SSD at 100 percent Load

My ssd (c drive) seems to constantly be running at 100 percent load. It will peak at for a minute or two and then it will dip back down to a few percent load. This happened even when using a fresh install of Windows 10. Does anybody have any ideas on how to address this problem? 

How I have tried to fix it

Checked it using windows error checking tool

Optimized the drive using the trim feature

Ran a virus scan

Disabled  "Windows Search" and "Superfetch"

it's most likely trying to update

try with network disconnected if it behaves similarly

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

it's most likely trying to update

try with network disconnected if it behaves similarly

It seems to behave about the same. I disconnected my internet and found not a whole lot of change. The period in between (from 2 or 3 percent to 100 percent) lasts a little while longer when disconnected. 

I did this while doing some document editing and playing music/music videos. No other intensive programs were running. 

23 minutes ago, zMeul said:

use Resource Monitor / disk and see what exactly is using it

i have looked at that a few times but dont really know how to interpret what I am looking at.  The programs that show up there are not "static" if that makes sense. They will be there for a few seconds and then go away while the problem still persists. 

3 minutes ago, TheRealWeeden said:

i have looked at that a few times but dont really know how to interpret what I am looking at.  The programs that show up there are not "static" if that makes sense. They will be there for a few seconds and then go away while the problem still persists. 

sort by Total (B/s)

when you see one with huge amount of usage, tick the check box from the left of it's name and expand the Disk Activity

if you can't make heads or tails, screen cap it and post it here

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

sort by Total (B/s)

when you see one with huge amount of usage, tick the check box from the left of it's name and expand the Disk Activity

if you can't make heads or tails, screen cap it and post it here

I did some tinkering and turned essentially all programs running and still got the same results so I restarted my pc, waited a few minutes and then screencapped this.  

Adata SP550 Load.png

2 hours ago, TheRealWeeden said:

I did some tinkering and turned essentially all programs running and still got the same results so I restarted my pc, waited a few minutes and then screencapped this.  

Adata SP550 Load.png

I cannot see the image you uploaded

use imgur or some other service

17 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I cannot see the image you uploaded

use imgur or some other service

Darn it. Ill do that asap

Just now, TheRealWeeden said:

Here is the link zMeul https://imgur.com/gallery/m8FYW

yes, but you didn't do what I asked ...

1st, get that Task Manager window out of the way

2nd, sort by Total (B/s)

3d, when you see huge usage, like for example that System , check it on the left where I marked with red and expand Disk Activity

OelUD3q.png

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

yes, but you didn't do what I asked ...

1st, get that Task Manager window out of the way

2nd, sort by Total (B/s)

3d, when you see huge usage, like for example that System , check it on the left where I marked with red and expand Disk Activity

OelUD3q.png

Sorry. I missunderstood. My bad. I will do it again

3 minutes ago, TheRealWeeden said:

Sorry. I missunderstood. My bad. I will do it again

but, from what I can already see, you have Avast - and it has a noticeable activity

antiviruses have the habit of doing "shit" (scanning start-up programs, updating) when system boots - I see mostly reads and not a whole lot of writes

one thing you can do is to disable Avast (it if allows you) or simply uninstall it and see if the system behaves differently

23 hours ago, zMeul said:

but, from what I can already see, you have Avast - and it has a noticeable activity

antiviruses have the habit of doing "shit" (scanning start-up programs, updating) when system boots - I see mostly reads and not a whole lot of writes

one thing you can do is to disable Avast (it if allows you) or simply uninstall it and see if the system behaves differently

I tried disabling Avast and didnt make it very far before I ended up getting a 2 blue screens. I think I am just going to re install and try to slowly install programs and see if one of them is causing the problem. 

1 minute ago, TheRealWeeden said:

I tried disabling Avast and didnt make it very far before I ended up getting a 2 blue screens. I think I am just going to re install and try to slowly install programs and see if one of them is causing the problem. 

blue screens .. that doesn't sound like a healthy OS (or quite possibly defective HW)

Just now, zMeul said:

blue screens .. that doesn't sound like a healthy OS (or quite possibly defective HW)

That's what I am thinking. If it is a defective piece of hardware I dont know what it could be. I am going to try and swap in a few spare parts to see if it changes anything. Hopefully I will find out soon. This is driving me mad. 

9 hours ago, TheRealWeeden said:

That's what I am thinking. If it is a defective piece of hardware I dont know what it could be. I am going to try and swap in a few spare parts to see if it changes anything. Hopefully I will find out soon. This is driving me mad. 

Try another SATA port on the motherboard or try swapping SATA cables. I had a sata cable that got slightly cut when I didn't put a side panel on correctly...and when Windows tried to load, sometimes it worked enough to make it to the desktop, but if you tapped the case, it would bluescreen with IO Error. It drove me nuts until I swapped the cable out.

15 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Try another SATA port on the motherboard or try swapping SATA cables. I had a sata cable that got slightly cut when I didn't put a side panel on correctly...and when Windows tried to load, sometimes it worked enough to make it to the desktop, but if you tapped the case, it would bluescreen with IO Error. It drove me nuts until I swapped the cable out.

I will have to test that out when I get home. I think most of my sata cables are recycled from previous computers I have owned. I would not be surprised if one was worn out/malfunctioning. I tried switching sata ports but I am pretty sure that isnt the problem becuase all of my other hardware using the various ports function normally. Thanks for the suggestions!

On 8/31/2016 at 6:30 AM, scottyseng said:

Unfortunately I havent had noticeable success with swapping the cable or port. Do you know of any testing software for sata ports?