 EDT-0400

Thanks! I really like that CPU cooler you suggested and I will take your advice about the RAM. As for the monitor, I thought about going with that Predator model, but I play some FPS games like CS:GO where increased Hz really makes a difference.

11 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

RGB on the PSU >:(, but if your going for RGB what might be the Smarter Choice is to swap out the FTW 1080 for the Asus Strix 1080 it will use the same Aura RGB software the motherboard does then you could get an Aura RGB light strip to connect to the header on the Maximus and forget the RGB PSU and have ALL your RGB controlled within the same app. then you can skip all the silly RGB fans and have a clean system that can still do all kinds of funky RGB stuff.

Also if going with that motherboard why not go custom loop instead of All-in-One, you can't tie the AIO into the EK ports on the motherboard, I mean if you are willing to drop this kind of coin why not go that last bit, then you could have clear tubing with colored fluid.

Edit: you REALLY want to avoid RGB from different manufactures, the colors often won't match up and the Aura RGB is a full 16.7 million color RGB instead of the 6-7 color RGB commonly seen elsewhere.

I agree about the Strix. I think that would make most sense for this setup. As for the custom loop, I've heard nightmare stories about leaks and I've never ran a liquid cooling setup before so I'm trying to keep it as easy and safe as possible.

Just now, HungryHamster said:

I agree about the Strix. I think that would make most sense for this setup. As for the custom loop, I've heard nightmare stories about leaks and I've never ran a liquid cooling setup before so I'm trying to keep it as easy and safe as possible.

You do not want to buy ASUS GPUs...  avoid when possible.

EVGA has the one best customer care practices in the industry, don't mess with ASUS.

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

You do not want to buy ASUS GPUs...  avoid when possible.

EVGA has the one best customer care practices in the industry, don't mess with ASUS.

SO don't buy Asus GPU's on the off chance you have to do warranty claims?

4 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

SO don't buy Asus GPU's on the off chance you have to do warranty claims?

Yes.