2nd PC Build - Hopefully I Learned From My 1st Time

ramzabeoulve

I built my first desktop in 2011. Throughout the years, I have upgraded the GPU and some storage. However, my motherboard died so I decided this was the time to build anew. I do gaming and consume media. My productivity work consists of mostly databases and web programming. So I decided that I didn't need the i7. This is what I ordered on 8/19. The case came in today, the rest of the parts come in tomorrow. Hopefully build this weekend.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor    (Purchased For $219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler    (Purchased For $74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard    (Purchased For $219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory    (Purchased For $81.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case    (Purchased For $89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply   (Purchased For $99.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive     (Salvage From 1st Build)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive    (Salvage From 1st Build)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  (Salvage From 1st Build)

Base Price: $783.95

Shipping: $2.99

Combo Discounts: -$24.99
Promo Discounts: -$18.20
Total Rebates: -$40.00

Total Including Discounts, Shipping, Taxes: $706.74

I didn't expect the color scheme to come out this well as I was merely on the lookout for good deals. xD Because of that, I guess I need a name or quote to represent the project so here is a quote from Neon Genesis Evangelion, "Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."

Things I am doing with the 2nd build different than the first build

• More confidence with overclocking
  • Much much, better cable management
  • Air cooler rather than AIO

5 minutes ago, ramzabeoulve said:

I built my first desktop in 2011. Throughout the years, I have upgraded the GPU and some storage. However, my motherboard died so I decided this was the time to build anew. I do gaming and consume media. My productivity work consists of mostly databases and web programming. So I decided that I didn't need the i7. This is what I ordered on 8/19. The case came in today, the rest of the parts come in tomorrow. Hopefully build this weekend.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor    (Purchased For $219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler    (Purchased For $74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard    (Purchased For $219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory    (Purchased For $81.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case    (Purchased For $89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply   (Purchased For $99.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive     (Salvage From 1st Build)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive    (Salvage From 1st Build)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  (Salvage From 1st Build)

Base Price: $783.95

Shipping: $2.99

Combo Discounts: -$24.99
Promo Discounts: -$18.20
Total Rebates: -$40.00

Total Including Discounts, Shipping, Taxes: $706.74

I didn't expect the color scheme to come out this well as I was merely on the lookout for good deals. xD Because of that, I guess I need a name or quote to represent the project so here is a quote from Neon Genesis Evangelion, "Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."

Things I am doing with the 2nd build different than the first build

• More confidence with overclocking
  • Much much, better cable management
  • Air cooler rather than AIO

That air cooler LOOKS to me like it will outperform entry level AIO, so I wouldn't worry too much about OC'ing that i5 to 4.5Ghz.