Recent frame drops

Ethan_Honan
Go to solution Solved by EChondo,

Your motherboard does not have the FX8320 listed as a supported CPU: http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-VS3 FX/?cat=CPU

Also, your motherboard does not have any Windows 10 drivers listed for download, so it could be something on that front.

However, before you start swapping hardware and software, you should try a different game that is not based on the Source engine. The Source engine, especially the build CSGO uses, has had numerous issues with performance.

If other games don't give you issues then it's probably CSGO's fault, but if other games do have similar issues then use MSI Afterburner and Task Manager and see if your GPU Core Clock and CPU Speed(GHz) are being boosted to their max(or at least close to it) when gaming.

I know some people have had issues with "power saving" features that would block the GPU/CPU from being utilized properly. AMD has a power saving feature called "ULPS" for their GPUs that can cause this, which can be disabled via MSI Afterburner or Regedit(I would use MSI Afterburner though, just in case).

If that doesn't solve your issue you could try installing Windows 7 since your motherboard supports it and see if it's a compatibility issue with Windows 10. If that doesn't work then it might just be your motherboard then.

Honestly I have a i7-3770 and a R9 390 and I have terrible drops in CSGO and I've tried everything I could think of and nothing has seemed to fix it. I started having issues back when Valve introduced the R8 Revolver, so back in November 2015.

Best of luck!

So recently I have been having lots of frame drops in game like Counter Strike - Going from 299- 45 then it goes up again. I have had a fresh reinstall of windows 10, I have updated my drivers. I think it could be my motherboard, but I have no clue as I had no problems before, It was only recently this has been happening 

Here are my specs:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    AMD FX-8320
RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
    ASRock N68-VS3 FX
Graphics
    2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 260x XFX
Storage
    119GB Crucial_ CT128MX100SS SCSI Disk Device (SSD)    
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM 003-1CH162 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)    
    465GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00AZLX-00CL5 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)    

Just now, Tom is a Door said:

sounds like thermal throttle, either your gpu or cpu is throttling down due to heat

Even at gaming it goes up to a maximum of 65°C on the GPU and the CPU goes to 55°C

3 minutes ago, Ethan_Honan said:

Even at gaming it goes up to a maximum of 65°C on the GPU and the CPU goes to 55°C

Turn on triple buffered v sync i had this problem and it helped alot in cs.

3 minutes ago, Emart1028 said:

Turn on triple buffered v sync i had this problem and it helped alot in cs.

I tried it out DM quickly, I don't think it helped as I do comp matches and I really don't want mouse delay. Thanks for trying to help.

Just now, Ethan_Honan said:

I tried it out DM quickly, I don't think it helped as I do comp matches and I really don't want mouse delay. Thanks for trying to help.

Have you OCed your gpu? I've also had a problem like this when i OCed too high

2 minutes ago, Emart1028 said:

Have you OCed your gpu? I've also had a problem like this when i OCed too high

I am running a stock cooler so I left it as it was, without any sort of oc on it.

I really dont know, my last choice would be to play around with your settings i guess

Trust me, I have. I think it could be my motherboard, I was told it could handle my processor fine. I bought it and it has worked fine and it turns out it can't handle the 8 cores so I disabled two of them (as it is meant to handle 6 cores) and it is still running bad. I may have burnt out my board or something. I really don't know

Your motherboard does not have the FX8320 listed as a supported CPU: http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-VS3 FX/?cat=CPU

Also, your motherboard does not have any Windows 10 drivers listed for download, so it could be something on that front.

However, before you start swapping hardware and software, you should try a different game that is not based on the Source engine. The Source engine, especially the build CSGO uses, has had numerous issues with performance.

If other games don't give you issues then it's probably CSGO's fault, but if other games do have similar issues then use MSI Afterburner and Task Manager and see if your GPU Core Clock and CPU Speed(GHz) are being boosted to their max(or at least close to it) when gaming.

I know some people have had issues with "power saving" features that would block the GPU/CPU from being utilized properly. AMD has a power saving feature called "ULPS" for their GPUs that can cause this, which can be disabled via MSI Afterburner or Regedit(I would use MSI Afterburner though, just in case).

If that doesn't solve your issue you could try installing Windows 7 since your motherboard supports it and see if it's a compatibility issue with Windows 10. If that doesn't work then it might just be your motherboard then.

Honestly I have a i7-3770 and a R9 390 and I have terrible drops in CSGO and I've tried everything I could think of and nothing has seemed to fix it. I started having issues back when Valve introduced the R8 Revolver, so back in November 2015.

Best of luck!

I agree with Echondo to an extent. If you aren't having issues with that CPU and motherboard combo, you should be.

However, in my experiences with Windows 10 thus far, I have found that it is highly susceptible to high DPC latency caused by either improper or corrupted drivers. Given that you had no issues before, and only the OS has changed as a factor, I'd be highly inclined to believe that you may be suffering from this sort of issue.

Here's a little program I like to use, and it should give you a fairly good rundown of what your system is doing:

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

The things you are looking for are hard page faults, and high total execution time for drivers.

Thanks for the help, after a recent update to windows 10, it seems to be running a little better. I have disabled the ULPS on MSI afterburner and tried out a few games, not as much frame drops as there was, but frame drops are to be expected with my sort of PC build. I will be buying a new motherboard sometime in the future.