Compter Crashing Randomly

Electro_XD

Hi, recently, my computer has been crashing a lot and I'm trying to find a solution. The computer I've built is fairly new, I've built it about 2 months ago. Whenever my computer crashes, it seems to boot itself up. I'm not sure if this is suppose to happen or not. I've overclocked my cpu before, but when the crashing started to happen, I've turned it back to the stock settings (3.5ghz), but my computer still seems to be crashing. What might be the problem here?

Specs:

i5 6600k

Corsair H100i v2

Vengence 16GB

Maximus VIII Hero

Strix GTX 1070

Corsair RM850x

1 minute ago, Shingouki said:

do you have some logs? Does your OS say something about that?

How do I check for those? My windows 10 didn't say anything, or at least I think so.

press start on your keyboard
Write "event viewer"
Run as administrator

From there, you can see everything

press start on your keyboard
Write "event viewer"
Run as administrator

From there, you can see everything

In the critical section, its saying that theres a problem. With the source from the kernel-power and the event ID of 41, what does that mean? Theres also an error section that has a lot of other problems as well, do I have to list all of those in order to fix it? Thanks

double click on that, it will give you more info.

IF it says only 1 event, and you had more reboots, probably it's not the cause, but let's check it anyway

double click on that, it will give you more info.

IF it says only 1 event, and you had more reboots, probably it's not the cause, but let's check it anyway

77 events... I think that's the problem.

i tought you said one.
Anyway, if you click on one, (obviously check even others to see if' it is always the same) it should give all the info we need in the lower window

11 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

i tought you said one.
Anyway, if you click on one, (obviously check even others to see if' it is always the same) it should give all the info we need in the lower window

Well, just to clear things up, here's an image of what I've seen

Screen.PNG

Go on critical: 2 in the last 2 hours, double click on that system, kernel-power

3 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

Go on critical: 2 in the last 2 hours, double click on that system, kernel-power

Like this?

Screen2.PNG

It's ok scott, i'm gonna ask you some questions

1) how did you revert from overclock? Reset to default values?
2) Are all drivers up to date?
3) Is your PSU working good?
4) When does it happen?

2 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

It's ok scott, i'm gonna ask you some questions

1) how did you revert from overclock? Reset to default values?
2) Are all drivers up to date?
3) Is your PSU working good?
4) When does it happen?

Thanks, sorry for the late-ish reply.

1. I've went into the bios and pressed load optimised defaults.

2. I'm pretty sure, I've updated all of my drivers when I've built my computer about 2 months ago.

3. I'm not sure what do you mean by working good? What signs might it show when its not?

4. It started about 2 weeks ago, my computer shuts down without any warning, sometimes when I'm gaming, sometimes even just browsing the web. 

Just for being sure, check the drivers again, recently there was a major update rollout in windows.

Checking the voltages in bios is the easiest and somewhat accurate way to check it. the motherboard should warn you if there is a 15% error from the value (ex 12v +/- 1,8v) but for a new PSU (and high end too) it should be much lower.

I am just asking everything: did you make a good wiring job?

Look, it's unlikely that it's an hardware issue after only 2 months, so i'd go for drivers, but i always first check the hardware.

29 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

Just for being sure, check the drivers again, recently there was a major update rollout in windows.

Checking the voltages in bios is the easiest and somewhat accurate way to check it. the motherboard should warn you if there is a 15% error from the value (ex 12v +/- 1,8v) but for a new PSU (and high end too) it should be much lower.

I am just asking everything: did you make a good wiring job?

Look, it's unlikely that it's an hardware issue after only 2 months, so i'd go for drivers, but i always first check the hardware.

- I've checked my drivers through Driver Talent (DriveTheLife) and it says that everything is up to date. 

- I've checked the voltage and heres the numbers it showed, is this the numbers I needed?

- I think I did a pretty decent wiring job, everything is where it should be.

IMG_20160817_200557_01.jpg

Those voltages are perfect, unless they move too much, don't bother anymore checking them.

I don't trust those drivers programs, so i'll ask you to check the official sites. I remember one of those i tried (others didn't work well, always missing something) installed gigs of drivers bloating that poor windows xp just downgraded from vista. Since then i never looked for a program for drivers. If they work like before, i would be worried for your system right now.

I've had this issue. Cannot say for sure whether my fix is a definite fix, but it's relatively easy to check. Disable any overclocking you may have done and set your power option to balance instead of performance in the control panel.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

On 8/18/2016 at 6:57 AM, Avericious said:

I've had this issue. Cannot say for sure whether my fix is a definite fix, but it's relatively easy to check. Disable any overclocking you may have done and set your power option to balance instead of performance in the control panel.

Thanks, but I've already turned my clock speeds and voltages back to the default settings, which is why I'm not sure whats the problem.

On 8/18/2016 at 6:47 AM, Shingouki said:

Those voltages are perfect, unless they move too much, don't bother anymore checking them.

I don't trust those drivers programs, so i'll ask you to check the official sites. I remember one of those i tried (others didn't work well, always missing something) installed gigs of drivers bloating that poor windows xp just downgraded from vista. Since then i never looked for a program for drivers. If they work like before, i would be worried for your system right now.

Hmm, I don't seem to have any problems at the moment, but I've uninstalled it just in case. Thanks for warning me 

I seem to have the exact same problem, this started occurring when I overclocked my GPU slightly.
First there was nothing, but after somewhat long sessions of gaming my computer would just randomly turn itself off and on again, no blue screen, no "GPU stopped working", no nothing. After looking at event viewer I found that critical event ID 41 Task (63), after searching google I found people having fixed this issue through various ways (perhaps they occur from different reasons as well?).
It seem'd that my temps were fine, and I didn't feel like my OC was that extreme that it should cause system shutdowns like that. I tried stress testing my  OC'd GPU with no increased power limit in Valley but didn't get any crashes. I want to try and replicate this crash so I can more easily figure out how to fix it.
How are you progressing with this issue?

Sorry if i didn't reply anymore.

Just making the point:
Everything reverted to stock (motherboard and graphic card)
PSU working fine
Everything is clean
Not overheating
drivers up to date
did i miss something?

Did you check also for firmware updates?
Can you start your windows in diagnostic mode (use msconfig)? Just to be sure there is no program executed on boot that can create them (not plausible, considering the type of problem you're encountering, but i'm really running out of options)

I get this exact problem, although not to the extent you are with numerous critical errors. My thinking is that it might be my PSU as it is about.....6-7 years old. I've also noticed that if my graphics card is put under a lot of stress the driver stops working, freezes my computer and if it recovers there's a nVidia pop-up saying there was a kernal error and that the driver has recovered. Not sure if related though. :/